Gilmour basketball

Man its hard to watch new regime at GA. The new coach seems to me ok. But doesnt have control of the team or coaching staff. Assistant Kurt Culler is constantly yelling and screaming like a crazy person (sometimes over Decranes shoulder). I have no idea how the kids know what to do with all the screaming from Culler. It seems Culler is force feeding his kid playing time as well just as Sean O'toole did last year with his older son. Speaking of O'toole. He sits on the visitor side each game and pouts. I think if Coach Decrane wants to succeed he needs to sit Culler down and tell him to be quiet. What a show on the sidelines

Stow you are correct on the assistant coach yelling waaaaay too much.
I have no personal beef and he seems nice enough to me but they need one voice yelling from the bench and that is the head coach.

It’s good to have aggressive assistants that teach and motivate....BUT.....
Culler is over the top in the first two games.

THE HEAD COACH NEEDS TO:

1) SET THE TONE

2) RUN THE GAME

I look at Decrane and see that the kids like him and play extremely hard.
He plays a fun aggressive style and knows what he is doing.

If he fails it will be because he doesn’t reign in the assistant coach.

Period.

I think he will fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh and I think you’re being a little hard on O’Toole.
I get what your saying but it’s probably a little harsh.
He is in a goofy spot and seems to just wanna sit and watch his son.
No biggie I don’t think.
Seems to work as his boy had career high 34 last night.

I can see your point on Sean. I don’t like to comment or criticize on kids performaces. They’re kids. Agree that the kids like Decrane and he will be much better off if he sits Culler down

No offense but the O'Toole kids were two of the better kids on last years team and should have played a lot. The one who is there now (along with CJ) is also there best scoring option.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Sport Forums smart

Any chance you guys have no idea what you're talking about? Any chance at all that the new coach has given the assistant coach certain responsibilities that he is supposed to handle during the flow of the game? I have no idea. Nor have I ever seen them play. However, it is not uncommon for a head coach to delegate certain game matters to the assistant coach. Possibly he's in charge of the defense or something. Just kinda quick to judge. No matter what, it seems you're critiques on both the assistant and the former assistant are quite over the top, especially on such a small sample size.

Wasn't the assistant on the staff last year? Did he yell like that last year? If is yelling this year, and not last year, maybe its because he's supposed to? Again, I've never seen them play.

Last edited:
No Hands I am not intending to criticize the HC or the assistant coach.
They know what they are doing.
Just observing the obvious early on.

HC and the experienced assistant are both very good in my humble opinion.
I have total respect for both.

Its obvious that you are correct that the the head coach has specific duties for the assistant during the game.
Too me that’s a no sh$&t kind of thing lol.

All I was saying is the HC and assistant will need to clean it up as they go.
This young team needs to have one clear guy out front and that is the HC.
The HC can not get drowned out by the assistant.
That’s all.
They play 100 mph and the bench chaos will hurt down the line if not cleaned up a bit.

I previously pointed out that I thought that the HC would fix it.
I don’t think it is as bad as the other guy said but it is worth noting early on.

No Hands I am not intending to criticize the HC or the assistant coach.
They know what they are doing.
Just observing the obvious early on.

HC and the experienced assistant are both very good in my humble opinion.
I have total respect for both.

Its obvious that you are correct that the the head coach has specific duties for the assistant during the game.
Too me that’s a no sh$&t kind of thing lol.

All I was saying is the HC and assistant will need to clean it up as they go.
This young team needs to have one clear guy out front and that is the HC.
The HC can not get drowned out by the assistant.
That’s all.
They play 100 mph and the bench chaos will hurt down the line if not cleaned up a bit.

I previously pointed out that I thought that the HC would fix it.
I don’t think it is as bad as the other guy said but it is worth noting early on.

I've heard good things about the new HC. But don't really know anything about him. The new HC must like the hold over assistant to have kept him on. I'm guessing he had no obligation to do so.

Any chance you guys have no idea what you're talking about? Any chance at all that the new coach has given the assistant coach certain responsibilities that he is supposed to handle during the flow of the game? I have no idea. Nor have I ever seen them play. However, it is not uncommon for a head coach to delegate certain game matters to the assistant coach. Possibly he's in charge of the defense or something. Just kinda quick to judge. No matter what, it seems you're critiques on both the assistant and the former assistant are quite over the top, especially on such a small sample size.

Wasn't the assistant on the staff last year? Did he yell like that last year? If is yelling this year, and not last year, maybe its because he's supposed to? Again, I've never seen them play.

yes he yelled and screamed last year along with otoole. Both assistants are reasons Pfundstein left. Administration would not let O'toole be assistant this year. Only allowed to be the AD. Culler hung on as assistant. I have confidence in the new coach if he reigns in Culler. Trust me if you have attended any of the games this is not what the HC wants. He is new and needs to find the right time and place to correct this. I agree as well he will. But you have two dads of kids on the team involved in the program. That is not easy in todays day and age. I do not have any kids on the team. Im not that invested besides being GA alum. But right now this needs fixed. There is alot of confusion. Trust me

Coaching can be rough.

You spend 5 weeks teaching your team how to play defense and put in a bunch of sets.

Gametime comes. The 'fortnite fatigured' players proceed to do almost nothing that they were coached. Then they listen to their parents in the stands instead of the coaches on the sidelines. Sometimes one might lose their temper. Not the best look, but it happens.

