GCL Coed 2019-20

New thread for 2019-20?

• Yes

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
With what I have seen so far, I think the GCL is going to be a battle this year. Any team could be a favorite, but going on the road to play is always tough in this league.
Mcnick is underrated and Carroll is playing tough. Would love to see RB make a run this year. Heard they have a 6'10" kid?
I agree. No doubt in my mind that boy has a strap.... the way he was handing out those soups were impeccable

Alter 60 Roger Bacon 20. Spartans scored 6 points in 2nd half. Went scoreless in the 4th Q until about a minute left

Purcell goes up to Carroll and gets a W after being down 10 at half. That makes Purcell the only gcl co Ed team left without a loss in the league. I know it’s only 3 games but considering what they lost to graduation to go to Badin and to Carroll and get wins is pretty tough.

CJ coach needs to convince the team that it’s already the 2nd half when the game starts. Down 27-12 at half against Badin and took the lead under a minute but ultimately lost in last 30 seconds.
Tonight got down 30-11 at half to Mcnick and came back and forced OT at 58-58 only to lose in OT.
They could be really good if they put 2 halves together.

CJ coach needs to convince the team that it’s already the 2nd half when the game starts. Down 27-12 at half against Badin and took the lead under a minute but ultimately lost in last 30 seconds.
Tonight got down 30-11 at half to Mcnick and came back and forced OT at 58-58 only to lose in OT.
They could be really good if they put 2 halves together.
It appears McNick was shooting lights out for much of the game 12/19 3 pt. One player was 6/7. That’s being in the zone.

New coach in Falconville starting out 0-3 with the best returning player in the league? I watched their game against Badin last night, a slew of turnovers.

GCL co-ed will be a battle every night. there are no easy games in this league. McNick/CJ game was a great game in the second half. McNick guards vs CJ bigs and the guards made more plays in OT but CJ bigs are relentless.

GCL co-ed will be a battle every night. there are no easy games in this league. McNick/CJ game was a great game in the second half. McNick guards vs CJ bigs and the guards made more plays in OT but CJ bigs are relentless.

I heard that it was CJ’s guards who led the comeback, not their bigs. CJ does appear to be inconsistent, but a hard playing team that doesn’t give up. What’s new? Looking forward to seeing them play.

I heard that it was CJ’s guards who led the comeback, not their bigs. CJ does appear to be inconsistent, but a hard playing team that doesn’t give up. What’s new? Looking forward to seeing them play.
actually it was the guards making some big plays and shots but I guess I was talking about how the bigs were attacking the glass and getting second chance shots. Guards for both teams played really well. McNick guards don't seem to turn ball over much. they make the extra pass almost every time for a better look.

BADIN-FENWICK

Go to swohiosportsdaily.com for Eric Hickey's report and E.L. Hubbard's photo gallery from the game

Annual subscription is 16 cents a day
Monthly subscription is 33 cents a day

Any Alter folks know what the competition level is for Alter in their tournament in Hilton Head? They went 2-1 last year in South Carolina (not sure if its the same tourney or not).

Tonight
CJ easily over RB.
Braun will get his but its not enough - McNick will prevail over Fenwick. "Transformational" Fenwick will sit at 0-4.
Badin holds off Carroll at home.

Saturday
Moeller will handle CJ
Aiken knocked McNick out of the tourney last year - chance for payback? Its at Aiken - I give them the slight edge.
Badin @ Springboro - Badin won this in regular season last year. I'll take Badin in a close one.
Carroll easily over Tecumseh.

Purcell off til 2020.

Don’t forget, “transformational” Fenwick has the Leagues best big man and only D1 recruit. lol
Is it true the parents club at “transformational” Dumbwick picked tonights starting lineup and now requires moss to have player stats approved before posting them to gcl site?

Is it true the parents club at “transformational” Dumbwick picked tonights starting lineup and now requires moss to have player stats approved before posting them to gcl site?

