George Karl: NBA has steroid issue

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Personally, I believe this is a big issue in the NBA. For some reason, it's the one sport that has been able to appear clean but I think that is coming to an end shortly.

We’ve got a more thorough drug-testing program than the NFL or MLB, which we always brag about. But we’ve still got a drug issue, though a different one than thirty years ago. And this one bothers me more than the es who got in trouble with recreational drugs.

I’m talking about performance-enhancing drugs—like steroids, human growth hormone, and so on. It’s obvious some of our players are doping. How are some guys getting older—yet thinner and fitter? How are they recovering from injuries so fast? Why the hell are they going to Germany in the off-season? I doubt it’s for the sauerkraut.

More likely it’s for the newest, hard-to-detect blood boosters and PEDs they have in Europe. Unfortunately, drug testing always seems to be a couple steps behind drug hiding. Lance Armstrong never failed a drug test. I think we want the best athletes to succeed, not the biggest, richest cheaters employing the best scientists. But I don’t know what to do about it.

Read more:
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/12/26/george-karl-nba-has-steroid-issue/

I think we want the best athletes to succeed, not the biggest, richest cheaters employing the best scientists. But I don’t know what to do about it.

And this is where Karl is wrong. Don't get too full of yourself, George. Yeah you were payed a lot and so are the athletes but sports are entertainment strictly. I want the best possible. If that means taking PEDs, go for it.

And this is where Karl is wrong. Don't get too full of yourself, George. Yeah you were payed a lot and so are the athletes but sports are entertainment strictly. I want the best possible. If that means taking PEDs, go for it.

Before surgically enhanced breasts, etc., there was Raquel Welch, Sophia Loren, Ursula Andress and earlier, Marilyn Monroe. Taking in these women, their natural beauty...THAT was entertainment. One in a million, extraordinary...beautiful. Today...Pam Andrrson is a beautiful woman. Scarlett Johansson is lovely. But the beauty, the entertainment is diminished because they have, or might have, purchased their beauty.

You are right. It's about entertainment. If someone takes PED's...or if I suspect they are taking PED's, I'm not as entertained. There's something more to sports entertainment than the length of a home run or the extension on a dunk. The human element...

P.S...I'm not sure PED's can successfully be policed,but they diminish MY entertainment of sports.

Before surgically enhanced breasts, etc., there was Raquel Welch, Sophia Loren, Ursula Andress and earlier, Marilyn Monroe. Taking in these women, their natural beauty...THAT was entertainment. One in a million, extraordinary...beautiful. Today...Pam Andrrson is a beautiful woman. Scarlett Johansson is lovely. But the beauty, the entertainment is diminished because they have, or might have, purchased their beauty.

You are right. It's about entertainment. If someone takes PED's...or if I suspect they are taking PED's, I'm not as entertained. There's something more to sports entertainment than the length of a home run or the extension on a dunk. The human element...

P.S...I'm not sure PED's can successfully be policed,but they diminish MY entertainment of sports.

You're a joke.

You make a distinction between steroids and HGH? What is the distinction in your mind?

One has proven to have many harmful long-term side effects, whereas, by most accounts, the other is beneficial to overall health.

Another distinction I'd make is that steroids create a dependency whereas HGH does not

I feel like my post is pretty self-explanatory.

It is. You think that since sports are strictly for entertainment purposes that cheaters should be allowed in order to get the full entertainment value. I could not disagree more. Unless you want all sports to become WWE wrestling.

It is. You think that since sports are strictly for entertainment purposes that cheaters should be allowed in order to get the full entertainment value. I could not disagree more. Unless you want all sports to become WWE wrestling.

The Jim Lahey script. He makes a statement. If you ask for an explanation/clarification, he refuses. If you disagree with the original comment, you get an insult.

My personal opinion is that if EVERYONE is on steroids, the top .1% of basketball players will reach the NBA.

If NO ONE is on steroids, the top .1% of basketball players will reach the NBA.

