• Middletown

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Hamilton

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Mason

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A friend of mine does a weekly D1 Cincinnati Southwest Ohio sectional power rating---takes into account record and strength of schedule to get a numbered power rating which indicates not how many points a team would score, but a point differential between the 2 teams on a neutral court, as would happen in the sectional and district tournament. Here is this week for the 33 teams after Tuesday's games:

1 Elder 73.986
2 Fairfield 73.846
3 Sycamore 69.184
4 Princeton 68.479
5 Mason 65.745
6 Kings 64.034
7 Turpin 62.686
8 Moeller 62.323
9 Anderson 62.029
10 St. Xavier 61.091
11 Withrow 58.807
12 Lakota East 58.190
13 La Salle 56.679
14 Middletown 56.528
15 Western Hills 54.606
16 Oak Hills 54.548
17 Hamilton 54.485
18 Western Brown 51.763
19 Lakota West 51.217
20 Winton Woods 50.258
21 Milford 46.937
22 Ross 46.571
23 Loveland 45.261
24 Goshen 44.528
25 Walnut Hills 44.205
26 Little Miami 44.134
27 Talawanda 43.047
28 Aiken 39.953
29 Northwest 39.227
30 Harrison 38.963
31 Colerain 34.518
32 Edgewood 30.873
33 West Clermont 28.737

1/20 predictions

Sycamore 60 Colerain 41 Cardinals compete but Aviators make very few mistakes in this one.
West 46 East 64 I think the Hawks come out against Birds at home and take it to them. Dudukovich doesn't seem to be 100% yet.
Fairfield 64 Mason 62 Big game here and think it could go either way at Mason. Hard to go against the Indians though. Excited for this one.
Princeton 61 Middletown 65 Should be a good game here as well. Last time the Vikes stormed back. Don't really have a reason for it, but I think the Middies win. This game is hard for me to predict though.
Oak Hills 44 Hamilton 50 Another game I find hard to predict. It is at Oak Hills and they're coming off of an ugly loss. Hamilton has had some highs and lows this year. I think both teams respond to make it a good game.

A friend of mine does a weekly D1 Cincinnati Southwest Ohio sectional power rating---takes into account record and strength of schedule to get a numbered power rating which indicates not how many points a team would score, but a point differential between the 2 teams on a neutral court, as would happen in the sectional and district tournament. Here is this week for the 33 teams after Tuesday's games:

1 Elder 73.986
2 Fairfield 73.846
3 Sycamore 69.184
4 Princeton 68.479
5 Mason 65.745
6 Kings 64.034
7 Turpin 62.686
8 Moeller 62.323
9 Anderson 62.029
10 St. Xavier 61.091
11 Withrow 58.807
12 Lakota East 58.190
13 La Salle 56.679
14 Middletown 56.528
15 Western Hills 54.606
16 Oak Hills 54.548
17 Hamilton 54.485
18 Western Brown 51.763
19 Lakota West 51.217
20 Winton Woods 50.258
21 Milford 46.937
22 Ross 46.571
23 Loveland 45.261
24 Goshen 44.528
25 Walnut Hills 44.205
26 Little Miami 44.134
27 Talawanda 43.047
28 Aiken 39.953
29 Northwest 39.227
30 Harrison 38.963
31 Colerain 34.518
32 Edgewood 30.873
33 West Clermont 28.737
I find it odd that Lebanon goes to Dayton but Middletown, Talawanda, and Edgewood go to Cincinnati.

I find it odd that Lebanon goes to Dayton but Middletown, Talawanda, and Edgewood go to Cincinnati.
Yeah especially since Lebanon joined the ECC and play a Cincinnati-based schedule--I think when Edgewood switches leagues next year they will be sent to Dayton---Middletown is the closest to Dayton but have always been a part of Cincy and Oxford sectionals when Miami hosted games.

Edgewood did go to Dayton for a couple of years about 8 or 9 years ago. Their girls team did for longer then that which was a joke going to Troy to play games win you can play in the same county in the district that borders you in Lakota East. They finally moved to Cincinnati in 19-20 playing at Sycamore the first year. Harrison in 21 and last year at East. I know some parents of the girls that were glad to not have to drive that far which was dumb. Lebanon is closer to Dayton then Trenton so not sure that’s changing. SWBL that Edgewood is going to will have Ross going with them and Monroe in there division and I think Talawanda will eventually end up with them so it’s a mixed bag with some teams closer to Dayton and others to Cincinnati.

