GMC Football Week 4 Pick'em

Mason runs out the clock. Each team got real sloppy at spots. Mason had a couple big plays that ended up the difference.

Mason 21
Sycamore 13.

Danial's probably should've spent less time on the Media Tour last week and been studying how to stop the option. And running go routes the entire game on offense doesn't win a lot of games. Not one sustained drive all night for the Vikes

East 28 Princeton 19. I can’t say I am shocked by that one. Thought East had a shot if they took care of the ball based on both teams games against Sycamore. Almost picked them and wish I had now. Great win for them.

Let down was expected but I’m shock can’t fully say you turn the corner when you don’t perform. Nice Game plan by the Hawks control the ball and clock . My Vikes will continue to get better they need more the the long ball

Didn't get to see the game. But Boyd only got 8 carries (was he hurt). LE shut down Harris and Jackson to 2 catches smh. What type of game plan does Mike Daniels have, I just don't get it.

Didn't get to see the game. But Boyd only got 8 carries (was he hurt). LE shut down Harris and Jackson to 2 catches smh. What type of game plan does Mike Daniels have, I just don't get it.
He doesn't. Never has. That's what coletrain06 was talking about after last week's game when he said that he highly doubted that Princeton could duplicate their performance if they played the Cards a second time. Not only could they NOT duplicate it against the Cards, they couldn't duplicate it the following to get a win. His game plan has always been to put the ball in the hands of your best athletes/football players and play backyard football. Chuck the ball down field and hope for the best. Last week they got lucky and it worked. This week....not so much.

I would relish the opportunity for Colerain to play Princeton again. The outcome would be different, I believe.

-CardinalsFan

He doesn't. Never has. That's what coletrain06 was talking about after last week's game when he said that he highly doubted that Princeton could duplicate their performance if they played the Cards a second time. Not only could they NOT duplicate it against the Cards, they couldn't duplicate it the following to get a win. His game plan has always been to put the ball in the hands of your best athletes/football players and play backyard football. Chuck the ball down field and hope for the best. Last week they got lucky and it worked. This week....not so much.

I would relish the opportunity for Colerain to play Princeton again. The outcome would be different, I believe.

-CardinalsFan
maybe it will happen and Princeton will shock them again

Last edited by a moderator:
Complete parity? Wouldn't West be considered head and shoulders above everyone?
No, not head and shoulders above, I was at the game. Take two plays, costly interceptions, away in that game that a young freshman FF QB makes and FF, a 1-3 below average team, beats LW. If they are head and shoulders above they are not losing 7 to 0 against FF with 8 minutes left in the 4th Quarter. Plus LW got some pass interference calls, at best questionable, that we’re helpful in prolonging drives.

Here is my real point; I would love to see a team come out of the GMC to make a run in the playoffs. After tonight with Princeton losing to East and LW being given the game at the end against a below average GMC team in FF. Complete parity is more accurate then head and shoulders above. The last two decades it was Colerain but this year is a big question mark. If I am wrong and LW is that team this year they will need to play much better than they did tonight at FF.

Princeton couldn't get the push up the middle and Boyd isn't agile enough to bounce it outside or make the quick cut in the backfield.

Complete parity? Wouldn't West be considered head and shoulders above everyone?

West was not head & shoulders above the 1 - 3 Indians last night. FF was winning the game 7 - 0 with 8 minutes left and was beating West on both sides of the ball. Credit to West for taking advantage of some late game opportunities and getting the win. That's what good teams do.

West will likely win the GMC but they in no way reminded me of the Colerain teams of the last 20 years that were for the most part head & shoulders above the rest of the league.

And my claim to parity is also based on East beating Princeton and Oak Hills not rolling over for anybody. Only Middletown is completely outmatched in their games and that is in part due to their districts issues in handling the covid outbreak.

Yes. They’re also the best team in the region.

I have to plead guilty of being ignorant of High School football in the Region this year. Outside of FF which I watch on Chatterbox I've been fairly disinterested. But based on what I saw last night if West is the best team in the Region then SWO big school football is down this year.

Don't get me wrong West is a solid team and is probably the best team in the GMC. But IMO FF's front 7 dominated West's O-line and the FF offense had several nice drives running the ball right down LW's throat. The key to last nights game was that LW was able to stop FF on 4th & short at Wests own 25 & 30 yard lines in the 3rd quarter. This kept it a one score game and left the door open for West's big 4th quarter.

