• Colerain (10-14)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Middletown (8-15)

• Lakota West (5-18)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
But you have to have buy in and help from community members as well... I don't think anyone puts much effort into any youth program other than little cards football.
Hard to believe there's not enough interest in basketball in that whole community to support a youth program. Is the football mentality so strong that it kills all other interests throughout that district?

Hard to believe there's not enough interest in basketball in that whole community to support a youth program. Is the football mentality so strong that it kills all other interests throughout that district?
It comes from the head coach. He must be a strong personality with a record of success who knows how to develop a real culture of expectations. Also the a d and administration must be behind him. Colerain is a large enough school that you can have success in both football and basketball. It does not have to be one or the other.

It comes from the head coach. He must be a strong personality with a record of success who knows how to develop a real culture of expectations. Also the a d and administration must be behind him. Colerain is a large enough school that you can have success in both football and basketball. It does not have to be one or the other.
So, why would none of the current or previous basketball coaches at Colerain have started this if it is so integral to success? I don't believe the high school coach has to be the one to start a youth program. I have been in leadership positions in two different district's youth programs and they had very little, if any, involvement from the high school coach. The community members liked basketball and wanted their kids to play. It is crazy that the whole district has that little interest. I guess it explains the state of the high school program.

So, why would none of the current or previous basketball coaches at Colerain have started this if it is so integral to success? I don't believe the high school coach has to be the one to start a youth program. I have been in leadership positions in two different district's youth programs and they had very little, if any, involvement from the high school coach. The community members liked basketball and wanted their kids to play. It is crazy that the whole district has that little interest. I guess it explains the state of the high school program.

Exactly. The head coach isn’t the one who is going to start a youth program. The head coach should give his ideas and help with the direction of the program, but it takes community members to run a youth program. I don’t know the specific situation at Colerain, but I don’t think they have any type of youth basketball program in the district.

If a head coach wants to build a successful high school program that year in and year out competes at a championship level, he better spearhead the program from the ground up. He must train and develop other coaches as well as working with the younger kids by having summer camps etc. He obviously cannot do everything himself but if you want long lasting success , it takes him being involved at all levels besides the hours he needs to spend developing the kids in grades 7 thru 12 that feed in to his program. His junior high and middle school coaches need to u derstand that they are part of the high school program and they know the system and are teaching it to their players as well. I know what it takes. Their is a huge difference between having a good team and a real program. Their are several schools in our area that this could happen. It is going to take the a d and administration of those schools to commit to finding a real coach who knows how to build a program and how to teach basketball skills

I don't think he needs to be involved as opposed to being a major influence over the youth programs. It's the culture that builds the consistent success, and having that culture reach to as young as possible and into as many households as possible makes those roots as strong as possible. So the coach's culture needs to be influential over the youth program if you want long term success. I do agree that the coaching staff from 7th grade to Varsity needs to basically all one unit.

The Princeton job should be open Monday after that piss poor coaching display last night , I heard him say before the game that he felt like West would slow it down I just laugh when was the last time Jim Leon team played slow , then I saw Princeton try to slow it down up 10

Both Princeton and Middletown are in a situation where they could have a top flight program. We shall see if the administration is ready to make moves or just looking for someone that “they know” or keeping it status quo.

The Princeton job should be open Monday after that piss poor coaching display last night , I heard him say before the game that he felt like West would slow it down I just laugh when was the last time Jim Leon team played slow , then I saw Princeton try to slow it down up 10
If that is true he is incompetent.

So who all went to the West/Princeton game last night? How'd it go?
[/. I said it before the season that coaching would be a problem at Princeton . Not the school fault that head coach left 2 weeks before the season, unfortunately the intirn coach was over in over his head ,

Princeton had a great 2nd quarter and took a 10 point halftime lead. Then in the middle of the 3rd quarter the Vikings started playing too fast and horrible defense. Still with a 4 point lead at the start of the 4th quarter. Then back and forth, when Princeton basically had some turnovers and missed free throws and still up 67-64 with 26 seconds left. Then Coombs hits a clutch 3 to tie and sends it to OT. Then West wanted it more than Princeton in OT. At the beginning of the year I had West as my dark horse. West definitely had better coaching in the 4th and OT. Congratulations to Lakota West

Imho Princeton administration should be embarrassed by the student support. LW student section showed up with a lot of energy and the team feed off of them. I just feel bad for the Princeton players not having a lot of support in the biggest game of the year

Jim Leon is a good coach and has a lot of support around him. He has coached such a wide variety of teams (including girls) that he is able to figure out what is needed to make a team work. Happy to see his success- both Lakotas have it good right now.