West manages to steal a 1 point win in the last seconds, in a game that saw almost zero scoring for the entire 2nd half. East is a slightly above average team, but only because of their defensive intensity. They lack any true consistent scorers outside of Perry, and yes I'm including Powell and Mitchell in that. The defense will keep them in most any game, but it will be tough going against anyone.

Princeton was playing really good basketball to losing 2 games they could of won. Not a huge deal because LE and Middletown are competitive teams. I don't really understand why they don't play their interior big players at all. I think they will get it together soon

West 37
East 36 final. Great win for West who hasn’t been playing well lately. Also gets redemption for loss at home. East scored 1 point and in the 4th qtr and did poor job taking care of the basketball 🏀 turning it over several times. Despite that were still up 36-34. Dudukovich was then fouled with 23.7 left. Made the front end of 1and 1 missed the 2nd. But East couldn’t get the handle on the rebound and in the scramble and Dudukovich ended up grabbing it and laid it in for what would be the winning points. East raced it up court but took a poor contested off balance attempt at a layup which wasn’t even close. West got rebound was fouled but Lavender missed the front end of 1 and 1 with 6.4 seconds left. East got rebound but instead of calling timeout immediately took a few dribbles and was immediately converged on by 3 defenders near the West bench.By the time they called timeout their was only 1.8 seconds left. After back to back timeouts one being after a near 5 second call East finally got ball in from half court but the 3 from the left wing was partially blocked ending the game. Very poor execution down the stretch by East. Game was there for them to win and they led it most of way but horrible 4th period doomed them. Had plenty of chances to put West away but didn’t do it. West was by no means great but did just enough to escape with a win.

West manages to steal a 1 point win in the last seconds, in a game that saw almost zero scoring for the entire 2nd half. East is a slightly above average team, but only because of their defensive intensity. They lack any true consistent scorers outside of Perry, and yes I'm including Powell and Mitchell in that. The defense will keep them in most any game, but it will be tough going against anyone.
I agree. I thought East had plenty of chances to put game away but didn’t. They made mistake after mistake. Hard team to figure. Win on road against Princeton but lose at home to West who’s really been struggling. Very inconsistent. West did almost win against Fairfield early in year losing on 3 at buzzer. Hard to predict these games sometimes. Never know what team is going to show up.

West 37
East 36 final. Great win for West who hasn’t been playing well lately. Also gets redemption for loss at home. East scored 1 point and in the 4th qtr and did poor job taking care of the basketball 🏀 turning it over several times. Despite that were still up 36-34. Dudukovich was then fouled with 23.7 left. Made the front end of 1and 1 missed the 2nd. But East couldn’t get the handle on the rebound and in the scramble and Dudukovich ended up grabbing it and laid it in for what would be the winning points. East raced it up court but took a poor contested off balance attempt at a layup which wasn’t even close. West got rebound was fouled but Lavender missed the front end of 1 and 1 with 6.4 seconds left. East got rebound but instead of calling timeout immediately took a few dribbles and was immediately converged on by 3 defenders near the West bench.By the time they called timeout their was only 1.8 seconds left. After back to back timeouts one being after a near 5 second call East finally got ball in from half court but the 3 from the left wing was partially blocked ending the game. Very poor execution down the stretch by East. Game was there for them to win and they led it most of way but horrible 4th period doomed them. Had plenty of chances to put West away but didn’t do it. West was by no means great but did just enough to escape with a win.
Great play by play .. lol

I agree. I thought East had plenty of chances to put game away but didn’t. They made mistake after mistake. Hard team to figure. Win on road against Princeton but lose at home to West who’s really been struggling. Very inconsistent. West did almost win against Fairfield early in year losing on 3 at buzzer. Hard to predict these games sometimes. Never know what team is going to show up.
I just see an inexperienced team. Since Adkins took over he's always had senior leadership to bring the younger guys along. Last year with 4 senior starters of which had a ton of varsity experience and 2 rotating seniors, this group wasn't going to get heavy minutes. That East team had 6 seniors and a junior playing a ton. The seniors had been under his tutelage for about 10 years so he was priming them for a deep tourney run that got cut short unexpectedly.

