General NFL Chat

Frank Reich’s tenure was euthanized today. Not surprising that it eventually goes south when you go with a bunch of patchwork, short-term QB solutions. With mostly underwhelming WR weapons and a big-money, underachieving O line, you have to figure GM Chris Ballard’s days are numbered, too.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

Tennessee WR group caught zero passes last night. Granted, Ryan Tannehill and Treylon Burks didn’t play, but that’s unheard of.

Tennessee, Indy, Green Bay and to a lesser extent Cleveland have to be competing for worst WR unit in the league.

The Colts bringing in Jeff Saturday from ESPN to be interim head coach is insane. No coaching experience aside from high school football in Georgia (2017-20).

But I guess he’s tight with Jim Irsay. He’s probably there to get an up-close read on players and report his opinions to Irsay, who seems exceedingly likely to use that info to a) fire GM Chris Ballard, and b) feed that into to a new GM.

The Colts’ staff doesn’t have anyone on it who has ever called offensive plays in the NFL.

Tennessee WR group caught zero passes last night. Granted, Ryan Tannehill and Treylon Burks didn’t play, but that’s unheard of.

Tennessee, Indy, Green Bay and to a lesser extent Cleveland have to be competing for worst WR unit in the league.

I'm a Titans fan, this WR group has had a tough year. Not having Burks doesn't help, but if you're on an NFL roster, you should be able to get open and catch a pass. Now Titan QB Malik Willis did throw two balls that could have easily been caught, but the Titans, without Tannehill, is really pushing the running game, and most passed are to tight ends and running backs.

The Colts are going for a very high draft choice so they can get a qb. This hire is official notice that they intend to tank.

The Colts are going for a very high draft choice so they can get a qb. This hire is official notice that they intend to tank.
trying to convince players with millions of dollars on the line to "tank" is going to be a rough conversation. Purposeful use of less capable players or play-calls will get recognized and punished by the league.

trying to convince players with millions of dollars on the line to "tank" is going to be a rough conversation. Purposeful use of less capable players or play-calls will get recognized and punished by the league.
Fortunately for them, playing Sam Ehlinger to see what they’ve got there is a reasonable avenue to tanking that won’t get any brushback since Matt Ryan was playing poorly anyway.

No such thing as tanking in the NFL. Too many guys on the roster playing for their careers on a weekly basis. Probably the largest difference in the major team sports of football/ basketball and baseball. Too many basketball/ baseball players are not motivated to play.

No such thing as tanking in the NFL. Too many guys on the roster playing for their careers on a weekly basis. Probably the largest difference in the major team sports of football/ basketball and baseball. Too many basketball/ baseball players are not motivated to play.
Sure there is, it just isn't on the obvious player level. Instead, it is done on the level of the owners and GMs. There's no other way to explain the Hugh Jackson led Browns teams. Hugh was awful, but it was very obvious that the franchise was tanking and saving money, hoarding draft picks and giving up wins in the short term for earlier draft position.

Sure there is, it just isn't on the obvious player level. Instead, it is done on the level of the owners and GMs. There's no other way to explain the Hugh Jackson led Browns teams. Hugh was awful, but it was very obvious that the franchise was tanking and saving money, hoarding draft picks and giving up wins in the short term for earlier draft position.
How has that worked out?

I seem to recall the Texans pretty blatantly tanking right before drafting Deshaun Watson, if my memory serves me. Wasn’t there a trade of Brock Osweiler for nothing but draft compensation that made it clear what was going on? Now I’m going to have to look this up.

I seem to recall the Texans pretty blatantly tanking right before drafting Deshaun Watson, if my memory serves me. Wasn’t there a trade of Brock Osweiler for nothing but draft compensation that made it clear what was going on? Now I’m going to have to look this up.

I was wrong. Never mind. They just wanted to offload Osweiler’s bloated salary since they were drafting Deshaun Watson, so they sent Osweiler’s contract and picks to Cleveland since the Browns were tanking and had a ton of extra cap space.

In principle it worked out great. They had great draft positions and a ton of money to spend. But then, they "Browns'd it" up.
All I'm saying is there are already systems in place to keep parity in NFL football, they are GREAT at it.

One is the NFL draft - and this works the best of all sports because "most" players are "game ready" when they step into the league. In baseball - there's 3-5 year plan for each player, especially high school players. In basketball same thing, guys are drafted at 18 years old and you don't know if they have hit their basketball peak or are just starting.

Also, the NFL balances their schedule better than anyone. You finish in first place, you play the other first place teams next season in your non-divsion games, you finish last, same thing. So the teams that have a good season but may have just had some good things go their way get socked with a tough schedule the next season. That keeps balance in the league.