The current system where some are and some are not creates an uneven playing field. There are more talented people being beaten out by less talented people who use an artificial advantage that is detrimental to long-term health.

With the way that AAU is being run, especially at the highest levels, I wouldn't be surprised if PEDs are commonly used. The benefits are too significant and downside won't appear for years. For those that are in their "invincible" teens and early 20s, it's a risk they are not afraid to take.

The game may be better today because aging superstars are able to continue playing for much longer than their predecessors but it's still cheating IMO. I believe that George Karl is absolutely telling the truth but it probably doesn't matter because our culture has changed.

So if you have a budding superstar in basketball that may only get to 6' tall, maybe you can make an appointment at a young enough age where you can pick up 4-5 more inches and have an NBA ready body by the time they hit 20 years old.

WWE has had a wellness policy for awhile now. This isn't the 80's or 90's anymore. Even the wrasslin' business has taken steps to curb bad habits from roids to dope. Too many have died young to turn a blind eye.

The Jim Lahey script. He makes a statement. If you ask for an explanation/clarification, he refuses. If you disagree with the original comment, you get an insult.

What explanation should be given to a post that says "I want the best possible athlete." ?

I find it works better than the CatAlum script: say something ridiculous, get called on it and asked for an explanation, ignore thread until the thread moves to the next page, post about something new.

Then why ask me twice if you knew the answers? And congrats, you have your opinion, I have mine. I want to watch the best athletes play as much as possible. If HGH helps prevents injuries and reduces recovery time and gets said best athletes back on the field/course/court/whatever, then yeah.

Then why ask me twice if you knew the answers? And congrats, you have your opinion, I have mine. I want to watch the best athletes play as much as possible. If HGH helps prevents injuries and reduces recovery time and gets said best athletes back on the field/course/court/whatever, then yeah.

Because I was just clarifying your statement because I couldn't believe that someone would actually say that. Steroids=cheating. Unfair advantage. You enjoy and support that. You can see how someone would need to clarify that, right?

Because I was just clarifying your statement because I couldn't believe that someone would actually say that. Steroids=cheating. Unfair advantage. You enjoy and support that. You can see how someone would need to clarify that, right?

Except it's not cheating if it is allowed and everyone playing is doing it. :shrug: But no, given you knew exactly what I was saying, I don't see how you would have needed an explanation.

Except it's not cheating if it is allowed and everyone playing is doing it. :shrug: But no, given you knew exactly what I was saying, I don't see how you would have needed an explanation.

In my opinion, the primary reason that things like steroids should be banned is that they have harmful side effects. You might say that doesn't matter if someone is willing to live with those side effects, BUT the reason it matters is because there are plenty of players out there who are NOT okay with having long-term health problems in order to compete. So, these players are either going to get passed by the guys taking steroids, or they are going to be forced to sacrifice their own health.

Conversely, if an enhancement can be proven not harmful to a person's health, then I think it should be legal. That's where I stand on HGH (though perhaps we need more study on long-term side effects where that is concerned)

And, as of my first post in this thread, I was talking about what I want. In that dream world, it WOULD be allowed and everyone WOULD be doing it.

And as I clarified, you support athletes using PEDs in order to make your watching experience more entertaining. That's what you are saying right?

Since you seem to be struggling with this I'll repost my OP. It's not difficult to figure out. Read, for God's sake.

I read. I just wanted to be absolutely sure before I told you what an idiot you are, that you support athletes being on PEDs. Now that you've made it crystal clear, I can safely say you're an idiot now. Thank you for the clarification.

I read. I just wanted to be absolutely sure before I told you what an idiot you are, that you support athletes being on PEDs. Now that you've made it crystal clear, I can safely say you're an idiot now. Thank you for the clarification.

Uh oh, now you're gonna piss off CatAlum!

But that's ironic, you calling anyone an idiot.

I'd say the Cavs have drafted pretty well

Tell that to GSW, LAC, SA, Houston, Toronto, OKC...they may have something to say about that.