Jim Leon is a good coach? He went 5-18 in his first year & they went 11-11 this year, name one good team they beat. Stop with Princeton, because they had the worst coach in the city leading them. Reality check on Sunday vs Centerville. I'll give you the good guy, stop with the good coach

Princeton had a great 2nd quarter and took a 10 point halftime lead. Then in the middle of the 3rd quarter the Vikings started playing too fast and horrible defense. Still with a 4 point lead at the start of the 4th quarter. Then back and forth, when Princeton basically had some turnovers and missed free throws and still up 67-64 with 26 seconds left. Then Coombs hits a clutch 3 to tie and sends it to OT. Then West wanted it more than Princeton in OT. At the beginning of the year I had West as my dark horse. West definitely had better coaching in the 4th and OT. Congratulations to Lakota West

Imho Princeton administration should be embarrassed by the student support. LW student section showed up with a lot of energy and the team feed off of them. I just feel bad for the Princeton players not having a lot of support in the biggest game of the year

Why is a lack of student support on the administration?

Jim Leon is a good coach? He went 5-18 in his first year & they went 11-11 this year, name one good team they beat. Stop with Princeton, because they had the worst coach in the city leading them. Reality check on Sunday vs Centerville. I'll give you the good guy, stop with the good coach
[QUOTE="InTheKnow513, post: 7562613, member: 306021"

New member with 2 posts, ok I’ll bite. I follow the gmc. Technically West is 14-11 and went 8-8 in a tough conference. Went 2-1 versus Princeton, Heard of Mason beat them In the tourney. Well coached and good.

They beat the teams they should and The Who have they beat well the losses included oak hills buzzer beater and OT, Turpin early, East twice, springboro by 2 without leading scorer, lasalle lost it at the end. 3 of those teams are left in the District. Can’t take away this great tourney run! Reality check, they are in the final 32 and sure they may lose to centerville or certainly Moeller but a fantastic finish! From what I hear great coaching in the tourney and big time plays.

This is second year, let’s see how he does the next 2yrs. First time been to districts since 2006-7 not bad.

Mason is well coached and good as well? You watch different basketball than me. Mason is a shell of what they used to be the last 10 years. Hell of tourney run, beat a bad Mason & horribly coached Princeton team. Size em up for rings.

inknow, Mason didn't have the talent this year they had had in the recent past. Still a quality team with players that are Mason kids and have played all the way through school. That's always a good situation. In year #2 Coach Leon has them in the District finals after a decent season. A season where they lost 3 OT games and one at the buzzer vs Oak Hills. They competed at the top of the league, they aren't as good as East, nobody in the GMC is. I saw a team in the tournament that is playing it's best basketball of the season. There are a couple hundred teams that would still like to be playing right now and yes, Coach Leon is a good coach. Sorry you don't like him.

Coach Leon is great - He rolls the ball out and tells them to go score more than the other team. You win some and you lose some, awesome strategy.

If teams didn't get emotional at the draw he wouldn't be playing this weekend.

Elder/Tuprin - Both screwed up jumping in with East - Both would beat West
Hamilton - Should of jumped in with Princeton instead of X (But Higgins just has to show X they made the wrong hire) - Would of beat West

why would I have to manage those teams to realize that Elder, Hamilton, Turpin are all better teams than West?

If West played any of those 3 teams they arent playing sunday, that's all I'm saying

Coach Leon is great - He rolls the ball out and tells them to go score more than the other team. You win some and you lose some, awesome strategy.

If teams didn't get emotional at the draw he wouldn't be playing this weekend.

Elder/Tuprin - Both screwed up jumping in with East - Both would beat West
Hamilton - Should of jumped in with Princeton instead of X (But Higgins just has to show X they made the wrong hire) - Would of beat West
Isn’t scoring more than the other team the object of the game? And don’t you in fact win some and lose some? You sound like a very disgruntled parent or ex-coach/coach. Knocking any coach winning in the tournament with “what if” opponent scenarios is sad.