GMC Preview - 2014

I don't know if I see Thatcher and Bailey scoring at the state level; I even think Mpoki will struggle to score at the state level. The 200 free relay will most likely score, but in the 14th-16th range, and I'm confident Hove will score in two events.

I'm still sticking to my prediction that kings and Lakota east will out score mason at the classic and state level. I expect to see Kolosieke and mathus both score in two events and both of them to be in the final heat for at least one event. Matt McDonald will score very high at the state level in two events, and I think his brother will score too. Lakota also has the potential to take a relay to state as well.

As for Anderson, Turpin, and Lebanon there isn't enough at the top. Turpin and Anderson will have strong district and conference appearances, and possibly compete with mason's depth; however, Lebanon will be lucky to have a state qualifier this year.

Everyone knows that districts will be dominated by the GCL. There are very few spots at the top that are available, and there are only one or two individuals from a handful of teams that are capable of filling them. With Mason having 5 or 6 quality swimmers they could do well at districts, but again I don't think they will be much of a factor at state.

Very reasonable analysis and you could be spot on! So many schools and individuals to keep an eye on this year... I can hardly wait!

I don't know if I see Thatcher and Bailey scoring at the state level; I even think Mpoki will struggle to score at the state level. The 200 free relay will most likely score, but in the 14th-16th range, and I'm confident Hove will score in two events.

I'm still sticking to my prediction that kings and Lakota east will out score mason at the classic and state level. I expect to see Kolosieke and mathus both score in two events and both of them to be in the final heat for at least one event. Matt McDonald will score very high at the state level in two events, and I think his brother will score too. Lakota also has the potential to take a relay to state as well.

As for Anderson, Turpin, and Lebanon there isn't enough at the top. Turpin and Anderson will have strong district and conference appearances, and possibly compete with mason's depth; however, Lebanon will be lucky to have a state qualifier this year.

Everyone knows that districts will be dominated by the GCL. There are very few spots at the top that are available, and there are only one or two individuals from a handful of teams that are capable of filling them. With Mason having 5 or 6 quality swimmers they could do well at districts, but again I don't think they will be much of a factor at state.

I think that Anderson will not have a good year this year. Their only decent swimmer is Carroll, with Wetherington coming off of surgery. Carroll seemed to shine in regular season meets last year, but didn't step up to the plate at Districts or State with his mid season meets, any reason why?

I think that Anderson will not have a good year this year. Their only decent swimmer is Carroll, with Wetherington coming off of surgery. Carroll seemed to shine in regular season meets last year, but didn't step up to the plate at Districts or State with his mid season meets, any reason why?

Carroll went 4:38.12 in the State Finals of the 500 free, good for 9th place (faster then several kids in the final heat), as a freshman. That was the fastest swim for a freshman in Ohio and the 62nd fastest time for a 15 yr old in the United States last year. How in the world is that not stepping up??

For a little perspective, Joey Long, multiple-time Ohio state HS champion and second place last year as a Senior, went 4:38.62 as a freshman. Bryan McNamara, 4-time state finalist went 4:45.84 as a freshman.

Please feel free to share with us what your standard for "stepping up" is so that we can consider your future comments within the proper context.

Carroll went a 4:38 in the 500 last year, for a freshman that is pretty spectacular. Kevin George did something similar to that his freshman year, and look what he able to accomplish his sophomore. I'm not saying that Carroll will be as fast George, but I thought he had a good season. You do have a valid point though. Anderson has Carroll, Turpin has Drew Hamilton, other than those two individuals those teams don't have much else. I can see not only mason, East, and Kings out scoring Turpin and Anderson at state, but Sycamore, Fairfield, and Middletown as well.

Carroll went 4:38.12 in the State Finals of the 500 free, good for 9th place (faster then several kids in the final heat), as a freshman. That was the fastest swim for a freshman in Ohio and the 62nd fastest time for a 15 yr old in the United States last year. How in the world is that not stepping up??

For a little perspective, Joey Long, multiple-time Ohio state HS champion and second place last year as a Senior, went 4:38.62 as a freshman. Bryan McNamara, 4-time state finalist went 4:45.84 as a freshman.

