Gone never more

Belly35

What items, objects, places are gone from your childhood growing up?

Rotary Phone, Phone Booths, Red Barn, Sohio Gas Stations, Cap guns, just to mane a few

Another board I frequent has a running nostalgia thread where folks post pictures of things you don't see that much anymore. Here are a few favorites>

Dob93fSW4AAKd7p.jpg

51j5ud-16KL._SX385_.jpg

H9if1sb.jpg

How did we ever make it out of the '70s alive?

Another board I frequent has a running nostalgia thread where folks post pictures of things you don't see that much anymore. Here are a few favorites>

Dob93fSW4AAKd7p.jpg

51j5ud-16KL._SX385_.jpg

H9if1sb.jpg

I have an old bat like those and someone who was over last week asked where I got it.

Had to tell em back in the day, bat day at the park was when they gave a full size bat, and they couldn't believe it.

Tube testers...

At your local Drug Store, "5 and dime" or grocery store; TVs and radios had vacuum
tubes, if the device quit working,you took the back off, pulled the tubes and went to the
store and inserted each into the tester, adjusted the settings and pushed the test
button. A dial would indicate good or replaced. The store would have the most common
tubes for sale.

===

Typewriter

===

FREE AIR @ your local gas station,
and free road maps.

===

shoe-fitting fluoroscope, put on a new pair of shoes at the local 'Al Bundy' placeof
employment. Slide your feet under the device and check out how they fit.

I remember seeing them in the early to mid 50-'s

They were eventually banned.

220px-NMHM_ShoeFluorscope.jpg

===

TV Antenna tower/masts with a rotor to turn the antenna for better signal.

===

:>---

EGA

Auggie, that last pic is classic. By the looks of it the last kid got some rubber on the back.

I feel like we spent the majority of our summer building ramps for bikes, mini-bikes, dirt bikes...

We'd also be at the pool or quarry challenging each other on the high dive/cliff diving...

The words "I bet you won't" were thrown around often in both instances.

What items, objects, places are gone from your childhood growing up?

Rotary Phone, Phone Booths, Red Barn, Sohio Gas Stations, Cap guns, just to mane a few

I always get a grin when I pass a re-purposed Red Barn building. The one that is an HVAC shop in Stow is a good place to park for the 4th of July parade. Henry Wahner's in Kent was a Red Barn, too.

Family vacations traveling under a pick-up truck cap, in the back without a seat belt in sight, getting yelled at to settle down through the slider windows......which were made weather-tight by a fat tire bicycle inner tube.

Real Jarts.

Archery in Junior High phys ed!! :eek: (20 bows at once, one teacher.......what could go wrong?!)

Tube testers...

At your local Drug Store, "5 and dime" or grocery store; TVs and radios had vacuum
tubes, if the device quit working,you took the back off, pulled the tubes and went to the
store and inserted each into the tester, adjusted the settings and pushed the test
button. A dial would indicate good or replaced. The store would have the most common
tubes for sale.

===

Typewriter

===

FREE AIR @ your local gas station,
and free road maps.

===

shoe-fitting fluoroscope, put on a new pair of shoes at the local 'Al Bundy' placeof
employment. Slide your feet under the device and check out how they fit.

I remember seeing them in the early to mid 50-'s

They were eventually banned.

220px-NMHM_ShoeFluorscope.jpg

===

TV Antenna tower/masts with a rotor to turn the antenna for better signal.

===

EGA

My dad mentioned the shoe store fluoroscopes. They probably gave you in one use as many zoomies as a dozen CAT scans today!!

free air at GetGo

I still have a Joe Camel beach towel

This place was the center of the universe in the summer time for me. We'd whip through our chores early so mom would take us - at least 4 times a week. Just an awesome good time, unless it rained. As the video shows at the beginning, it's a Twinsburg housing development now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xklwWWaOJ8g

The dives were higher than Fell Lake's (now the site of Lawrence Upper School in Sagamore Hills), but Fell was a bit cleaner later on. Fell was a little smaller. Lake Plata's concessions were run by old Hungarian and Polish ladies. So good. Fell was commercial frozen stuff. A soccer club was at Plata, and the Sherwood was a bar at Fell. Kind of crazy that two huge concrete pools were basically at the opposite ends of Ledge Rd.

There was nothing I ever saw like Lake Plata's big slide. No one would insure it today, ever, but yet no one was ever injured there that I ever heard of. Maybe that long climb on the tight spiral stairs was enough to convey the seriousness of what one was doing ?

The kid in the youtube was not very good at it. The right way was to press up all the way vertically, with your hips against the bar above the slide, and get your legs swinging. After three swings back and forth, you could pop up hard enough to get halfway to a handstand, with your head way above the bar and your legs out behind you. Then you'd kick forward and snap down into the actual slide with all your might. If you hit it just right, into a constant stream of water down the stainless steel slide from a 3/4" pipe, you'd barely feel the impact of your feet and back against the board. Hands behind your head, only heels and shoulder blades area touching the sliding board on the way down, you'd get incredible speed going. When you hit the flat at the bottom of the board, you'd snap up into an L seat, and skip across the water like a stone. If everything was executed just right, you'd kind of just settle into the water when your momentum died.

