Gone never more

Software limitation...the NEW board allows a max of 5 media inbedded links + I've got to let others
get some stuff in.

~~~~~~~~

I knew of 2 PDQs in the Canton area...
one near Central Catholic H.S. on the N. side of the street...
the other in N.E....near intersection of Harrisburg Rd. / U.S.62 / 30th Street.

:>---

EGA
YEP those are the ones.....

Travel edition.

Triptiks
22289765898_03de886713_z.jpg

Holiday House restaurants on the Turnpike
70ea511c3b85421878d300e104d6f963.jpg

Full Service Gas Station (Unless you live in New Jersey)
gas.jpg

Travel edition.

Triptiks
22289765898_03de886713_z.jpg

Holiday House restaurants on the Turnpike
70ea511c3b85421878d300e104d6f963.jpg

Full Service Gas Station (Unless you live in New Jersey)
gas.jpg

Doesn't Oregon have full-service stations as well?

EDIT: Oregon recently legalized self-service but only at stand alone stations in counties that have 40,000 people or less. Self-service stations had been banned in Oregon from 1951-2018.

Last edited:
Is the North Olmsted bus line still in use? I had to ride that hellish form of torture for four years as I went from Westlake to Ignatius. I once counted the stoplights on that trip and I came up with 52. Instead of waterboarding those prisoners at Gitmo, the US should have put them on that busline and they would have talked after only five trips.

Howard Johnson's restruants

From WW-II untli the late 60's at least; They had the contract for the service plazas on the
turnpike in Ohio, also PA, and NJ. Used to stop and grab a quick bite / gas / souvenir; on many
trips to NYC with my Dad back in the days before I went into the Marines.

Orange roof with a cupola & weather vane
28 flavors of Ice Cream
220px-Howard_Johnsons_restaurant_1999_PA_entrance.jpg

220px-Howard_Johnson%27s_on_Afton_Mountain%2C_2003_closeup.jpg

Canton didn't have a Howard Johnson's but there was one on the East side of Wooster on US 30,
that we used to stop at every once in a while.After it closed, I believe it was a 'Gentlemans'
club for a while. The last time I went by there it was a Chinese Restruant.

HJ was parodied in 'Blazing Saddles' Orange Roof ~ with 1 Flavor.

Gas station attendant: my first and bestest job ever.

I know New Hampshire and Vermont still have full-service stations.

Getting gas at one is kind of like being on-stage wondering what to do with your hands. You know you're supposed to do something, you're just not sure what. Are you supposed to get out of the car and chit-chat? Say, "check the oil please?" Smoke a cigarette?

Howard Johnson's restruants

From WW-II untli the late 60's at least; They had the contract for the service plazas on the
turnpike in Ohio, also PA, and NJ. Used to stop and grab a quick bite / gas / souvenir; on many
trips to NYC with my Dad back in the days before I went into the Marines.

Orange roof with a cupola & weather vane
28 flavors of Ice Cream
220px-Howard_Johnsons_restaurant_1999_PA_entrance.jpg

220px-Howard_Johnson%27s_on_Afton_Mountain%2C_2003_closeup.jpg

Canton didn't have a Howard Johnson's but there was one on the East side of Wooster on US 30,
that we used to stop at every once in a while.After it closed, I believe it was a 'Gentlemans'
club for a while. The last time I went by there it was a Chinese Restruant.

HJ was parodied in 'Blazing Saddles' Orange Roof ~ with 1 Flavor.

You must've read my mind. I almost asked about HoJo's earlier today. I'm fairly certain there was a HoJo's in Perry Twp. not too far east of the Massillon city limits on Lincoln Way which was still U.S. 30 in those days. There is a building on the north side of the road with the proper architecture sans cupola. I believe it's a doctor's office now or was a doctor's office and is now available for lease.

IIRC, the name of that "Gentlemen's Club" east of Wooster was Club Bacchus. No, I never stopped there, but I drove past it plenty of times on my way to and from Central Ohio until they finally built the freeway section from Orrville to Wooster and cut nearly 10 more minutes off the trip.

Just found this resource: http://www.highwayhost.org/Stategateways/ohio.html

L & K Restaurants?

Used to visit one in Port Clinton often when we went to Lakeside, if I remember right. Didn't it also have a motel?

Sky Scraper Cone...

Isalylogo.jpg

There was an Islay's in Canton ~ S.E. Corner of Cleveland & 12th St. NW

==========

The 9-Passenger Station Wagon
280px-1975_Dodge_Coronet_Crestwood.jpg

280px-1967_Ford_Country_Squire.jpg

SALT

L & K Restaurants?

Used to visit one in Port Clinton often when we went to Lakeside, if I remember right. Didn't it also have a motel?
yup

24 hrs at Highland and 8 in Macedonia for many years. The motel had a decent pool, even.

Last edited:
While talking about Cedar Point...

One of the 1st metal coasters in the world was the Jumbo Jet:

hqdefault.jpg

Not as fast as the taller wooden coasters but it was intimidating. Very loud and those banked turns were a game changer that wooden coaster could not duplicate. Also the slow circular climb was a cool feature. I was told though that it was a death trap and by looks of the leaning column holding up the top of the first hill and the pronounced swaying the heavy cars created on those turns made it look like nothing more than a glorified erector set.

Is the North Olmsted bus line still in use? I had to ride that hellish form of torture for four years as I went from Westlake to Ignatius. I once counted the stoplights on that trip and I came up with 52. Instead of waterboarding those prisoners at Gitmo, the US should have put them on that busline and they would have talked after only five trips.
NOMBL was taken over by RTA 10 or so years ago. I think the City took over the old bus garage. RTA pretty much ran NOMBL for years anyway. It was way overdue to disband it.

Pre 1974 Goal Posts were on the Goal Line...

NCAA rules (which the NFL copied) moved the goalposts to the rear of the end zone in 1927, fans complained of too many
ties, so the uprights were advanced back to the line in ’33. Also before the 'goose neck' both uprights (wood) were planted
on the goal line or the end line.

SALT

Last edited: