General NFL Chat

What? Stroud is the best QB in the NFL draft since that other OSU QB named Joe Burrow.
He's not a better prospect than Herbert was in the Burrow draft...he's nowhere near the prospect Lawrence was in the following draft.

Good arm talent and can make all the throws with good accuracy and this year, demonstrated ability to throw accurately on the move when the play breaks down...but he never won anything, consistently looked to shy away from putting himself in harm's way whether by taking off or stepping into pressure to finish throws, and almost seems too calm/unemotional most of the time.

He's not a better prospect than Herbert was in the Burrow draft...he's nowhere near the prospect Lawrence was in the following draft.

Good arm talent and can make all the throws with good accuracy and this year, demonstrated ability to throw accurately on the move when the play breaks down...but he never won anything, consistently looked to shy away from putting himself in harm's way whether by taking off or stepping into pressure to finish throws, and almost seems too calm/unemotional most of the time.
Forgot about TL. LOL at winning anything didn't OSU win the RB with Stroud how many RB's did Brady win as a starting QB or how many big games did he win in college or how many big games Mahomes (13 - 19 record) win in college? College success(wins - losses) does not translate to NFL success or vice versa. There have been more than a few Stroud haters - doubters all year long and I have been saying he will be the no.1 pick all season and now that it appears he very well maybe, it's because it's a weak class even though Stroud put in a very impressive combine performance.

Last edited:
Forgot about TL. LOL at winning anything didn't OSU win the RB with Stroud how many RB's did Brady win as a starting QB or how many big games did he win in college or how many big games Mahomes (13 - 19 record) win in college? College success does not translate to NFL success or vice versa. There have been more than a few Stroud haters - doubters all year long and I have been saying he will be the no.1 pick all season and now that it appears he very well maybe, it's because it's a weak class even though Stroud put in a very impressive combine performance.
Ohio State has had a loaded roster, especially offensively, while Stroud has been the starter. Consistently losing big games has to fall on somebody. More often than not, I've attributed it to the coaching and have defended Stroud. His biggest wins were against a Utah team with a depleted secondary, Notre Dame and Penn State. Never won the league or a playoff game.

He's the only QB I'd consider taking high in this draft, but I'd probably most years I would say there's a guy I'd rather have than him. Next year there might be two.

Ohio State has had a loaded roster, especially offensively, while Stroud has been the starter. Consistently losing big games has to fall on somebody. More often than not, I've attributed it to the coaching and have defended Stroud. His biggest wins were against a Utah team with a depleted secondary, Notre Dame and Penn State. Never won the league or a playoff game.

He's the only QB I'd consider taking high in this draft, but I'd probably most years I would say there's a guy I'd rather have than him. Next year there might be two.
The 2 losses vs TTUN and UGA was on the defense, I don't know if a 3rd year collegiate Joe Burrow could have won those games, I doubt it. That's another thing people forget Stroud only played 3 years of college football. Brady did have talent surrounding him at TTUN on both sides of the ball. Meanwhile Stroud played without JSN, Henderson, Williams, and a bad defensive team (last 2 years).

Very predictable take from you. Young is too small, period. And SEC defenses are just as trash as everyone else’s with all the rule changes favoring offense. Stroud had little trouble with the UGA D.
Young played well, more consistently against better SEC defenses. Please don't compare big ten defenses to SEC defenses.

Look, no shade at Stroud, but he's had ELITE WR's to throw to and in most games, inferior defenses. Again, we see this annually from Ohio State QB's. Justin Fields, CJ Barrett, Terrell Pryor, Troy Smith, Cardale Jones, Braxton Miller. All of these guys played well and put up big numbers at Ohio State. Fields is still incomplete, but none of the others made it. Not even close.

The 2 losses vs TTUN and UGA was on the defense, I don't know if a 3rd year collegiate Joe Burrow could have won those games, I doubt it. That's another thing people forget Stroud only played 3 years of college football. Brady did have talent surrounding him at TTUN on both sides of the ball. Meanwhile Stroud played without JSN, Henderson, Williams, and a bad defensive team (last 2 years).
I’m sure I’m missing something but why do you keep referencing Brady? He wasn’t a top QB prospect coming out, seems like an odd comparison for Stroud.

