GCL Coed 2019-20

New thread for 2019-20?

• Yes

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thanks for the info. Parents calling the shots, that’s interesting. Why do they have any input on how the coach coaches? Sounds like a toxic environment. Any of those parents posting on Yappi by chance?

Thanks for the info. Parents calling the shots, that’s interesting. Why do they have any input on how the coach coaches? Sounds like a toxic environment. Any of those parents posting on Yappi by chance?

Athletic Director sent out surveys after the season last year. Only reported the bad ones to the principal. Certain set of parents wanted Kreke out because they didn't like the way he coached. Wanted more of a transformational coach. Very toxic environment. I really feel bad for Moss. He has to keep everyone happy, along with a lot of alumni not being happy with the process. The principal will only listen to certain people.

Athletic Director sent out surveys after the season last year. Only reported the bad ones to the principal. Certain set of parents wanted Kreke out because they didn't like the way he coached. Wanted more of a transformational coach. Very toxic environment. I really feel bad for Moss. He has to keep everyone happy, along with a lot of alumni not being happy with the process. The principal will only listen to certain people.
That’s a shame. Helicopter parents suck.

Badin beats Springboro 58-49
Mcnick loses 66-65 at Aiken
Alter killed whoever they played in SC.
Carroll beats Tecumseh 67-54

I guess, give CJ credit for playing them. They are the only one of the coed schools brave enough (or dumb enough) to do so. After seeing last night’s score, I doubt that will continue. CJ has always played a great schedule, but playing Moeller makes no sense. Makes you wonder how they gave them a game last year. They will recover.

I guess, give CJ credit for playing them. They are the only one of the coed schools brave enough (or dumb enough) to do so. After seeing last night’s score, I doubt that will continue. CJ has always played a great schedule, but playing Moeller makes no sense. Makes you wonder how they gave them a game last year. They will recover.
Someone’s gotta play them. It’s about preparing yourself for the post season and winning the Coed. CJ is not going to play a better team this season.

Last edited:
It used to be all the co-ed schools played all the big 4 once in a season. I don’t know what happened with that. I remember watching some classics between Alter and X.

Still quite a few GCL-Coed teams playing GCL-South teams: Badin just played and beat Elder, McNick plays LaSalle later this season, Purcell played LaSalle already and plays St. X and Elder later this season, CJ still has LaSalle later in the season, Roger Bacon already played St. X and has LaSalle coming up, and Fenwick plays St. X later in the season. The only GCL-South team that a lot of the Coeds don't play is Moeller because they have been so good. CJ has played them pretty consistently the past couple years and Purcell played them the last two years. Most of the the other schools stopped playing them 4 or 5 years ago.

Alter won the Hilton Head Seahawk Classic yesterday. Buddy of mine told me they blew out some 6A team from Florida the first round, beat a regional finalist 5A team from Virginia, and upset Durham Academy who has a top 50 player and some other dudes in their class. Alter hit something like 15 or 16 3s. Coach Coulter seems to have this group rolling right now after that first loss at McNicholas

Still quite a few GCL-Coed teams playing GCL-South teams: Badin just played and beat Elder, McNick plays LaSalle later this season, Purcell played LaSalle already and plays St. X and Elder later this season, CJ still has LaSalle later in the season, Roger Bacon already played St. X and has LaSalle coming up, and Fenwick plays St. X later in the season. The only GCL-South team that a lot of the Coeds don't play is Moeller because they have been so good. CJ has played them pretty consistently the past couple years and Purcell played them the last two years. Most of the the other schools stopped playing them 4 or 5 years ago.

I think this is the first year Alter hasn't played anyone in the GCL South. I would bet the adding those extra GCL games, holiday trip, FFTH, and the other two year agreements with out of league opponents on the schedule prevented Alter from doing so. Petro always played 3-4 of those teams each year and Coulter has played 2-3 South teams each year. I know they scrimmaged Moeller twice this summer. Alter, CJ, and Purcell always schedule the big boys. Badin I think just plays Elder. You won't see Fenwick or Carroll calling up the South teams at all.

I think this is the first year Alter hasn't played anyone in the GCL South. I would bet the adding those extra GCL games, holiday trip, FFTH, and the other two year agreements with out of league opponents on the schedule prevented Alter from doing so. Petro always played 3-4 of those teams each year and Coulter has played 2-3 South teams each year. I know they scrimmaged Moeller twice this summer. Alter, CJ, and Purcell always schedule the big boys. Badin I think just plays Elder. You won't see Fenwick or Carroll calling up the South teams at all.
Fenwick has played at least 1 big boy every year for the past 8-10 years. It was usually the south teams that didn’t want to schedule

Fenwick plays @ St X this season.

Alter won the Hilton Head Seahawk Classic yesterday. Buddy of mine told me they blew out some 6A team from Florida the first round, beat a regional finalist 5A team from Virginia, and upset Durham Academy who has a top 50 player and some other dudes in their class. Alter hit something like 15 or 16 3s. Coach Coulter seems to have this group rolling right now after that first loss at McNicholas
Maybe, but Alter always seems to find an out of town holiday tournament with subpar competition. Again, maybe not this year, but they did play in the 2nd level of this year’s tournament, not the best division. That being said, I do think they will be the best D2 team in the area, especially after Thurgood has already lost to CJ and Stivers.

Fenwick with another blown lead going to the 4th quarter. Up 5 and lose it in OT vs Miamisburg. Hopefully, they can beat Monroe on Saturday, if not Coach Moss might not get his 1st W for a while.

Maybe, but Alter always seems to find an out of town holiday tournament with subpar competition. Again, maybe not this year, but they did play in the 2nd level of this year’s tournament, not the best division. That being said, I do think they will be the best D2 team in the area, especially after Thurgood has already lost to CJ and Stivers.

That's not accurate. Every year, they go south and play pretty good teams that have size, athleticism, and numbers. My source told me the brackets were based on enrollment; gold was large school and silver was small. There was no choice in the tourney to play up. They are playing well but they will be tested vs CJ coming up in about a week. Trotwood, Thurgood, and Alter/CJ are the top 4 teams in Dayton D2 right now. It is still really early. If I was Fenwick, I'd try to get atleast one win before the decade comes to a close.

Badin 50
Bellbrook 44

Go to swohiosportsdaily.com for Rick Cassano's report and 37 photos from the game

Annual subscription is 16 cents a day, monthly subscription is 33 cents a day