Please feel free to share with us what your standard for "stepping up" is so that we can consider your future comments within the proper context.

He didn't step up because he was keeping pace with George and Cam Young at mid-season meets then didn't keep up with them at state. Valid Point right there. I think Matt Slabe will over take Carroll as the fastest mid-distance to distance sophomore in the state this year.

He didn't step up because he was keeping pace with George and Cam Young at mid-season meets then didn't keep up with them at state. Valid Point right there. I think Matt Slabe will over take Carroll as the fastest mid-distance to distance sophomore in the state this year.

I do not have a dog in this fight, but I just wanted to say that I really think all should really refrain from commenting that a 14 year old did not "step up". He swam really well at the district and state meets according to his times. Did he have a taper as good as he could have-who knows. He was only a freshman, and he swam the seventh fastest time in the 500 at the state finals. That classifies as stepping up on any planet.

I can believe that. Slabe definitely has more to work with than Carroll from a training aspect. He has the opportunity to train with House, George, Westrick, and Worobetz at Countryside, then has Mosko and House to work with at X. If he's a hard worker than there is no doubt he could be the fastest mid-distance to distance underclassman in the state; you could even make an argument that he is now.

As for Carroll not stepping up, I'm not sure that's the case, and it seems a bit silly that you say that. He had a great state meet last year, in fact it was impressive. In your defense, trust me I've experienced this personally, Anderson does hype Carroll up quite obnoxiously, arrogantly, and unfortunately, quite ignorantly. I can see why a X swimmer would be annoyed, but to say he doesn't have the potential to be an elite swimmer, or didn't "step up" is a bit childish.

Now that everyone has a couple of meets under their belts I think the GMC is coming into focus a bit. There have been some solid swims for early in the year at a number of meets and some very strong efforts in the last YMCA and USA Swimming meets for GMC swimmers as well.

Things I think we can all agree upon:

1. There are a number of individuals with the potential to score well at district and at state. Andrews (MID), Hancher (SYC), Hove (MAS), and McDonald (LE) have all shown they have the ability to go low in their best events and I suspect that we will see some amazing swims come out of this group at districts because they are all going to taper for it and as four juniors, they are going to be looking to make their mark on the big stage. They all know their teams can't compete with the top echelon teams in the SW District but these 4 are capable of competing on an individual level. And remember, we still haven't even seen Ross Westrick (FF) yet so you can add a 5th to that mix.

2. Mason's free relays are going to be very tough, especially the 200 FR. They have the ability to make the final heat at State if they swim well. They went 1:29.31 at the Canton meet, swimming together for the first time in over a year and in the midst of seriously demanding practices. Mwalupindi is still rounding into form and Hove has expanded his range from the distance events down to the sprints (he's had some impressive relay splits already). Peter He is very dependable in the relay format on the third leg and Preston Bailey is solid in his 50 free. It'd be nice to see him work on his 100 free as alot of time in Mason's 4x100 could be taken off if he drops down to his teammates.

3. The conference title is going to be a 3-way fight between Mason, Sycamore and Lakota East. I think it's becoming clear that Mason is going to be too dominant in the freestyle events (4 indiv and 2 relays) and too deep across the other events for the others to catch them. I think they are motivated to avenge a tough loss to Sycamore last year and are going to separate themselves from the pack at the conference meet. The battle for second will be decided between Sycamore's depth and Lakota East's firepower at the top.

Looking forward to the SW Classic as this format will give us a glimpse into what to expect at the District/State level.

Now that everyone has a couple of meets under their belts I think the GMC is coming into focus a bit. There have been some solid swims for early in the year at a number of meets and some very strong efforts in the last YMCA and USA Swimming meets for GMC swimmers as well.

Things I think we can all agree upon:

1. There are a number of individuals with the potential to score well at district and at state. Andrews (MID), Hancher (SYC), Hove (MAS), and McDonald (LE) have all shown they have the ability to go low in their best events and I suspect that we will see some amazing swims come out of this group at districts because they are all going to taper for it and as four juniors, they are going to be looking to make their mark on the big stage. They all know their teams can't compete with the top echelon teams in the SW District but these 4 are capable of competing on an individual level. And remember, we still haven't even seen Ross Westrick (FF) yet so you can add a 5th to that mix.