Finally, the salary cap. Yes, some teams are obviously better than others, but you pretty much have to flip 20-25% of your roster annually. Nearly daily, NFL front offices have to evaluate what the player brings to the team vs. what they are being paid. Many times there are really good palyers on teams that simply cannot be afforded anymore. The NBA has a salary cap but it's a joke, and baseball has no cap. The gap between the top paid teams and the bottom is $200 hundred million per season currently.

The Colts bringing in Jeff Saturday from ESPN to be interim head coach is insane. No coaching experience aside from high school football in Georgia (2017-20).

But I guess he’s tight with Jim Irsay. He’s probably there to get an up-close read on players and report his opinions to Irsay, who seems exceedingly likely to use that info to a) fire GM Chris Ballard, and b) feed that into to a new GM.

The Colts’ staff doesn’t have anyone on it who has ever called offensive plays in the NFL.

If that’s true, what kind of coach is Josh McDaniels?

He’s about to lose to a guy who got up out of his recliner to come to Indy and never coached in the NFL, let alone major college.

I think any more that a head coach's primary job is to be a good administrator. Choose good coordinators and be a strong leader/motivator and don't try to do too much (e.g. Kevin Stefanski insisting on calling plays). Maybe Saturday can pull those things off.

I think any more that a head coach's primary job is to be a good administrator. Choose good coordinators and be a strong leader/motivator and don't try to do too much (e.g. Kevin Stefanski insisting on calling plays). Maybe Saturday can pull those things off.
Zac Taylor’s in the same boat with Stefanski.

Eagles go down to Washington 32-21. It was just a matter of time the Eagles have been not very good in the 2nd half all year and for the first time were trailing at the half.
I was watching some pregame chatter on Sunday and the group was guessing when the Eagles would lose their first game. Most were saying game 14, game 16..it’s the NFL fellas, the Eagles are good but not world beaters. I wouldn’t be surprised if they lose 3,4 more.

A first I hated the call on the roughing, but the more I see it.....ya gotta call that. It wasnt a violent hit, but man the QB was on his knees..he took three steps.....and he easily coulda got his knee and ankle trapped for a bad injury.

To say ya shouldned end a game like that.......eh. If that happens in the first qtr...it gets called as well, and likely leads to some pushing, shoving and maybe some fights/retaliation. It is like in hockey when ya mess with the goalie.

He easily could have stopped or kept going. He saw him on his knees and coulda kept on going.

The eagles are who we thought they were. Not nearly as good asa their record.....remember the steelers a few yaers ago who started like 11-0 and sputtered. I dont think the Iggles are as bad as taht steelers team, but they arent that great.

Well they aren't doing it right because they won last week. Really hard to tank in the NFL.

A first I hated the call on the roughing, but the more I see it.....ya gotta call that. It wasnt a violent hit, but man the QB was on his knees..he took three steps.....and he easily coulda got his knee and ankle trapped for a bad injury.

To say ya shouldned end a game like that.......eh. If that happens in the first qtr...it gets called as well, and likely leads to some pushing, shoving and maybe some fights/retaliation. It is like in hockey when ya mess with the goalie.

He easily could have stopped or kept going. He saw him on his knees and coulda kept on going.

The eagles are who we thought they were. Not nearly as good asa their record.....remember the steelers a few yaers ago who started like 11-0 and sputtered. I dont think the Iggles are as bad as taht steelers team, but they arent that great.
I thought and still think officials need to use discretion on these calls. The lineman for the Eagles was clealry pulling up. These are 300 lb men going full speed, they are not going to stop on dime. Heineke was on a knee, but not braced so he could easily be knocked down. I could see the initial flag, but I think at least 80% of us agree this was not the intent of the penalty. It's like the replay rule in baseball when a guy slide into a base and his foot pops up briefly and he's called out. We can't even see it live, only on replay. Some of these things need to be managed out of the game just because.

I thought and still think officials need to use discretion on these calls. The lineman for the Eagles was clealry pulling up. These are 300 lb men going full speed, they are not going to stop on dime. Heineke was on a knee, but not braced so he could easily be knocked down. I could see the initial flag, but I think at least 80% of us agree this was not the intent of the penalty. It's like the replay rule in baseball when a guy slide into a base and his foot pops up briefly and he's called out. We can't even see it live, only on replay. Some of these things need to be managed out of the game just because.
He had plenty of time as he took 3 plus steps.

Maybe but is it possible the Browns organization just really sucks. What I find laughable is that the Dolphins supposedly tanked in 2019, the fish won their last 2 games in 19 including an OT win vs the Bengals. If the dolphins had lost those 2 games they would have Joey B. as their QB right now.

Maybe but is it possible the Browns organization just really sucks. What I find laughable is that the Dolphins supposedly tanked in 2019, the fish won their last 2 games in 19 including an OT win vs the Bengals. If the dolphins had lost those 2 games they would have Joey B. as their QB right now.
Oh, I think we can all agree that part of the Browns failures has been consistent historical sucking.