• Princeton (8-6)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Middletown (9-13)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lakota West (16-9)

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Colerain up 32-22 on Lasalle at half. Proceed to lose 71-54. Probably was there best shot a W. Maybe a shot at WW but probably not. Also probably not a shot at a GMC win.

Lakota East blown out by Madison-Ridgeland Academy in Mississippi 84-65. MRA is one of the top teams in Mississippi and features top 100 recruit Josh Hubbard. They are defending 6A and overall Mississippi state champions.

Princeton girls only dress like nine players for varsity, so it's exceptionally odd that those nine are not varsity-only, especially at a school that always has girls basketball talent. I guess not many girls came out for basketball this year.

Lakota East blown out by Madison-Ridgeland Academy in Mississippi 84-65. MRA is one of the top teams in Mississippi and features top 100 recruit Josh Hubbard. They are defending 6A and overall Mississippi state champions.
East was in striking distance of either tying or taking the lead against MRA. However, Nate Adkins was given a technical foul after waving his hand after a blocking call was called on Kenrich. A four point deficit became 9 points (3 out of 4 free throws made and a 2 point basket made). Hubbard is probably one of the best players in the nation and if you never seen him play, look him up.

Watched on BallerTV, that was a highly competitive tournament East was in, top 5 team out of NY city and the 2-3 time 5A defending state champs out of Mississippi with the #1 player in the state in his class. East had some unfortunate calls when they cut it to four points. Block/Charge then a technical, that was too much to overcome. Free throws and desperation shots dictated the final score.

I have grown to really respect and admire East over the years since Adkins took over. So anytime I can check them out whether it be on Chatterbox, YouTube or even in person I try to. Adkins doesn't fluff their non-conference schedule so I think he would be pretty good with the experience the team gained and obviously to travel to Miami for this tourney was to win the whole thing but I would imagine the team and staff learned and was able to gage more of the new style against highly competitive opponents.

2 critique I have is 1. Rotations/Subbing patterns ... noticed Coles didn't start while down there (could be disciplinary or just trying some things Mitchell started over him and played pretty well defensively in the two games I watched) and it seems guys aren't really getting into any type of rhythm offensively before line changes occur (someone mentioned its like watching Fleming's rotation when he coached at LaSalle and pressed) 2. They shouldn't press the entire game one it will allow for better rotations and subbing and two you can work on half court defense... I believe their half court defense is average at best because they press the entire game. I say surprise teams with pressing.

I think the freshman (Perry) is playing too much to score and not looking to find guys as a point guard. His points are out of rhythm unless in transition, seems like Adkins is giving him rope to learn because he has such a solid senior group but some times the freshman's play really short circuits their rhythm offensively and when he has to guard really good guards on ball he gets beat. Interested to see what comes of the second half of the season for him. He's gaining a ton of experience which works in his favor and he's super competitive for sure but I'm wondering if his mindset to score is disruptive.

Still think after watching them play this season they're my favorite to win the GMC barring no injuries.

Talented players don't stay in public school leagues in many parts of the country. It's really something that only happens in the Great Lakes/Great Plains region. In the East Coast, Gulf Coast, and West Coast, most talented players wind up at private or charter schools.

Also, I would have said that the clear cut best public school league was the MIC around Indianapolis, except Carmel (enrollment 5,400!) and Center Grove (2,604) both left the conference this year, leaving it with only 6 schools. This leaves Ben Davis (4,499), Lawrence Central (2,290), Lawrence North (2,596), North Central (3,727), Pike (3,295), and Warren Central (3,821). Still just an absurd large school conference with ridiculous talent in a state crazy about basketball.
My point wasn't to speak on the talent, we know talented kids tend to go private, it happens in the bigger districts here Moe, X, tend to get Lakota and Mason kids. My point was to strictly speak on how GMC teams represented in playing against other schools around the country for holiday tourneys. With that said GMC has some of the bigger public schools and could be the biggest public school league in Ohio, I could be wrong maybe it's a league up near Cleveland I don't know but I still think the GMC is one of the best notice I said one of the best not the best. Obviously Indiana is a whole different animal when it comes to bball and the numbers are just ridiculous in terms of enrollment at these schools. How many class As to they have????

Watched on BallerTV, that was a highly competitive tournament East was in, top 5 team out of NY city and the 2-3 time 5A defending state champs out of Mississippi with the #1 player in the state in his class. East had some unfortunate calls when they cut it to four points. Block/Charge then a technical, that was too much to overcome. Free throws and desperation shots dictated the final score.