2. Mason's free relays are going to be very tough, especially the 200 FR. They have the ability to make the final heat at State if they swim well. They went 1:29.31 at the Canton meet, swimming together for the first time in over a year and in the midst of seriously demanding practices. Mwalupindi is still rounding into form and Hove has expanded his range from the distance events down to the sprints (he's had some impressive relay splits already). Peter He is very dependable in the relay format on the third leg and Preston Bailey is solid in his 50 free. It'd be nice to see him work on his 100 free as alot of time in Mason's 4x100 could be taken off if he drops down to his teammates.

3. The conference title is going to be a 3-way fight between Mason, Sycamore and Lakota East. I think it's becoming clear that Mason is going to be too dominant in the freestyle events (4 indiv and 2 relays) and too deep across the other events for the others to catch them. I think they are motivated to avenge a tough loss to Sycamore last year and are going to separate themselves from the pack at the conference meet. The battle for second will be decided between Sycamore's depth and Lakota East's firepower at the top.

Looking forward to the SW Classic as this format will give us a glimpse into what to expect at the District/State level.

Do you think any GMC swimmers will try to make it out of our districts untapered and taper for the state meet?

Do you think any GMC swimmers will try to make it out of our districts untapered and taper for the state meet?

Boy, I don't know. I think that any of them would be taking a huge risk in trying to do that. I mean what was it, a couple of years ago Joey Long did that and nearly missed state in the 500 free... which I think he won that year!

As competitive as the SW district is, I think everyone in the GMC is probably going to have to taper at districts to ensure they get to state.

Even outside of the GMC, who is really likely to try this? Grant House is the only one that comes to mind. I think most of the Moeller and X kids this year are pretty unlikely to take that risk as well but you'd know more about that than I.

House, Pohlman, George, Hodge are all safe bets in my book. Maybe Slabe, Maybe Cope, Nymberg could if he swam three relays and the 100 fly. From the GMC, McDonald, Westrick, and Hancher could but they would be take quite the risk. Classic will be a good indication on whether or not an individual is capable.

House, Pohlman, George, Hodge are all safe bets in my book. Maybe Slabe, Maybe Cope, Nymberg could if he swam three relays and the 100 fly. From the GMC, McDonald, Westrick, and Hancher could but they would be take quite the risk. Classic will be a good indication on whether or not an individual is capable.

You could be right but boy, I'm not sure. I can't disagree with your first 4 and I do think Cope could as well. If McDonald goes IM and back then yes, but there's no guarantee if he goes 500 free. Hancher in the 100 fly but not in any of the free events. In fact, I don't think anyone (besides House and George) swimming freestyle events should even consider it... the freestyle events are going to be serious dogfights and it's likely going to take a very fast time to get out of SW Districts this year IMO. I know you're high on Slabe and Westrick but I think it'd be crazy not to taper them... way too many kids in the 200 and 500 free that could potentially keep them out if they aren't rested.

Looking forward to the Classic in a couple of weeks!

You could be right but boy, I'm not sure. I can't disagree with your first 4 and I do think Cope could as well. If McDonald goes IM and back then yes, but there's no guarantee if he goes 500 free. Hancher in the 100 fly but not in any of the free events. In fact, I don't think anyone (besides House and George) swimming freestyle events should even consider it... the freestyle events are going to be serious dogfights and it's likely going to take a very fast time to get out of SW Districts this year IMO. I know you're high on Slabe and Westrick but I think it'd be crazy not to taper them... way too many kids in the 200 and 500 free that could potentially keep them out if they aren't rested.

Looking forward to the Classic in a couple of weeks!

Long, Hendricks, Belanger, and fry where the only ones to do it last year in the free events and they went 1-4 in the 200 free.

Arguably the top 5 mid distance freestylers are in the southwest district this year. I don't think the time to make state will be as fast this year in those events. If a swimmer is able to go 1:43 in the 200 and 4:42 in the 500 without a suit at classic than you're fine for tapering for state. It will be interesting to see the decisions coaches and swimmers make.

