GCL South boys league results. No LaSalle freshman/jv?

Another example demonstrating that coaches are everything in HS cross country.
Coaches are everything. Bad coaching = bad teams on average. Simple as that. Good coaches = good teams on average. Coaches that EXPECT their athletes to do well place burdens on themselves to do what is needed to make their athletes good. Expect greatness as a coach. Do what is necessary and LEAD the team, and the kids will respond in kind.

The St. Xavier monopoly is a sad development in the world of GCL and Greater Cincinnati Cross-Country. It wasn’t that long ago that 3/4 teams going to State from Cincinnati/Dayton were GCL schools. And there are only 4 teams in the GCL!

What happened to Elder and LaSalle? I'm sure the answer is complicated, but any clue on how these programs became a shadow of what they were? I went to Elder forever ago and came here to specifically see how the GCL meet went (the weather this time of year always makes me nostalgic for my cc days) and was pretty shocked.

The St. Xavier monopoly is a sad development in the world of GCL and Greater Cincinnati Cross-Country. It wasn’t that long ago that 3/4 teams going to State from Cincinnati/Dayton were GCL schools. And there are only 4 teams in the GCL!
What do you consider it wasn't that long ago? It's had to been 20-30 years since 3 GCL school make it to state.

What happened to Elder and LaSalle? I'm sure the answer is complicated, but any clue on how these programs became a shadow of what they were? I went to Elder forever ago and came here to specifically see how the GCL meet went (the weather this time of year always makes me nostalgic for my cc days) and was pretty shocked.
LaSalle parted ways with Frank Russo.

LaSalle parted ways with Frank Russo.
It's been quite a few years since Russo left. I wouldn't chalk it all up to him no longer coaching. LaSalle's enrollment has dropped quite a bit in the last several years.

Like someone hinted to earlier, the St. X monopoly is a big factor as well (success breeds success). If you're a successful runner in grade school, and have aspirations of being a successful, serious runner in high school...and you are looking at both LaSalle and St. X , which school are you going to be more interested in?

What do you consider it wasn't that long ago? It's had to been 20-30 years since 3 GCL school make it to state.
Three GCL teams last went to state twelve years ago in 2010 and thirteen years ago in 2009. I seem to recall a year when all four went to state, maybe Seek Up can help here. When La Salle won in 2010, it was their 7th regional championship in cross country under Coach Russo.

Last edited:
Unfortunately for Lancermania and all the alum of the the North Bend Road school, the admin fubared themselves in showing Frank Russo & co. the door. Idiots. Mr. Russo & his staff had another 10 years of quality coaching they would've done at LaSalle to go: yet, the admin thought they knew better. They didn't. Another example of how those that are admins think they know better than successful coaches. They don't. Getting an outstanding coach like Frank Russo along with his dedicated staff is a rare thing to put together. In fact, it happens more by happenstance than by design. Idiots.

Sorry, but that's my 2 cents on that subject.

After winning two state titles at DII Taylor, the coach went to Mason and won two state titles there. the only state titles in cross country at both schools.
Another example of success following a coach that knows what they're doing. The individual school doesn't create a great program. Great coaches create great programs, and good admins are those that recognize that their role is to recruit and HELP those coaches to be successful.

Three GCL teams last went to state twelve years ago in 2010 and thirteen years ago in 2009. I seem to recall a year when all four went to state, maybe Seek Up can help here. When La Salle won in 2010, it was their 7th regional championship in cross country under Coach Russo.
In 1999, all four teams from the GCL South qualified.

Another example of success following a coach that knows what they're doing. The individual school doesn't create a great program. Great coaches create great programs, and good admins are those that recognize that their role is to recruit and HELP those coaches to be successful.
I would imagine that Mason was in pretty good shape before he got there.

In that respect, what kind of program did Frank Russo create when he coached at Edgewood ? Looked like he had two male runners on the team.

How many years was Russo at Edgewood? One? Two? When he started coaching at La Salle, La Salle had qualified to the regional only once in their history. It took Russo four years to have a team at regional, then his teams qualified to regionals for 26 straight years.

As for Mason girls, I checked a ten year period from 1994-2003 and they didn't even have a team at the state meet. With the current coach, they make it to state every year

Last edited:
2 freshman on the team. Damn. I have no affiliation with LaSalle, as I went to Elder a very long time ago. I just am saddened that a GCL school can't even field a freshman or JV team for the league race.
LaSalle Athletic Department has turned into a complete sh it show!! LaSalle has a handful or more of New Varsity Coaches this yr. The AD wants the Basketball Coach gone too but hasn’t been able to accomplish that as of yet. Take a small peak at how some of the former Varsity Coaches at LaSalle have been treated by this AD and administration.

I would imagine that Mason was in pretty good shape before he got there.

In that respect, what kind of program did Frank Russo create when he coached at Edgewood ? Looked like he had two male runners on the team.
Mason (on the boys' side) never placed higher than 3rd in their district meet until 2007. They have competed in the district meet since 1924, but they were usually a "smaller" school. From my current research they competed in the Dayton district meets from the mid-70s to mid-90s. I remember them as a Class AA / Division II until the city of Mason experienced its massive population growth in the 1990s-2000s.

On the girls' side, Mason was never a powerhouse until they emerged with their first district win in 2003.

That makes sense about LaSalle. Thanks. What about Elder though? It still seems like they have a decent sized team.

As pointed out earlier, 2010 was 12 years ago.

Since then, St. Xavier has been the only GCL school to qualify for the State meet.

It surprises me how abruptly Elder and LaSalle dropped off after 2010. Obviously, Russo was a significant factor. But Elder and LaSalle very quickly went from two of the best programs in the state to two programs that don't always make it to Regionals.

Question: Are LaSalle and Elder struggling in terms of enrollment/endowment as well? I'm wondering if this is a symptom of something else going on at those schools or not.

Since then, St. Xavier has been the only GCL school to qualify for the State meet.

It surprises me how abruptly Elder and LaSalle dropped off after 2010. Obviously, Russo was a significant factor. But Elder and LaSalle very quickly went from two of the best programs in the state to two programs that don't always make it to Regionals.

Question: Are LaSalle and Elder struggling in terms of enrollment/endowment as well? I'm wondering if this is a symptom of something else going on at those schools or not.
LaSalle won 4 state championships in football since 2010. I’m not sure what you are looking for.

Think last year and this year Elder Freshman Class was around 200. Elder still D1 so enrollment maybe on a slight increase or holding steady. LaSalle it seems as whole has really just turned into a human circus! Over the last 10 years LaSalle has let go of some outstanding Teachers,struggled with enrollment and other issues.