Look, no shade at Stroud, but he's had ELITE WR's to throw to and in most games, inferior defenses. Again, we see this annually from Ohio State QB's. Justin Fields, CJ Barrett, Terrell Pryor, Troy Smith, Cardale Jones, Braxton Miller. All of these guys played well and put up big numbers at Ohio State. Fields is still incomplete, but none of the others made it. Not even close.
What do past QB's at OSU have anything to do with Stroud? Before Mac Jones how many Alabama QB's did anything in the NFL in the last 40 years? Before Joe Burrow how many LSU QB's did anything in the NFL? Remember Jamarcus Russel?

Last edited:
Just watch and learn. In a couple years you will realize that Stroud is far superior to Young. In the NFL, size matters, arm strength matters, and CJ is the most accurate passer as well.
This. At the combine Stroud impressed the scouts with arm strength but most with his accuracy - what is Joe Burrow's most impressive trait his accuracy to go along with his leadership abilities something we will find about Stroud. But again, Burrow was in college for 5 years vs Stroud's 3.

I’m sure I’m missing something but why do you keep referencing Brady? He wasn’t a top QB prospect coming out, seems like an odd comparison for Stroud.
@Stirred not Shaken this was a serious question lol. I’m realize I’m missing something so why the comparison of a sure fire first rounder to a 6th rounder? Or is it more what Brady became and what you think Stroud could/should be?

Last edited:
This. At the combine Stroud impressed the scouts with arm strength but most with his accuracy - what is Joe Burrow's most impressive trait his accuracy to go along with his leadership abilities something we will find about Stroud. But again, Burrow was in college for 5 years vs Stroud's 3.
Think Burrow’s most impressive trait is what Brady’s most impressive trait was and it’s their football IQ and, as the kids today say, having that dawg in him aka when they have the ball with less than 2 minutes and needing to drive the field and both almost always deliver. But yeah, both Burrow and Stroud are insanely accurate.

And he'll be throwing to NFL receivers now. What's your point?

No one in the Big 10 has ever been successful, apparently. Only the SEC players find success in the NFL.
I know, right? I get that OSU QB's have not had a solid track record in The League, but Stroud will be just fine. And so will Fields, clearly. And I have no doubt that Haskins would have been a solid NFL QB with another year or two in a stable system coupled with incremental growth and maturity.

I know, right? I get that OSU QB's have not had a solid track record in The League, but Stroud will be just fine. And so will Fields, clearly. And I have no doubt that Haskins would have been a solid NFL QB with another year or two in a stable system coupled with incremental growth and maturity.
And as Stirred mentioned, previous QB success has no impact on future QB success. 1) Every QB is different. 2) There’s been like 7 different systems at Ohio State in the last 2 decades, let alone since OSU football has been around, so you can’t say OSU doesn’t produce QBs because of the system. It’s just a lazy take by Red because he’s a hater.

What do past QB's at OSU have anything to do with Stroud? Before Mac Jones how many Alabama QB's did anything in the NFL in the last 40 years? Before Joe Burrow how many LSU QB's did anything in the NFL? Remember Jamarcus Russel?
My point, and it's no altogether fair to the kid, is that because Ohio State plays in the big ten, many of their QB's have historically put up big numbers and not had any success after that. Heck Troy Smith/ Terrell Pryor where muliti time big ten POY's, didn't even get a sniff at the next level.

Haskins?? Washington drafted him and basically gave him away because he wasn't going to be anything for them?? And Stroud may be fine, but I'm just saying I'd be cautious with OSU QB's because the track record isn't there.

Haskins?? Washington drafted him and basically gave him away because he wasn't going to be anything for them?? And Stroud may be fine, but I'm just saying I'd be cautious with OSU QB's because the track record isn't there.
We'll agree to disagree on Haskins. Washington thought that he didn't go through his progressions correctly or how he set his protections. And they were clearly dismayed with his game-week preparation on several occasions. But this was all fixable stuff, IMO. He needed to sit the entire year and learn, but that didn't happen. And excuse me if I don't trust the Commanders to develop a quality QB. Their track-record is straight garbage. They continually acquire other team's cast-offs and assume that guy will be the fix. Lol.

Last edited:
We'll agree to disagree on Haskins. Washington thought that he didn't go through his progressions correctly or how he set his protections. And they were clearly dismayed with his game-week preparation on several occasions. But this was all fixable stuff, IMO. He needed to sit the entire year and learn, but that didn't happen. And excuse me if I don't trust the Commanders to develop a quality QB. Their track-record is straight garbage. They continually acquire other team's cast-offs and assume that guy will be the fix. Lol.
Granted there was a coaching change, but you don't just let a first round, 15th overall, QB draft pick just because. There were some major issues with his ability to play at that level. Maybe it works out of him in Pittsburgh, maybe it doesn't. Sad how it ended for him.