In regards to the tapering for districts conversation, I know that Henrik Pohlman will not be rested for districts and rested a week for state and I also know that Cooper Hodge will be tapering for the senior meet (after state) so he will rest for state only, George is tapering specifically for state and so is Nymberg.

Looks like this morphed from just GMC so I'll put my Central 2 cents in. I would not anticipate more than 7-9 swimmers across the state that will taper for state. SW has it the toughest. For the other 3 districts, in many events, the favorites can more easily afford to take a chance and taper for state since there is not as much competition for the 2 AQ spots. ZFish, for you comment about JLong, he was the 2nd AQ and did not have to go faster than he did. Swimmers in the SW cant take that risk. In the Central I see only Trace and Miller tapering for state for sure. There are a couple of others that might take the risk due to the AQs such as Cook and Weaver.

Psych Sheets are out on Swimmeet.com

Things will certainly move around a bit as people swim up past, or down from, their seed times from this season however there is no doubt that the battle is for second place between Sycamore and Lakota East. Based purely on psych times the team scoring is:

1. Mason (484)
2. Sycamore (349)
3. Lakota East (340)
4. Oak Hills (265)
5. Lakota West (202)
6. Fairfield (190)
7. Middletown (116)
8. Colerain (111)
9. Princeton (82)
10. Hamilton (36)

It looks like the most competitive races this year will be in the freestyle events including:

50 Free (Mwalupindi, Thomas, He, Bailey, Barren)
100 Free (Andrew, Hancher, Westrick, Mwalupindi)
200 Free (Hove, Westrick, J. McDonald)
500 Free (J. McDonald, Hove)

The rest of the races have remarkably clear favorites for the title including: Hancher (100 fly), M. McDonald (100 Back, 200 IM), 100 Breast (Andrew), Medley Relay (Lakota East) and both Free Relays (Mason).

Assuming the next ice age doesn't hit before the weekend see you all in Mason on Saturday!

Last edited:
Psych Sheets are out on Swimmeet.com

Things will certainly move around a bit as people swim up past, or down from, their seed times from this season however there is no doubt that the battle is for second place between Sycamore and Lakota East. Based purely on psych times the team scoring is:

1. Mason (484)
2. Sycamore (349)
3. Lakota East (340)
4. Oak Hills (265)
5. Lakota West (202)
6. Fairfield (190)
7. Middletown (116)
8. Colerain (111)
9. Princeton (82)
10. Hamilton (36)

It looks like the most competitive races this year will be in the freestyle events including:

50 Free (Mwalupindi, Thomas, He, Bailey, Barren)
100 Free (Andrew, Hancher, Westrick, Mwalupindi)
200 Free (Hove, Westrick, J. McDonald)
500 Free (J. McDonald, Hove)

The rest of the races have remarkably clear favorites for the title including: Hancher (100 fly), M. McDonald (100 Back, 200 IM), 100 Breast (Andrew), Medley Relay (Lakota East) and both Free Relays (Mason).

Assuming the next ice age doesn't hit before the weekend see you all in Mason on Saturday!

Freestyle events are wide open this year and should be very competitive. I think the Hove vs. Westrick 200 free race will be the most exciting race to watch. Although Westrick has a faster best time by over two seconds, Hove has already beaten Kevin George this year at classic prelims so it wouldn't be anything out of the ordinary seeing him beat Westrick. As for second place, I think Lakota East will edge out Sycamore in the final relay taking second.

As for second place, I think Lakota East will edge out Sycamore in the final relay taking second.

Congratulations to the Mason boys on their GMC championship. This will likely start a long streak, since I think the foundation for championships is built in grass-roots programs. The Manta Rays will continue to produce outstanding swimmers.

As for second place, I didn't think that East had much of a chance, just based on numbers. In this format, if you don't go 16 deep, you don't score the secondary points. Indeed, it wasn't close. Sycamore was second by a very comfortable margin - despite East's relays performing so well.

In the Sectional-District format, East will outscore Sycamore because East has more elite swimmers.

Congrats again to the Comets on their well-deserved championship.