This current group just hasn't played a bunch and losing Krunague doesn't help as he was the lone guy from the previous 2 years who played a bunch of varsity minutes. Perry is a sophomore trying to lead this group which has never been the case under Adkins at East. Adkins has always had player led teams with senior leadership. The seniors they have aren't guys with much Varsity playing time Mitchell and Meadows were transfers last year. However, with how down HS basketball is this year locally I could see this team righting the ship and surprising some people come tourney time. A team like this could get a couple wins no one would expect them to get. They have the talent to do it for sure.

Sycamore went 2-0 against the GCL beating St. X on Tuesday and then throttling LaSalle on Saturday. Are they starting to adjust with life without the big man?

I have to disagree when it comes to Mitchell. He’s probably the best all around player that doesn’t get talked about. Here’s a kid that’s shooting 48% from field, 55% from the 3 point line, and 93% from the FT. He’s also leading the team in rebounding. He can easily put up 15-17 points a game. But, if Clint isn’t putting him in position to score, that’s not on this young man. They wouldn’t have went into to OT against Princeton without his 3 pointer with 4 seconds left. Even in the West game, he was 3 for 3 from the 3 point line. If you have a kid shooting like this, you have to find ways to get the ball in this hand. What I have seen is him screening for players like Perry and others on the team to get theirs. So, he’s sacrificing his points for others. That’s a Clint problem that he needs to clear up. While Perry is a good player, Mitchell brings a dynamic that all of these GMC teams would love to have on their team - Length, Shooting ability, defense, and ball handling. I’m at every game as my son plays JV and Varsity for East. Trust me, we want him to shoot more, but Clint has to provide that avenue for him.

I have to disagree when it comes to Mitchell. He’s probably the best all around player that doesn’t get talked about. Here’s a kid that’s shooting 48% from field, 55% from the 3 point line, and 93% from the FT. He’s also leading the team in rebounding. He can easily put up 15-17 points a game. But, if Clint isn’t putting him in position to score, that’s not on this young man. They wouldn’t have went into to OT against Princeton without his 3 pointer with 4 seconds left. Even in the West game, he was 3 for 3 from the 3 point line. If you have a kid shooting like this, you have to find ways to get the ball in this hand. What I have seen is him screening for players like Perry and others on the team to get theirs. So, he’s sacrificing his points for others. That’s a Clint problem that he needs to clear up. While Perry is a good player, Mitchell brings a dynamic that all of these GMC teams would love to have on their team - Length, Shooting ability, defense, and ball handling. I’m at every game as my son plays JV and Varsity for East. Trust me, we want him to shoot more, but Clint has to provide that avenue for him.
From a Dec. 19 post in response to Kronague being dismissed.... They should feature Mitchell

1674416279507.png

He has to be more assertive - I believe Adkins would like him to score more .. they scored 1 pt in the 4th quarter against West. That's horrible against any team. At this point the young man has to .. Perry isn't shy at it whatsoever.

He has to be more assertive - I believe Adkins would like him to score more .. they scored 1 pt in the 4th quarter against West. That's horrible against any team. At this point the young man has to .. Perry isn't shy at it whatsoever.
I agree with what both of you are saying. Mitchell is one of those guys from an ability stand point, but he has to "want" to be the guy, where Perry has no problem getting after it. Mitchell is a great #2 but I think East is lacking "others" being threats to score. Those 2 can both go for big numbers, but I'm not sure there's another guy on that roster who could go get 15+, probably not even 10 against most quality opponents. What could've been scary was if Mitchell was still at FF.

That would have been something if he stay at FF when you add him with Crim, Coney, and Rogers. I know his dad stopped coaching girls down there which brought him to East since they already lived in the community. But, he does need to seize the moment when the team needs him at the most which is every minute on that scoreboard.

East's motion offense is built around everyone touching the ball and each player taking their opportunities to score when it presents itself AND they are in a position for their shot. But that's the thing, Mitchell isn't always taking his shot when it's there, whether it be a 3, midrange, or driving to the basket. He's got to want it more for him to start consistently scoring like he's capable of doing. Powell is the same.