Granted there was a coaching change, but you don't just let a first round, 15th overall, QB draft pick just because. There were some major issues with his ability to play at that level. Maybe it works out of him in Pittsburgh, maybe it doesn't. Sad how it ended for him.
That's not always the case now. Look at Levis and Richardson in this year's NFL Draft class. They could both be top 15 picks, and likely will given how teams seem to reach for QB's every year. You think either of these guys will start next year? They're being drafted based upon ceiling potential, arm-strength, and measurable athletic ability.

I had high hopes that things would have settled for him in Pittsburgh. Can't think of a more consistent & solid organization to develop. But as you mentioned, we'll never know - which is terribly sad.

My point, and it's no altogether fair to the kid, is that because Ohio State plays in the big ten, many of their QB's have historically put up big numbers and not had any success after that. Heck Troy Smith/ Terrell Pryor where muliti time big ten POY's, didn't even get a sniff at the next level.
It’s almost like college is different than the NFL, and the college coaches are worried about winning college games, and there are a thousand different systems across college football over 100+ years.

That's not always the case now. Look at Levis and Richardson in this year's NFL Draft class. They could both be top 15 picks, and likely will given how teams seem to reach for QB's every year. You think either of these guys will start next year? They're being drafted based upon ceiling potential, arm-strength, and measurable athletic ability.

I had high hopes that things would have settled for him in Pittsburgh. Can't think of a more consistent & solid organization to develop. But as you mentioned, we'll never know - which is terribly sad.

Based on most kick drafts, Levis & Richardson are more likely Top 10 picks this year.

As for former OSU qb Dwayne Haskins, at the time of his death (April 9th) the Steelers had already signed Mitch Trisbisky and by all accounts were still planning on taking a qb in the draft (April 30th) which obviously ended up being Pickett. If Haskins were with the Steelers heading into the season last year he either would have been cut & resigned to the practice squad or kept as qb #3 and Rudolph would have been moved/released.

Based on most kick drafts, Levis & Richardson are more likely Top 10 picks this year.

As for former OSU qb Dwayne Haskins, at the time of his death (April 9th) the Steelers had already signed Mitch Trisbisky and by all accounts were still planning on taking a qb in the draft (April 30th) which obviously ended up being Pickett. If Haskins were with the Steelers heading into the season last year he either would have been cut & resigned to the practice squad or kept as qb #3 and Rudolph would have been moved/released.
That's fair. I don't keep tabs on the Steelers, but would rather see a QB develop in this system as opposed to the Commanders current environment. Do you disagree?

@Stirred not Shaken this was a serious question lol. I’m realize I’m missing something so why the comparison of a sure fire first rounder to a 6th rounder? Or is it more what Brady became and what you think Stroud could/should be?
NW posted Stroud never won any big games in college, what big games did Brady ever win in college, yet he was very successful in the NFL including on the biggest stage of all the SB.

It’s almost like college is different than the NFL, and the college coaches are worried about winning college games, and there are a thousand different systems across college football over 100+ years.
Stroud's biggest weapon isn't his arm or legs. It's his brain. I think that's what sets him apart from other QB's in this Draft, and frankly, others that have come before him at Ohio State. That said, it he's a bust - I'll line up to eat crow. Lol.

That's fair. I don't keep tabs on the Steelers, but would rather see a QB develop in this system as opposed to the Commanders current environment. Do you disagree?

Absolutely. Redskins is a place where careers are destroyed primarily due to a toxic owner. Players need quality people around then to just have a chance at succeeding. Still a great chance to fail even if a player has great support around him. Haskins could sling it but wasn’t very mobile and had a few issues off the field.

Ben Roethlisberger is a great example. If the Browns took him over the Kellen ‘The Solder’ Winslow, there’s a far better chance Roethlisberger is just another name in a long list of failed Browns qb’s. He went to the Steelers and instead became a 1st ballot HOF.

Steelers provide a consistent environment but it’s a league of production.

Personally if you draft Levis and Richardson that high, you're insane. Unless the guy can step in a be your QB, you don't take them in the top 10 picks. Bad teams remain bad because of silly decisions like this. Levis couldn't win at Kentucky and Richardson threw 53% at Florida.