Google is to start building its own self-driving cars

I had no idea there were so many technophobes on yappi. I'm kind of surprised people would be against advancements like this. I guess I shouldn't be though.

You still have that issue today when technology fails. I'm not seeing the difference.

When technology fails you still have a steering wheel and brakes and barring a catastrophic mechanical failure, you can still maintain some control of the vehicle. What about when there are no controls and the computer has full authority? Is the operator still liable for failure to maintain the vehicle? Or does the car manufacturer get the lawsuit in every instance? If it's the former, nobody will ever want one of these things. If it's the latter, the price could be ridiculous and slow or outright stall adoption. The day may someday come when there's driverless cars on the road, but I don't think it will be in any of our lifetimes. It also won't be in America first.

Electric and hybrid are probably the fastest growing segment in automobiles by far.

Well, gee Mr. Wizard! Do tell... what other power source advances has there been for automobiles in the last 100 years??? Last I checked, gasoline and diesel have dominated for about 95 years or so. Of COURSE electric and hybrid are the fastes growing segments... there ain't no others. :laugh:

#BillnieEPaint

butanol
bacon grease
hydrogen
solar
I think the Batmobile is atomic?
mine works best when using gravity to advantage. Kind of a one way trip though.

butanol
bacon grease
hydrogen
solar
I think the Batmobile is atomic?
mine works best when using gravity to advantage. Kind of a one way trip though.

All flash in the pan. You forgot steam. Solar can be lumped in with battery, which is lumped back in with electric. Bio diesel is far from a solution because they jus ain't dat many fries in da world. Allow me to clarify... VIABLE and not Star Trekkie.

No, I think it would be a threat to the entire service. Who's going to call a cab when they don't have to drive or can call their car to come get them?

The people who can't afford what these sure to be monstrous price tagged Radio Shackmobiles will cost.

No, I think it would be a threat to the entire service. Who's going to call a cab when they don't have to drive or can call their car to come get them?

I'm thinking that if you fly from Pittsburg to Chicago, and want to drive your car in Chicago, it's probably going to have to leave the night before you do.....

how are you getting to the airport ? Park-n-Fly is going to suffer under your plan.

Well, gee Mr. Wizard! Do tell... what other power source advances has there been for automobiles in the last 100 years??? Last I checked, gasoline and diesel have dominated for about 95 years or so. Of COURSE electric and hybrid are the fastes growing segments... there ain't no others. :laugh:

#BillnieEPaint

I was referring to it being the fastest growing category of vehicle, not power source.

I was referring to it being the fastest growing category of vehicle, not power source.

I guess a person could emphasize stuff like this - http://evobsession.com/electric-car-sales-increased-228-88-2013/

What percentage of cars actually on the road are electric or hybrid ? Percentage growth figures are obviously deceiving when you are considering such a small fraction.

I haven't heard horror stories yet for repair costs on older hybrids, but they're coming, no doubt.

The most successful hybrid's sales are in decline. It's still the best hybrid, but the tax incentives went away. Without the IRS paying people deficit dollars to drive them, the cost-recovery equation changes dramatically.

I was referring to it being the fastest growing category of vehicle, not power source. Just dumb.

Is there some other type of vehicle besides a car/truck/motorcycle? "Category" of vehicle, unless they come with a unicycle of some sort, would only be sorted by power source.

In to a very, very, small pile, when compared to gas vehicles.

Doubling hybrid sales next year could easily translate to a 3% gain in the overall market share of annual sales of all new vehicles.

Compared to gas vehicles and types of gas vehicles.

My only point was hybrids/electric vehicles are mainstream; 3-4% of all vehicles sold is significant.

All flash in the pan. You forgot steam. Solar can be lumped in with battery, which is lumped back in with electric. Bio diesel is far from a solution because they jus ain't dat many fries in da world. Allow me to clarify... VIABLE and not Star Trekkie.

Da lump is on yo head, lol. Just joining in.

Don't think you could legitimately lump them and they are all VIABLE. They all work. You're just changing the definition of "viable" to "absolute" so to appear to win some sort of debate. Can't do dat.

These are all sources of energy. "Steam" as you mentioned, is not though we could still include coal/wood and other similar sources since they are viable producers of both steam and electricity, both of which are used to power vehicles. We can also add thermal and wave and other forms of hydro gravity based energy.

Three year olds glued to (facing the same direction) a playground roundabouts hasn't yet been exploited. I think there's lots of potential there.

Last edited:
Hybrid is a category. It's often compared to SUV, types of sedans, etc.

Come on man. You're reaching here. First, your "hybrid is a category" theory is completely wrong. Why? Because a hybrid is a type of power source. You can't say hybrids are a different category from SUV's or compacts because both SUV's and compacts can be hybrids. It's a propulsion system, and in the context of the 'fastest growing propulsion system" electric and electric assist are the only other options besides gasoline and diesel. So of course they're the fastest "growing". They're the only other option.

And 3 percent is mainstream???? You're reaching so far on this one I'm gonna start calling you Stretch Armstrong.

I've seen it reported that way a lot. Anyway, the adoption of hybrid/electric won't be widespread until battery technology improves in cost and charging stations become fast and readily available. Tesla is really speeding up that cycle. I'd expect market share to climb into double digits over the next 5-10 yrs.

I've seen it reported that way a lot. Anyway, the adoption of hybrid/electric won't be widespread until battery technology improves in cost and charging stations become fast and readily available. Tesla is really speeding up that cycle. I'd expect market share to climb into double digits over the next 5-10 yrs.

In fairness, Tesla makes up 3 of the 6 electric junk wagons i've seen on the road. (Saw one last night). Still yet, 10 years away is 10 years away.

Electric cars aren't practical yet for the reasons I mentioned-- limited range, limited/slow charge stations, and expensive batteries. Right now, hybrids are the best available option until those are resolved.