I have grown to really respect and admire East over the years since Adkins took over. So anytime I can check them out whether it be on Chatterbox, YouTube or even in person I try to. Adkins doesn't fluff their non-conference schedule so I think he would be pretty good with the experience the team gained and obviously to travel to Miami for this tourney was to win the whole thing but I would imagine the team and staff learned and was able to gage more of the new style against highly competitive opponents.

2 critique I have is 1. Rotations/Subbing patterns ... noticed Coles didn't start while down there (could be disciplinary or just trying some things Mitchell started over him and played pretty well defensively in the two games I watched) and it seems guys aren't really getting into any type of rhythm offensively before line changes occur (someone mentioned its like watching Fleming's rotation when he coached at LaSalle and pressed) 2. They shouldn't press the entire game one it will allow for better rotations and subbing and two you can work on half court defense... I believe their half court defense is average at best because they press the entire game. I say surprise teams with pressing.

I think the freshman (Perry) is playing too much to score and not looking to find guys as a point guard. His points are out of rhythm unless in transition, seems like Adkins is giving him rope to learn because he has such a solid senior group but some times the freshman's play really short circuits their rhythm offensively and when he has to guard really good guards on ball he gets beat. Interested to see what comes of the second half of the season for him. He's gaining a ton of experience which works in his favor and he's super competitive for sure but I'm wondering if his mindset to score is disruptive.

Still think after watching them play this season they're my favorite to win the GMC barring no injuries.
Meadows gonna stick around?

Meadows gonna stick around?
I hate bringing this up again, because I don't want it to seem like I'm singling out or trying to trash talk a kid, which I'm honestly not trying to do. But I have to ask why this kid's name keeps getting brought up? He's not a standout in this league and wouldn't be a standout even at Colerain. He'd probably be the best player on bad team, but even if he had that going for him,, he wouldn't be a standout among the top players in the league. Yet his name has been mentioned in his thread more than most of the actual league's standout players.

Again, maybe I'm missing something here. I'd love to be straightened out on this point.

Only 2 people to blame here, Varsity Head Coach and possibly JV Head Coach. The Varsity Coach violating the Rules “took” the Game from those Girls. Everyone still knows who really “Won” the Game. Follow the Rules or suffer the consequences, it’s really that simple.
Exactly, nothing more.

In my mind, there are two years that stick out for the GMC being extremely deep, and they also happen to be the last two years that a GMC team won the state championship. Those years are 1992 and 2004 (the years immediately on either side of these years were also very deep, 91, 93, 03, 05, and 06 the league was very good).

In 1992, Keith Gregor (multi-year starter at Cincinnati) led Lakota to an overtime victory in the state championship game over Greg Simpson (2x Mr. Basketball and Ohio State star) and Lima Senior (Dudokovich’s dad was also on that Lakota team). Lakota finished 4th in the GMC that year and was 24-4 overall. Lima Senior finished 2nd and was 21-6. Hamilton and Chris Kingsbury (McDonald’s All-American and played at Iowa) won the league. Middletown and JJ Lucas (Jerry’s 6-10 son that played at Vanderbilt) finished 3rd.

In 2004, Hamilton won the league and won the state championship, but they did have 2 league losses to Princeton and Lakota West. Hamilton had 3 D1 players in Brandon Lampley, Billy Allen, and Jason Miller and a 5-star football recruit in Adam Myers-White (who was league POY). 2nd place Princeton featured D1 players in Mark Dortis and Ross Morin. 3rd place Lakota West had a D1 in Josh Chichester. 4th place Oak Hills had 2 future D1 juniors that didn’t even start. 5th place Lakota East had D1s in Jeremy Sallee and James Dews. 6th place Sycamore didn’t feature any D1s but made it to the regional (this may even be Sycamore’s best ever team, and we were 6th in the league!). 7th place Fairfield played Hamilton to a 38-32 game in the 1st round of the tournament. 8th place Milford featured 2 D1 players in Zach West and AJ Salerno (and some Milford people I know think this might have been their best ever team!) 10th place Colerain upset a top 10 St. Xavier team in the tournament.

