General NFL Chat

I have little respect for Aaron Rodgers anymore. The last few years in Green Bay, he pouted, didn't attend OTA's, and was just a whiner in the media. Never a sense of gratitude or loyalty to the Packers, he just dumped on them. Now in NY, he's attending OTA's, he cut his hair so he doesn't look like a hippie anymore. I just really hope the Jets fall on their faces this season.

The Vikings, unfortunately, are still caught in the Kirk Cousins trap. They have too much talent to bottom out and get an elite rookie QB in the 2024 draft, but they need to pay Jefferson and I don't think one more expensive year of Cousins beyond this year makes sense.

If anyone cares ( I don't), the Jets will be the featured team on " Hard Knocks" this year. What a surprise!!!

....not.

Three most hyped teams in the AFC will be the Jets, Jags and Broncos.
Considering they hired Sean Payton, there hasn’t been as much hype on the Broncos as I expected. I think Wilson was so bad last year and had such a cheesy catch phrase in “let’s ride” that no one believes they can win.

I have little respect for Aaron Rodgers anymore. The last few years in Green Bay, he pouted, didn't attend OTA's, and was just a whiner in the media. Never a sense of gratitude or loyalty to the Packers, he just dumped on them. Now in NY, he's attending OTA's, he cut his hair so he doesn't look like a hippie anymore. I just really hope the Jets fall on their faces this season.
I just want him to play 65% of the Jet's offensive plays... give us that conditional 2nd round pick!

Running back rant.... So alot has been made the last few days of running backs Saquon Barkley, Josh Jacobs and Tony Pollard, all good running backs who's contracts are up. NFL teams have options when they get to this point, they can sign the player to a long term extention, or come up with something else. Another item that has been collectively bargained by the owners and the players union is the franchise tag. The franchise tag allows the team to sign the player for one year at a guaranteed salary of the average of the top 5 players at that position.
Saquon Barkley is a good back. He's made $38 million in his career with the Giants, including a $20.7 million signing bonus before he even touched a ball for the Giants.
So what's the rub? I mean if he signed a 5 year deal with the Giants and then ripped his knee up half way through this season, would he give money back? If I were the Giants I'd probably tag him too.

NFL head coaches just have to loathe this time of year. They are asked so many silly questions by talking heads and they are not going to say anything. Even if Joe Burrow was out for the season, the Bengals aren't going to say it now. They have to make it seem like these practices and preseason games mean somethign but they don't.

Where is that 14Red conspiracy theory? I was pretty sure that he would say "Burrow will be back and just fine as soon as they finish up his contract."

Where is that 14Red conspiracy theory? I was pretty sure that he would say "Burrow will be back and just fine as soon as they finish up his contract."
He went with “team is lying about injury severity” for this one. I’m sure the other theory is in his Rolodex, though.

NFL head coaches just have to loathe this time of year. They are asked so many silly questions by talking heads and they are not going to say anything. Even if Joe Burrow was out for the season, the Bengals aren't going to say it now. They have to make it seem like these practices and preseason games mean somethign but they don't.
That's why I pretty much never watch people talking about sports anymore.

I might watch a pregame, and the game itself, of course.

Ohio State's Jamarco Jones made himself unwelcome. Vrabel boots him.

Giants get Isaiah Simmons from the Cardinals for a 7th round pick. Seems like a good gamble for a guy drafted 8th in 2020. If they can find a position for him and actually stop moving him around like Arizona maybe he can pan out.

As a Vikings fan, this looks like a pivotal season to me. In 2021 they lost a ton of games in the last minute and missed the playoffs. In 2022 they won a ton of games late and made the playoffs, but it was a quick exit due to the issue that plagued them all season...no defense. They wisely fired the DC and his passive scheme and hired Brian Flores...known for sound, physical D. Even without Dalvin Cook there will be plenty offense, but then we get to Kirk Cousins. This is the last year of his contract. You can win a division with Kirk Cousins. You can make the playoffs with Kirk Cousins. You can even win a wild card game with Kirk Cousins. But can you win a Super Bowl with Kirk Cousins? I'm inclined to say no, though teams have done it with lesser QB's. The Vikings will be in another Cousins dilemma, though. They have no other QB and they won't draft high enough for a highly regarded rookie next year. Do they sign Cousins again for a couple years and hope for the best? I actually believe they can make a run at winning it all this year, but it is entirely dependent on getting the Eagles or Niners at home in the NFC title game, to get off the sloppy grass and into the dome. Ohhhh...and Justin Jefferson will get paid, so that again really cuts down the options at QB for 2024.