Yes. They’re also the best team in the region.
This question is a tangent from your point but when referring to the region is there a way to find out what teams are in the region and what a playoff bracket would hypothetically look like? My understanding is that every team in the region makes the playoffs regardless of the teams record. How many teams are in the region? Or is it a TBD situation? Just curious.

This question is a tangent from your point but when referring to the region is there a way to find out what teams are in the region and what a playoff bracket would hypothetically look like? My understanding is that every team in the region makes the playoffs regardless of the teams record. How many teams are in the region? Or is it a TBD situation? Just curious.
I’m going by traditional Region 4, which basically means I think they’re better than X and Elder.

OHSAA has said they will determine the regions once they know how many teams are opting into the playoffs. In SWO, we know that Western Hills and Walnut Hills will not be playing. That puts the traditional Region 4 at 16 teams, which would make a lot of sense. A lot depends on the other areas of the state too.

For fun, right now, these would be the possible playoff matchups:

#1 Lakota West vs #16 Oak Hills
#8 Hamilton vs #9 Sycamore
#4 Princeton vs #13 Milford
#5 Mason vs #12 Lebanon
#3 Elder vs #14 West Clermont
#6 Colerain vs #11 Fairfield
#7 Moeller vs #10 Lakota East
#2 St Xavier vs #15 Middletown

This was the offense. Boyd got I think 5 carries the first two drives. Penalties pushed them back. Everyone knows when Princeton gets a penalty the next play is a deep throw to try and get it back. That usually happens on 2nd down. Now it's 3rd and long so have to try the same thing. When the Vikes get down on the scoreboard they immediately go to some type of trick play or deep pass.

Love when Danial's keeps the smaller RB in to be a lead blocker or pass protect. Makes no sense.

This was the offense. Boyd got I think 5 carries the first two drives. Penalties pushed them back. Everyone knows when Princeton gets a penalty the next play is a deep throw to try and get it back. That usually happens on 2nd down. Now it's 3rd and long so have to try the same thing. When the Vikes get down on the scoreboard they immediately go to some type of trick play or deep pass.

Love when Danial's keeps the smaller RB in to be a lead blocker or pass protect. Makes no sense.
Princeton should run a lot of veer read option. Boyd going up the middle with Lynn getting to the outside is pretty tough to stop. That’s where they beat Sycamore.

Last edited:
For fun, right now, these would be the possible playoff matchups:

#1 Lakota West vs #16 Oak Hills
#8 Hamilton vs #9 Sycamore
#4 Princeton vs #13 Milford
#5 Mason vs #12 Lebanon
#3 Elder vs #14 West Clermont
#6 Colerain vs #11 Fairfield
#7 Moeller vs #10 Lakota East
#2 St Xavier vs #15 Middletown
Thank you. It seems that it only adds about one week to the playoffs. That is not bad at all especially since it is only a six game season.

Princeton should run a lot of veer read option. Boyd going up the middle with Lynn getting to the outside is pretty tough to stop. That’s where they beat Sycamore.

It's worked all year. I'm not sure why it wasn't the game plan this week.

Not totally surprised East beat Princeton, Princeton is still a couple positions away from being a Championship Team. Those positions are on the coaching staff. Give credit to East, I have criticized their offense over the years, but they aired it out with 9 attempts last night. They beat a team with a winning record which is rare occurrence. East has put themselves in their usual position to be right in the middle of the battle for spots 3-7 in the GMC. I'm guessing those Princeton coaches have been evaluating technique and scheme all night and morning.

OHSAA has said they will determine the regions once they know how many teams are opting into the playoffs. In SWO, we know that Western Hills and Walnut Hills will not be playing. That puts the traditional Region 4 at 16 teams, which would make a lot of sense. A lot depends on the other areas of the state too.
Actually Walnut Hills is playing. It was just announced a few hours ago that Thomas Worthington and Westland from the Columbus area have opted out of the playoffs setting Division 1 at 64 teams which means no byes. To balance out Region 4 at 16 teams Middletown,which is the northernmost school in Region 4 was sent to Region 2.