GMC Meet

BigSwimFan

Physch Sheet went up on swimmeet.com today. Looking at the entries looks like Sycamore is going to win the meet with East and Mason battling for 2nd. Fairfield will probably get 4th as they just don't have the depth. They have a couple good swimmers that could win events and maybe a relay, but not enough to compete with the top 3.

Going to be funny though at Districts when Sycamore and Fairfield are probably going to be top on the GMC there.

Event Winner Projections
200 MR - Fairfield
200 Free - Gutierrez (should be fun to see him and McNamara swim)
200 IM - Chen
50 Free - Patton
100 Fly - Adams
100 Free - Winkler
500 Free - McNamara (another fun race with him and Gutierrez)
200 FR - Sycamore
100 Back - Carter
100 Breast - Reynaert
400 FR - Sycamore

Some decent picks but it looks like you just went by fastest seed (minus a couple). It is amazing to me the lack of depth in the GMC this year. The top is completely dominated by East, Sycamore and Mason. Fairfield has a few top kids but 0 depth, which will be interesting to see how they align their relays. I don't expect to see too many fast times. The majority of the upper echelon kids should be still experiencing a lot of yardage. A couple changes I would make is.

200 IM Adams:
100 Free Winkler:
50 Free Raczka:
500 Free Guitteriez

Some fun races at the meet. Sycamore won the meet as expected (another comment on this later on) and East got 2nd. Sycamore has some impressive Free Relays and their Medley is pretty good without their best 4 swimmers. Fairfield's Medley relay looked really good and can do well at State as it looks like their breaststroker is getting faster every meet.

Gutierrez from Sycamore was fun to watch. He handled McNamara in the 200 pretty easily (1:42), but the 500 was very close with them swimming pretty fast (4:41 and 4:42) with them really turning it on towards the end. Gutierrez was nammed swimmer of the meet.

As I was sitting in the stands waiting for the crowd to leave I saw something that took me by surprise. The Sycamore boys had pre-made T-Shirts naming themselves as GMC Champs 2011. I just thought that showed a lack of class from the team. Anybody think otherwise?

As I was sitting in the stands waiting for the crowd to leave I saw something that took me by surprise. The Sycamore boys had pre-made T-Shirts naming themselves as GMC Champs 2011. I just thought that showed a lack of class from the team. Anybody think otherwise?

Ive seen this before from other teams in water polo...and one year a team made a shirt for state qualifiers prior to making it to states. They did not makes states. It is a classless thing to do, and I'm not a fan of it. When teams do that, I smile when they fall short. That may seem classless on my end, but I do not think it is needed.

Earn it, then print it. Thats just how I feel.

It was not classeless at all.. sycamore got it done and im sure other schools that started a winning streak would have done similiar actions!

I agree with mukisa and would have no problem if they printed shirts after the meet and wore them later. Just a very cocky attitude to have them printed before the meet. My feelings were not hurt redlegs; just though it was classless.

I am also going to guess that redlegs and swim2fly are sycamore swimmers or parents based on this is redlegs first post and swim2fly's previous posts.

Also like mukisa said I will not be that upset if something should happen to one of their relays these next few weeks.

Did you watch the Super Bowl or any other championship event on the national scene in the last 10 or more years? The instant the game ends or in some cases before it ends but once it is decided the hats and shirts come out. No one seems to mind that...Now if the shirts came out before the meet was over, I agree that would be lacking in class from the team.

That is professional sports and they have shirts made up for both teams. We are talking about High School sports! Aren't the coaches supposed to be teaching these kids about sportsmanship?!

Get over it's not a big deal. Everyone knew that they were going to win and it hasn't been done before if your getting annoyed over that then just talk to the people who run gmc and get them to make it illegal like they made vuvezela's illegal.

Last edited:
Did you watch the Super Bowl or any other championship event on the national scene in the last 10 or more years? The instant the game ends or in some cases before it ends but once it is decided the hats and shirts come out. No one seems to mind that...Now if the shirts came out before the meet was over, I agree that would be lacking in class from the team.

They also then donate the shirts that were printed for the losing team to 3rd world countries in an effort to do global outreach.

That's a little different than a high school team doing it - not quite apples to apples.

Get over it's not a big deal. Everyone knew we were going to win and it hasn't been done before if your getting annoyed over that then just talk to the people who run gmc and get them to make it illegal like they made vuvezela's illegal.

While on paper Sycamore was definitely the favorite, it is incorrect to say that it has not been done before.

I do not think it should be against the rules, but it is something that deserves better judgement.

There was definitely a team from Sycamore that made state shirts for water polo in 2006, and that team did not qualify for states. It used to be a regular occurance for their team. Do they still do? I don't know about swimming, but it is not something they have done in polo since then.

Can they do it? Sure, and all the power to the kids for walking the walk.

Will a team I coach ever pull a stunt like that? Lord help them if they do.

What is the big deal? They have the choice to do it. If they win, then they have shirts (that are truthful) and that they probably would have bought after their win anyways. If they lose, its their fault for wasting money on faulty shirts and they will feel very dumb for doing that. By the way, they are high school students, so when are they not doing things to show off?