Girls shooting from their shoulder?

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
I've watched a number of girls games the past couple of years but really dont know any coaches.

I'm curious whether girls shooting from their shoulder is encouraged, discouraged, or simply don't mess around with a girl's form after they get to high school?

Any thoughts or experience with it?

Fixing a kid's shot if they've got to HS with bad form is a tough road to hoe... it's not impossible but if they're at all consistent with their bad form, it's often not worth it.

To me for girls, if they shoot the ball well, I wouldn't mess with form. Now if they are a bad shooter, then what's the problem? I don't think it's as critical for girls to get shots off quickly or as high because shooters generally can get space to get shots off in the girls game. Girls can be better shooters than boys because they can shoot more flat footed (better foundation) and the ball is smaller, better chance of going in.

I've watched a number of girls games the past couple of years but really dont know any coaches.

I'm curious whether girls shooting from their shoulder is encouraged, discouraged, or simply don't mess around with a girl's form after they get to high school?

Any thoughts or experience with it?
I recall a golfer who had an unusual swing that lacked follow through. She said coaches had tried to get her to change her swing over the years, but like many well endowed women there were a "couple reasons her arms stopped short".

Don't know if that's what your seeing, an adjustment to overcome natural obstacles? I do know the shooting coach I took my son to would teach boys and girls the exact same methods, but not all kids would perform the shots exactly as instructed.

The shoulder shooters I have seen have very low rotation on the ball, and when they miss, the rebound is generally quite long away from the basket.

I can only share with you what Dave Schlabach taught at Hiland. Very early on - I'm talking biddy ball - they taught shooting with form. They used to send the kids to Sports City and Jimmy Clayton in Hurricane, WV to learn it. And then they would perfect shooting jump shots with form.

I saw kids Hiland played over the years average a ton of points shooting 3s from the shoulder and when they would play Hiland, Dave would face guard them and play their shooting arm - and they would struggle.

Teach kids to shoot with form. If you don't, when you come up against a good defensive team, they will take away the thing you have been relying on. FWIW

Last edited:
I can only share with you what Dave Schlabach taught at Hiland. Very early on - I'm talking biddy ball - they taught shooting with form. They used to send the kids to Sports City and Jimmy Clayton in Hurricane, WV to learn it. And then they would perfect shooting jump shots with form.

I saw kids Hiland played over the years average a ton of points shooting 3s from the shoulder and when they would play Hiland, Dave would face guard them and play their shooting arm - and they would struggle.

Teach kids to shoot with form. If you don't, when you come up against a good defensive team, they will take away the thing you have been relying on. FWIW
Just to add to this, you need to make sure you are giving the kids the right size ball for their age if you expect them to shoot with form. Giving K-2 kids a varsity ball and then trying to teach them form shooting is a challenge from what I witnessed this year.

Just to add to this, you need to make sure you are giving the kids the right size ball for their age if you expect them to shoot with form. Giving K-2 kids a varsity ball and then trying to teach them form shooting is a challenge from what I witnessed this year.
And teaching young kids form from any distance beyond the foul line is ridiculou!

There are a lot of fundamentals being lost. Too much emphasis on winning in youth rather than teaching. Most youth games seem to be a high pick and roll for the most athletic player and see what happens rather than teaching every player all aspects of the game including form shooting.

There are a lot of fundamentals being lost. Too much emphasis on winning in youth rather than teaching. Most youth games seem to be a high pick and roll for the most athletic player and see what happens rather than teaching every player all aspects of the game including form shooting.
100% truth.