Good Hiking Trails

jtk

since the china virus has started my wife and i like to hike. i'm in swo and looking for good hiking spots other than the most popular spots like hocking etc. i've done mt airy numerous times, shawnee lookout, miami whitewater. did clifton gorge today and it was awesome. any other good places?

jtk
()

I can't provide personal experience near you but maybe this link can help.

Trail Locator

You can type any location into the search engine. I just picked something close to you. You may have to zoom out a bit. If ever up NWO I'd recomment Farnsworth Park and head up river. Isolated from modern life enough on both sides of the river, it's easy to imagine being an old voyager. Plenty of good resting stops. Even river front camp sites that can be reseaved and liveries. Ann Arbor has an extensive system along the Huron River. Also with several liveries.

EIB

Last edited:
Right outside Cedarville, Oh heading West on 42 there is a walking park that is one of the best in the state of Ohio. I think there is three places where you can park your car and walk the trails. Some are pretty steep though. You can even walk down by the river/creek if the water is low enough. There's a lot of trails. I highly suggest at least one trip there. You'll love it. They even have a picnic table overlooking the falls. You can get the local pizza or Subway and take it there and afterwards walk the trails.

Clifton/John Bryan is great but as El Indio said very small. I would wait for that until things start opening up though, it's fun to explore Yellow Spring and grab a beer or two after hiking around. Ault Park a little bit before you get into the main park area has some nice trails. Miami Whitewater has some long trails. Devou Park in Covington. Otto Armleder.

Back in the day we used to hang out in YS at the Ole Tavern and drink cold ones and people watch. That place is so fun. Everyone living life at they choose and no discrimination to be seen. And the girls were always a welcome sight!

If you are willing to drive. Cedar Creek Metro Park is really nice. Zaleski State Forest south loop is challenging and is a lot of ridgeline hiking - so if you don't like heights, it can be a little anxiety-inducing. Just did Wildcat Hollow yesterday. Really liked that one. The full loop is 17 miles but there's a short loop also.

North of Dayton there is Taylorsville dam park and trails. Round loop is about 7 miles.

Near Germantown, rugged trails but plenty of length along twin creek, I think it is a state park but can't remember the name. Between Bellbrook and Centerville are a few good hiking trails. The one out of these most similar to Clifton Gorge is Taylorsville Dam on rt 40 just north of Huber Heights and east of Vandalia.

Englewood Dam has some decent trails, but very short.

If you go to Taylorsville another good trail close by (1.8 mile long) is Charleston falls, a Miami County park on Ross rd. It currently is closed due to high volume during covid. I have walked that loop an estimated 6000 times and my wife about the same number. We like it.

Thanks for the replies. I will try to hit as many of these trails that i can. i am heading to clifty falls as soon as i have a couple days in a row without rain. heard they had some good trails.

jtk
()