Girls State Team Spreadsheet

lwhs1986

Coaches-
A number of schools across the state have started a girls program, so we are reaching out to other programs that are starting teams or considering it. I you are going all in... or even if you think you might have 2-4 girls... please fill out the Google Sheets link below. This will allow new programs to start communicating and scheduling match-ups. We started adding schools that we have heard are starting programs, if any of it is wrong simply delete your name. Please forward to anyone that may fit the bill.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11V1nvzkEMgM6CMKHJpuOWbHPf_lRAOX6Un468Od4jtM/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance,
Brian Nicola (Olentangy Orange) and Dave Ressler (Lutheran West)

36 teams already on the spreadsheet! Please pass on to any head coaches in the state. We sent it out from a state list, but about 20 emails came back undelivered.

I added Mogadore to the list, we will have 1 girl for sure, maybe 2. We have 2 8th grades as well so next year we will at least have 3 girls on the team.

The one girl on the team this year will start varsity, so probably only the girls state tournament that doesn't go toward the 20 points will be likely for her.

I added Mogadore to the list, we will have 1 girl for sure, maybe 2. We have 2 8th grades as well so next year we will at least have 3 girls on the team.

The one girl on the team this year will start varsity, so probably only the girls state tournament that doesn't go toward the 20 points will be likely for her.
Zoe did well last year, looking forward to seeing her again at sectionals and at girls state.

Zoe did well last year, looking forward to seeing her again at sectionals and at girls state.
Yup, she qualified for districts and won OAC girls state last year. In a small bracket (only 3 or 4 round robin?) but she won it.

She ended up with 10 wins last year as a freshman. I am going off memory but I think only about 4 or 5 of those were FFs in duals, so she had 3 or 4 legit wins against boys and she beat all of the girls she wrestled (1 at sectionals and the 2 or 3 at OAC).

Will there be a qualifier for state or this year will all girls who wrestle automatically be qualified.

Qualifying: There will be NO sectional, district or regional meet to qualify. All females that are members of their high school team are eligible to compete. Each competitor must be on the team’s Alpha Roster and have completed the weight assessment. This State tournament follows all rules set by the OHSAA. Competing in this tournament DOES NOT count against tournament points for the wrestler/team (same as state duals).

The spreadsheet now has over 40 schools with 2 or more girls. Many with 6 or more. Lutheran West, Olentangy Orange and Alliance just booked a tri match at Mt. Union! Keep it Growing! Pass along the link to coaches that might have girls wrestling.

The spreadsheet now has over 40 schools with 2 or more girls. Many with 6 or more. Lutheran West, Olentangy Orange and Alliance just booked a tri match at Mt. Union! Keep it Growing! Pass along the link to coaches that might have girls wrestling.
I originally put 1-2 for Mogadore, just got confirmation that we will have 2. I wasn’t sure if the one 8th grader from last year was coming out again as a freshman, but she is apparently so we will have 2.

Still working on the Athena Combine, but we have our first clinician committed... 4x DI AA & 3X US National Teamer Mike Mena is the new Womens Head Coach at NAIA Lindenwood Univ. Mike will be running one of our sessions at the combine. More news to come...mark this down on your calendars. Flyers will be made available to athletes at Athena Nationals on Nov 3rd. and then via mail the week after.

Just curious but how many teams are needed for OHSAA to sanction a girls State Tournament?
Add in a college combine for GIRLS interested in wrestling in college...May 16, 2020 in Cincinnati. Things are moving very fast in very positive ways for the girls wrestling movement in Ohio. 2-3 years we will have an OHSAA Girls State Championships

Not seeing a specific minimum for entering the emerging sport status, but the OHSAA regs talk of 150 schools before moving to be sanctioned.

You might be right, but 150 sounds like a lot. When I competed in boys gymnastics in Illinois there were only about 45 teams in the state and it was sanctioned. Obviously a different state and different rules, but I would think that a number around 50 would be a more reasonable requirement.

Bellefontaine HS is hosting it's Inaugural Lady Chiefs Wrestling Tournament on Feb 1, 2020.

Weigh-ins are at 7:30 AM with wrestling beginning at 9 AM.

Entry Fee: $20 / girl with a cap of $140 / school.

Next season, my goal is to hold a JH girls and a HS girls tournament on the same date. #fingerscrossed

Please contact: hiattb@bcs-k12.org if you are interested in attending.

Thanks,
Brady Hiatt

Here is some updated information from Tyler Brooks regarding girls wrestling this season:

3 – FAQs on Girls Wrestling

As numbers of female wrestlers continue to increase, please review some topics below that I am getting a high number of questions on right now.

OHSWCA Girls State Tournament
The Ohio High School Wrestling Coaches Association (OHSWCA) Girls State Tournament is being conducted by the OHSWCA, not the OHSAA. Participation in this event does not affect a wrestler’s ability to participate in either the OHSAA Individual or Dual Team Tournament. Additionally, participation in this event will not accrue any points toward the individual’s or team’s regular season schedule point limitation.

Girls-Only Wrestling Regular Season Events
If your school would like to have your female wrestlers participate in girls-only events, you can include those events on a separate schedule from your primary Varsity schedule. Participating in girls-only events does not take opportunities away from other wrestlers on your team. For instance, your school could have a varsity, junior varsity, and a girls-only schedule.

Remember, each schedule is limited to 20 points (no more than 16 tournaments points) and each wrestler is limited to 20 points. Wrestlers can accrue their points from any schedule.

Below is a link to a spreadsheet containing information on girls wrestling participation by schools across the state for the upcoming season. This document was not created nor maintained by the OHSAA. The creator of the document is Olentangy Orange High School Assistant Wrestling coach Brian Nicola and his email is Brian_Nicola@olsd.us.

Follow link to access: Girls Wrestling Spreadsheet

Girls Participating on Non-Scholastic Teams
Once a wrestler (boy or girl) has participated (in either a scrimmage or regular season contest) for your team, they cannot compete non-interscholastically and be eligible to return to the school team this season. Competing against clubs does not constitute non-interscholastic competition. Non-interscholastic competition is when an athlete wrestles for a club or non-scholastic team.

Add in a college combine for GIRLS interested in wrestling in college...May 16, 2020 in Cincinnati. Things are moving very fast in very positive ways for the girls wrestling movement in Ohio. 2-3 years we will have an OHSAA Girls State Championships
I would like to get info on the Combine. If someone could please forward it to me: ouaz.wrestling@ottawa.edu I am the Head Coach of the Women's Wrestling Team at Ottawa University Arizona. Thanks

Bumping to the top, as I am seeing many teams enter rosters with multiple girls. If that is your team, be sure to add your info to the spreadsheet.

Watkins Middle School (central Ohio) has 7 girls on the wrestling team. Are there any regular season middle school all girl tournaments in Ohio?