Good Luck

Is luck a zero sum kind of thing? If half the teams have good luck it seems like the other half might have bad luck? Don’t know how everyone could have good luck.

It looks like
East Canton #3
Summit County Day#2
Mt Gilead #4
Holgate #6
Canton Central #8
Columbus Grove #5
Cedarville #1

Thomas Caputo was the indivual winner

Last edited:
Is there any free sites to watch?
Free? No.

The NFHS monthly subscription rate is $11, or you can pay $70 for an entire year. I paid the monthly rate and will probably cancel it by the end of the day, so I don't forget before they roll over my subscription and charge me for another month. Milesplit got a few extra years out of me due to my forgetting to cancel my subscription. Anyhow, the $11 gets me everything on the NFHS channel for the next month (I'll assume certain events are archived and can be watched again later). I figure I got the same view you'd get from the bleachers (but zoomed in a little) for $1 less than a ticket, 4+ hours less of traveling, and other expenses (food and gas). For how much money I waste on other vices during the course of a month, I'm fine with what I got for the $11. The video feed is about 3.5 minutes behind the race clock.

Last edited:
It looks like
East Canton #3
Summit County Day#2
Mt Gilead #4
Holgate #6
Canton Central #8
Columbus Grove #5
Cedarville #1

Thomas Caputo was the indivual winner

I thought Summit CD was the favorite coming in. EC's top 2 guys ran extremely well, and their depth behind matched Summit CD's depth. Only EC's #3 runner graduates from among the top 8 or 9 runners on the team, so they'll be heavy favorites to repeat with all that they will have returning. Also, EC made up a lot of ground on some teams as the year progressed when you look at where they were in the 1st half of the season vs. where they finished today. For those who don't know, Coach Sternberg started EC's boys XC program circa 1973 and is the only coach the program has ever had.

Last edited:
So you are okay to cut into your "corner saloon" money?
Haha!

Not that kind of a guy regardless of COVID (anyone who has ever gone to a bar while single knows you don't go there to practice social distancing), but you got the idea. Main vices of late here are snack cakes, candy bars, and bicycle tools. 1 less mega-sized bag of Butterfingers will do me some good in exchange for watching the best HS runners in Ohio duking it out on the XC course.

BTW, the tiebreak subject from earlier in the season comes full circle. Holgate "prevailed" for 4th place in the D3 boys team competition after tying Canton CC. In the supposed absence of a rule to govern that situation, I do not know how it was determined that Holgate "prevailed."

BTW, the tiebreak subject from earlier in the season comes full circle. Holgate "prevailed" for 4th place in the D3 boys team competition after tying Canton CC. In the supposed absence of a rule to govern that situation, I do not know how it was determined that Holgate "prevailed."
Looks like Waynesville also "prevailed" over Unioto in a tie to take second place in the DII boys' race, if the current results hold up. "Prevailing" seems to be prevalent today.

Bay sure dug themselves a hole if you look at their 1 mile placing. Woodridge ran just too smart and too tough for the field. Congratulations to them!

What happen to ndcl ?
If none of them competed, I’ll assume COVID until I hear different. For a bus breakdown, you usually find a way to have someone show up and get the kids to the meet. I wish I didn’t know about bus breakdowns...

Props to Woodridge on #10! I assume Champa is the program’s 1st boys individual champ since Henes?

Paging psycho-dad for the answer to that one....

BTW, I like the “Peninsula” jerseys. Will there be Boston Township jerseys next year?

Last edited:
Have there ever been State Championships "prevailed" by a tie?
Yes. Off the top of my head:
‘88 Caldwell boys over East Canton. IIRC, Caldwell even had a runner on the team whose family had moved from East Canton.

‘14 McDonald girls over Garaway (or was it ‘15?).

Last edited:
I found 3 instances (1936,1948, and class AA 1969) where there was a tie for runner-up but no indication of any tie-breaker.

If none of them competed, I’ll assume COVID until I hear different. For a bus breakdown, you usually find a way to have someone show up and get the kids to the meet. I wish I didn’t know about bus breakdowns...

Props to Woodridge on #10! I assume Champa is the program’s 1st boys individual champ since Henes?

Paging psycho-dad for the answer to that one....

BTW, I like the “Peninsula” jerseys. Will there be Boston Township jerseys next year?
Yes, Champa is the first champ since Henes. He is the first Champ with a team behind him. Hilditch and Himelright went 1-2 in 2006 for team runners but Hilditch was 2nd in the race. Himelright was also 1st in the team standings the next year but was 3rd in the race.

How long are they going to keep that stuff about Caldwell up on the OHSAA site? https://www.ohsaa.org/sports/history/tim-hudak-features/cc
The replacement piece should have been at the ready and inserted as soon as the results were official Saturday.

Funny Story. Coach Howard came up to me after the Billy Goat race in 2017 and said, "If Champa is in our top 5, we aren't going to be very good this year." He was not thrilled with how some upper classmen had trained over the summer and just didn't really perform at that first meet. A few weeks later at the Brecksville meet, he tells me that Champa is a "racer" and "we are going to be pretty good." Champa ended up somewhere about 4th or 5th best freshman that year in D2. Good in MS, much better in HS.

The Peninsula jerseys are pretty nice.