As a teenager in Twinsburg, Nordonia Hills, Aurora, or Brecksville, if you had a membership to Plata, a bag of smoke, and a Frisbee, life was good.

Geauga Lake Amusement Park was awesome. Great fun a few times a summer when I was younger, we'd sneak in at night when we were old enough to drive there as teenagers. Often tripping....bright lights!! :D

You could park at the Lawson's across the street, and go by this little separate swimming beach. There was a block wall about 5-6 foot high, walling off the amusement park from the swim club, right by the park's security office. If you went close to the lake, there were bushes on the park side. You'd hop there, and then make sure no one was looking out the office. I think I only paid maybe twice, because I was with a date, after we found out how easy it was to sneak in.

Speaking of rotary phones...

We had party at a local church conference room and in the kitchen there was one and the kids were perplexed with it and were surprised you could "hear something" when you put it to your ear without doing anything else.

Do kids still play whiffle ball? The good ole days of the summer whiffleball games and stuffing the bat with just enough newspaper was an art!

Speaking of rotary phones...

We had party at a local church conference room and in the kitchen there was one and the kids were perplexed with it and were surprised you could "hear something" when you put it to your ear without doing anything else.

Do kids still play whiffle ball? The good ole days of the summer whiffleball games and stuffing the bat with just enough newspaper was an art!

Twinsburg Parks has a two-person tournament every year. Strikes are called by hitting a metal target behind the batter.

Not only did we have those rotary phones but we had only 1 and it was usually located in the kitchen. The hardest thing to do as a teenage boy was to call up a girl for a date knowing that your family is listening and probably the girls dad picked up the call and her family was also listening.

What about the "party line"? One step removed from , "One ringy-dingy, two ringy-dingy....."

The house I grew up in had a party line at first, but we got rid of that in short order. I wish I could remember what the price difference between a party line and a private line was. Probably saved $2.25 a month or something. My folks leased the same wall phone from Western Reserve Telephone for probably 30 years before one of us kids looked at the bill and said, "what the heck is this charge for ?" :laugh:

What about the "party line"? One step removed from , "One ringy-dingy, two ringy-dingy....."

The house I grew up in had a party line at first, but we got rid of that in short order. I wish I could remember what the price difference between a party line and a private line was. Probably saved $2.25 a month or something. My folks leased the same wall phone from Western Reserve Telephone for probably 30 years before one of us kids looked at the bill and said, "what the heck is this charge for ?" :laugh:

The good ole party line! Used to listen into the neighbors calls, but they generally were so boring it didn't last long!

How about calling past 9pm. I know growing up you would NEVER call someone after 9pm and even to this day I wont do so. When any of our phones do ring after nine I wonder what is wrong!

Weather-Kevin-Schweickert.jpg

cabe, that post and youtube of Plata Lake bring back some wicked memories. Half the in that video would never be approved today.

We used to hang out at Salisbury and Portage Quarries in NWOhio (both closed to the public now). We'd challenge each other to see who could do the coolest flips off the cliffs. Here is a picture of the "bobber" which sits on an anchored large metal ball bouey. Once you'd get it rocking good, you'd stand on the handrail and when it would rock back the other way you'd do some sort of flip off of the thing. They also had a teeter-totter on the same type of ball with handrails at each end and you would rock up and down and side to side to try to knock your opponent off...In 20 ft. of water...with no lifejackets...lol.

They had submerged siloes and boats and even a plane. We would free dive down and through these death traps in 30-40-50 feet of water.

Long distance calls.

There was a time when calling someone as close as only two communities away had a per minute cost.

Phones....How about a party line.

A private line is what every one has now.

A party line would be a phone in your house, maybe your next door neighbor,
and someone up to a a block or two away. When it rang; it rang in every house on that
line. And anyone could pick up a phone and 'listen in'.

Long distance calls were via an operator (Dial '0') / you could place the call station to
station
(billed less but as soon as someone answers on the other end); or
person to person where you would tell the operator who you wanted to speak to
(higher charges), the operator would call you back once the connection was made.

Then there was reverse the charges: once the connection was made,
the operator would say...(IE) "I have a collect call for Mrs. Wilson from a Mr.
Thomas at Fort Dix, New Jersey" at which point Mrs.Wilson would tell the operator
yes or no on accepting the charges. If yes, the people could converse, if no, the call
could be terminated or the caller would indicate that they would pay for the call..
This was often use by people to let others know that you had arrived safely at a
destination...

Mrs.Wilson can say NO and knows that Mr.Thomas had arrived at Fort Dix.

SF

The good ole party line! Used to listen into the neighbors calls, but they generally were so boring it didn't last long!

How about calling past 9pm. I know growing up you would NEVER call someone after 9pm and even to this day I wont do so. When any of our phones do ring after nine I wonder what is wrong!

Has my memory failed completely or wasn't there a time when phone calls were cheaper after a certain time of night?