Now I will say that I have seen a lot more set plays from East than I've seen in the past, with Perry being the facilitator, but this may be due to Adkins seeing he doesn't have enough aggressive players for the motion to be effective at scoring. If Mitchell and Powell start becoming more of a threat with the ball, that will force the defense to be tighter with them, leaving Jackson and Bachman with easier times. I believe that is the key to their motion offense being as effective as it has been in past years. Until that happens you're going to continue to see the stagnant offense we've seen all season.

East's motion offense is built around everyone touching the ball and each player taking their opportunities to score when it presents itself AND they are in a position for their shot. But that's the thing, Mitchell isn't always taking his shot when it's there, whether it be a 3, midrange, or driving to the basket. He's got to want it more for him to start consistently scoring like he's capable of doing. Powell is the same.

Now I will say that I have seen a lot more set plays from East than I've seen in the past, with Perry being the facilitator, but this may be due to Adkins seeing he doesn't have enough aggressive players for the motion to be effective at scoring. If Mitchell and Powell start becoming more of a threat with the ball, that will force the defense to be tighter with them, leaving Jackson and Bachman with easier times. I believe that is the key to their motion offense being as effective as it has been in past years. Until that happens you're going to continue to see the stagnant offense we've seen all season.
Couldn't agree more - East motion requires guys who can score and yes I have seen a lot more sets then in the past. Huge sign that the offensive talent East has had over the years is down - goes back to scoring only 1 pt in the 4th quarter of last Friday's game against their rival and then scoring only 36 pts against Colerain. I expected Powell to have a bigger year offensively, although he has done an excellent job on the opponent's best offensive guy. Defensively they are going to defend no question about it. I believe we all are used to them putting out better offensive performances - they have lead traditionally in every offensive category it's odd to see their assists, FG %, 3pt %, etc. down so much. There's still time for this team to right the ship. They have a couple tough ones with FF and Mason coming up but I think they can get 2 out of the next 3 games starting with Middletown tomorrow and maybe stealing one at home against FF or picking off Mason. I could honestly see them winning 4 out of the next 6 conference games going into the tourney if they can figure it out here quickly.

Tuesday Night Predictions 1/24. Let's see how I do this week. Been some strange games this year more so than in years past I'd say.

Hamilton 58 Colerain 40 Big Blue has some players I don't think Colerain will be able to stop. Cards have been playing better ball though based off scores so they could surprise at home.
West 49 Fairfield 62 West could ride momentum from the win against East but I just don't see them beating FF. Last time it was close but I don't see it this time.
East 52 Middletown 59 Middies with a good win over Princeton last Friday. I think they come out with some momentum to play. East will hang around and battle throughout.
Sycamore 55 Oak Hills 48 I think Oak Hills fights and keeps this game close. Sycamore will make the plays they need to throughout game.
Princeton 69 Mason 66 This should be the best game of the night I think. Excited to see how this one plays out. I'll give Princeton the advantage with their speed and playing at home. Think it could go either way.

Scores projections based on RPI and tempo data..

Sycamore over Oak Hills 63-48
Fairfield over Lakota West 78-57
Princeton over Mason 79-76
Middletown over Lakota East 62-58
Hamilton over Colerain 61-41

Colerain for the win? I’m seeing 50-38 Final reported.

Also: Oak Hills over Sycamore 57-55 OT

Princeton over Mason 53-39

Fairfield over West 59-54

East over Middletown 56-49

Last edited:
1/27

Middletown 60 Hamilton 52 I think Middies go in and get it in this big rivalry game.
FF 61 East 57 I think East sticks around in this one but FF has too much.
Oak Hills 47 West 57 Dudukovich getting 30 at FF on Tuesday was good to see. I think he has another big game tomorrow night.
Colerain 48 Mason 68 Colerain comes in ready to fight but Mason will be too much
Princeton 69 Sycamore 60 Princeton with too much depth, but should be a fun one.

Tonight's lines and totals based on RPI and tempo data...

Middletown (-1) @ Hamilton (113)
Fairfield (-12.5) @ Lakota East (117)
Oak Hills (+0.5) @ Lakota West (103)
Colerain (+23.5) @ Mason (106)
Princeton (-7.5) @ Sycamore (120)

Princeton 34
Sycamore 35
End of 3rd
Sycamore has been leading most of the game. Should be a great 4th quarter