As a Vikings fan, this looks like a pivotal season to me. In 2021 they lost a ton of games in the last minute and missed the playoffs. In 2022 they won a ton of games late and made the playoffs, but it was a quick exit due to the issue that plagued them all season...no defense. They wisely fired the DC and his passive scheme and hired Brian Flores...known for sound, physical D. Even without Dalvin Cook there will be plenty offense, but then we get to Kirk Cousins. This is the last year of his contract. You can win a division with Kirk Cousins. You can make the playoffs with Kirk Cousins. You can even win a wild card game with Kirk Cousins. But can you win a Super Bowl with Kirk Cousins? I'm inclined to say no, though teams have done it with lesser QB's. The Vikings will be in another Cousins dilemma, though. They have no other QB and they won't draft high enough for a highly regarded rookie next year. Do they sign Cousins again for a couple years and hope for the best? I actually believe they can make a run at winning it all this year, but it is entirely dependent on getting the Eagles or Niners at home in the NFC title game, to get off the sloppy grass and into the dome. Ohhhh...and Justin Jefferson will get paid, so that again really cuts down the options at QB for 2024.
Vikings have been a odd team the last few years. Good offensive weapons, good QB, yet just can't seem to put it all together. The future QB thing will work itself out. There will be several QB's available after the season to pick up, it's becoming like a lot of positions, unless you have one of the half dozen elite QB's, then you just pick up a solid vet and go. Like alot of teams in the NFL, health is big for the Vikings. If they can stay healthy, there is no reason they can't be right in contention in the NFC.

Week One results are typically the weirdest of the season. The Lions open with the win over the Chiefs and will be terribly overrated for a couple weeks. Ohhh, they can make the playoffs, but they aren’t at KC’s level.

Week One results are typically the weirdest of the season. The Lions open with the win over the Chiefs and will be terribly overrated for a couple weeks. Ohhh, they can make the playoffs, but they aren’t at KC’s level.
The NFC North isnt very good. I think its reasonable to say they can legitimately challenge Minnesota for the Division. They aren't on KC's level, but its nice to see the underdog prevail every now and then. Who knows, maybe this 1 loss keeps KC from getting the #1 seed in the playoffs.

The NFC North isnt very good. I think its reasonable to say they can legitimately challenge Minnesota for the Division. They aren't on KC's level, but its nice to see the underdog prevail every now and then. Who knows, maybe this 1 loss keeps KC from getting the #1 seed in the playoffs.
I agree. I just felt Mike Tirico’s gushing over the win, implying it was some huge statement win in Lions franchise history, was pretty over the top. It’s one regular season win, and opening week has historically produced some weird results.

This is what makes the NFL superior to college football there are no layups. Last 10 years 7 different SB champs. Only consistent in NFL is the browns will puke the season away one way or another.

This is what makes the NFL superior to college football there are no layups. Last 10 years 7 different SB champs. Only consistent in NFL is the browns will puke the season away one way or another.
I have never seen the NFL as a superior game experience to college football, but college football insists on shedding all the good things that made it different from the NFL and will ultimately make itself largely irrelevant over time, much like the demise of college basketball (sans the tourney).

Fair, I’m easily entertained.
Let's face it, the Browns are low-hanging fruit. JaMarr Chase added to it yesterday with his comments. I'm a Vikings fan, so slap them around. At least they've had some success, even though they once made Kirk Cousins the richest QB in the NFL. 😕 The Browns are just too easy. Like kicking a 20 year old dog with cancer.