For this year, the league doesn’t have the top heavy star power that 1992 did and I’m not sure there is a potential state champion in the bunch. They also don’t have the super top-to-bottom quality that 2004 did (Colerain and Oak Hills are horrendous, and Mason is bad). However, the league is very strong. I like the league’s chances at getting more team farther than the GCL-S for the first time in awhile. Unfortunately, I’m not sure anybody is winning the Southwest region as I’m not sure anybody is getting past defending state champs Centerville.
Myers White could play some serious defense.

That was my senior year! Andy Dunn went for 34 in that game. Princeton wasn't #1 though. They did win the GMC, but they hardly matched up with the best teams in the state. We all kind of knew that Daniels was only scratching the surface as a player, and he was only about 6-6 his senior year at Princeton. He continued to grow once he got to Kentucky. They had initially recruited him to play wing.
Great memories. Daniels' junior and senior years were when I first really started to appreciate high school basketball. He still has the best high school dunk I've ever seen in person. On a fast break at Fairfield, coming from the left, contorted his body in midair to avoid a defender, then up and under windmill from the right side. How many guys play point guard in high school and center in college?

Top of the league clash with Sycamore traveling to Fairfield tomorrow? What does everybody think?
Gimme FF...good as ive been saying sycamore would be this year, i dont think they matchup real well with fairfield's guards.

Gimme FF...good as ive been saying sycamore would be this year, i dont think they matchup real well with fairfield's guards.
Williams might be the best on-ball defender in the league, Bolden is fairly athletic, and Hall has enough length to actually get a hand in Woods’ face. I think Sycamore’s starters matchup quite well. The problem would be Sycamore’s guards off the bench.

Are OH and Middletown playing? website shows nothing.
West 88 Colerain 28-enough said
East 71 Princeton 64-This will be a good game. East must make jump shots, Kenrich, Mitchell, and Adkins need to score enough or could be trouble.
Mason 57 Hamilton 56-going with the home team but not with confidence.
Fairfield 64 Sycamore 57-going home team again but the game of the night.

Are OH and Middletown playing? website shows nothing.
West 88 Colerain 28-enough said
East 71 Princeton 64-This will be a good game. East must make jump shots, Kenrich, Mitchell, and Adkins need to score enough or could be trouble.
Mason 57 Hamilton 56-going with the home team but not with confidence.
Fairfield 64 Sycamore 57-going home team again but the game of the night.
West/Colerain is cancelled.

Exactly, nothing more.
agreed. and i just confirmed that said player actually played SEVEN quarters, and l believe the total for a night used to be 5, not 6. not sure when that changed, but that's all on Princeton. you simply CAN'T let that kid play more than 6. if you're only playing 8 players on varsity, for the most part, you know who your JV players are and how many quarters they've been in. you make sure your book person knows as well as one of your assts to be in charge of that to make sure you don't go over the limit.

agreed. and i just confirmed that said player actually played SEVEN quarters, and l believe the total for a night used to be 5, not 6. not sure when that changed, but that's all on Princeton. you simply CAN'T let that kid play more than 6. if you're only playing 8 players on varsity, for the most part, you know who your JV players are and how many quarters they've been in. you make sure your book person knows as well as one of your assts to be in charge of that to make sure you don't go over the limit.
Rule changed last season to 6 quarters.

Rule changed last season to 6 quarters.
This rule has gone back and forth over the years. It was 6 back when I played, then I know they reduced it to 5 in like '03??? As a junior, I swung between JV and Varsity, and they would sit me 1 quarter in the JV game so I would have 3 for the varsity game.

Honestly, the easiest way for this to get screwed up is in a empty-the-bench blowout. That sounds like that's what happened for Princeton.

Looking at the box score for East's last game. They are really jacking up a ton of 3's, and not making them either.

Looking at the box score for East's last game. They are really jacking up a ton of 3's, and not making them either.
They really need to slow it down and get back to focusing on their man-to-man defense, possibly tightening up their rotation some too.

Well, Sycamore-Fairfield didn't disappoint. Fairfield wins 61-60 in overtime on a Logan Woods 3 with 10 seconds left. Sycamore got the ball the other way and Burgess missed a wide open layup with 3 seconds left. Rogers got the rebound but traveled. On the out-of-bounds play, Southerland was hammered on a corner 3 and the refs swallowed the whistle.

Both teams traded buckets pretty much the entire 4th quarter and overtime. Really great game. Neither team led by more than 1 possession the entire 4th quarter and overtime.