No idea whats happening at GA, but give it some time before you rip a coaching staff. It's a tough gig. These guys put in tons of time and get paid very little.
With the said, I'm not a huge fan of excessive season long screaming coming from the sidelines.

Coaching can be rough.

You spend 5 weeks teaching your team how to play defense and put in a bunch of sets.

Gametime comes. The 'fortnite fatigured' players proceed to do almost nothing that they were coached. Then they listen to their parents in the stands instead of the coaches on the sidelines. Sometimes one might lose their temper. Not the best look, but it happens.

No idea whats happening at GA, but give it some time before you rip a coaching staff. It's a tough gig. These guys put in tons of time and get paid very little.
With the said, I'm not a huge fan of excessive season long screaming coming from the sidelines.

As an ex coach i get that. Thats why i am concerned. I see the interaction between the HC and the AC. Its not good body language. And the parents at GA arent really coaching from sideline

GA pulled out a close one last night. CJ was amazing and got them the W despite poor shots selection by others and continued Culler nepotism. He may have yelled less. I think Coach Decrane is reeling in the yelling and screaming. Better substitution pattern and the courage to pull kids when not playing within the team. I still feel Culler is weighing this team down.

GA. 80

Walsh 72

I agree with Stow that there was poor shot selection at times.
The too quick 3’s is what I am referring to.
CJ Charleston good grief is fast and amazing.
Drive after drive and how bout that 2 handed tip dunk
Walsh was ok and their timely 3’s kept them close.
GA needs to do a little better job defending that.
Love GA style of play and they play very hard.
The AC backed off a bit I think and that should continue to improve.

Sat on this for a week. GA lost v Joes because for some reason the coaching staff sits the starters for long periods. Look at the +/- numbers. In the Joes game the starters got out to double digit lead. Reserves come in and gone. Happened in the fourth. Lead gone while coaches sit their best defender Ian Miller in favor of coaches kid. This strategy works against Trinity, JFK etc. not joes. At the end of the year when they play South and Bene and the tournament they will get run. Can’t believe Decrane doesn’t see this.

Coach Decrane if you read this save your season and fire Culler. If you continue to play his kid you will lose all games against good teams. This guy Culler is a mess on the bench. Stop calling timeouts so his kid can get a full 4 minutes per quarter. There is a reason Culler has been fired from all his coaching jobs.

GA struggled versus a bad US team. Coach Decrane continues to overuse his reserves while losing on the defensive end by sitting Miller and Coan. They will not get out of districts if this continues. Look at the stats and film. You are hurting the team but sitting Miller so much.

Last edited:
GA struggled versus a bad US team. Coach Decrane continues to overuse his reserves while losing on the defensive end by sitting Miller and Coan. The continued dependence on useless assistance coach Kirk Culler is Decrane Achilles heel. You are overplaying Cullers kid and will not get out of districts if this continues. Look at the stats and film. You are hurting the team but sitting Miller so much. It’s absurd. We wish Pfundstein was still there. I blame Sean Otoole for all this. He made Pfundstein step down as Pfundstein could no longer share bench with Otoole. And Otoole brought Culler with him. Culler lasted one year at Nordonia and got fired. What a mess right now. Three games they lost, two of them (Holy Name and Joes) were because excessive bench play led to loss of the lead while starters sat. Almost happened again last night. The fans were livid and started cat calling for substitutions. I’m sure it was heard as I could hear on other side of the gym. I prefer to sit on visitor side and keep quiet. That may need to change

Stow I think you're being a little too tough on the HC.
Love your passion though.

HC doesn't want to lose .... but IMO he has to find out who he can count on for the tournament by playing the bench in tough situations during regular season games.
This team is YOUNG.

Stow I think you're being a little too tough on the HC.
Love your passion though.

HC doesn't want to lose .... but IMO he has to find out who he can count on for the tournament by playing the bench in tough situations during regular season games.
This team is YOUNG.

I want to feel that way but when he continually plays the assistants kid at end of games in place of his two best defensive players in Coan and Miller i get confused. Otoole and Charleston are not good defensive players. They continually give up easy baskets because the two of them do not rotate. When Coan and Miller are out there with Olsen everyone knows where they are supposed to be. They do not give up easy baskets. And Miller continually gets extra posessions for GA. Theres no reason he sits for more than a minute or two. I guess we will see next week v South and Bene

GA will miss all time leading scorer CJ Charleston next year but will have a good team returning.
Very young team this year is only losing two seniors with some quality JV guys moving up.
Not a bad season but really could have been better.
Playoff loss was a wet blanket lol.
On to next year....

Stow you been wanting that done since the season started per your prior comments.
Looks like you got what you wanted if what you say above is true.

Gosh, if all I have heard/read about his coaching is true, hope and pray that he does not come back to his alma mater. Thought he had potential as a coach. Watched him play in high school and college, and lost track of him once he left as JV coach at Stow.

No, nothing at all, somewhat surprisingly.

I just know a few people in positions of influence at Stow had high hopes for Kirk a decade or so ago.

Apparently Macedonia was too far for Kirk to keep the job at Nordonia so i am assuming Stow would be as well. Maybe Bob Krizanic will see his worth and hire him at Mentor