Wouldn't surprise me. But he has to make sure Braun and Luers get theres. Or Moss will suffer from the dreaded parent survey.

Also, is he just getting outcoached or what? Seems like they have a lead going into the 4the qtr almost every game and they seem to just lose it every time. Does he have to make sure everybody gets the same playing time and his reserves just have trouble keeping the lead. Again, I know he has to keep the parents happy, and being transformational.

Wouldn't surprise me. But he has to make sure Braun and Luers get theres. Or Moss will suffer from the dreaded parent survey.

Also, is he just getting outcoached or what? Seems like they have a lead going into the 4the qtr almost every game and they seem to just lose it every time. Does he have to make sure everybody gets the same playing time and his reserves just have trouble keeping the lead. Again, I know he has to keep the parents happy, and being transformational.

Close wins are coach’s wins. Blowouts are player wins. Heard Jay Bills say that a few years ago. Seems to make sense, although I’m sure there are many exceptions.

Close wins are coach’s wins. Blowouts are player wins. Heard Jay Bills say that a few years ago. Seems to make sense, although I’m sure there are many exceptions.

True, and these are games that Kreke would win. No way in the world he would of lost that Carroll game or let Badin come in and score 60 plus points. Or have a 5 point lead going into the fourth quarter and lose it. Not saying it never happened to him, but not 3 games in a row. It takes a special coach to coach in the GCL especially with Fenwick type players. You have to slow it down and make it a game in the 40's. I know some people don't like that type of game, but if it wins it wins. Sure would be better then 0-4 and having no chance at league. But I am sure the A.D. and the parents are happy.....this is what they wanted.

The Fenwick AD and Principal will rationalize this year. New coach... has to have time to put in his system, etc., but eventually they will become defensive, and ultimately (probably sometime next year), embarrassed. By then, the parents will have really turned on them. It will be sad for us true Fenwick fans to watch. They are going to get what they deserve.

True, and these are games that Kreke would win. No way in the world he would of lost that Carroll game or let Badin come in and score 60 plus points. Or have a 5 point lead going into the fourth quarter and lose it. Not saying it never happened to him, but not 3 games in a row. It takes a special coach to coach in the GCL especially with Fenwick type players. You have to slow it down and make it a game in the 40's. I know some people don't like that type of game, but if it wins it wins. Sure would be better then 0-4 and having no chance at league. But I am sure the A.D. and the parents are happy.....this is what they wanted.
I admit knowing nothing about what’s going on at Fenwick. Just wondering why you think they would have won the last 3 games with Kreke? Is Fenwick a talented team that is wasting that talent with the new coach? I can’t speak for the other games but Mcnick is a difficult place to play no matter who is coaching and they have some talent. Assuming the old coach wins that game is a bit of a leap.

Badin 65
Carroll 52

Go to swohiosportsdaily.com for Eric Hickey's report on the game

Annual subscription is 16 cents a day, monthly subscription is 33 cents a day

I admit knowing nothing about what’s going on at Fenwick. Just wondering why you think they would have won the last 3 games with Kreke? Is Fenwick a talented team that is wasting that talent with the new coach? I can’t speak for the other games but Mcnick is a difficult place to play no matter who is coaching and they have some talent. Assuming the old coach wins that game is a bit of a leap.
I don’t think he said they win all 3. He said they wouldn’t lose all 3. Problem other than coach is they don’t have a prime time player to make plays in the clutch. Plenty can get their stats the first 3 quarters but to win you have to make plays in the 4th quarter. I don’t see anyone more interested in winning than just making sure they do well individually

I am not saying they win all 3. I'm saying they probably wouldn't of loss with having leads going into the 4the quarter. It takes a lot to coach in the GCL. You cant just have talent. Kreke had a staff that knew how to handle a lead and knew what adjustments had to be made. But when you have a 6'9 kid and you are losing these games against teams that there tallest player is 6'2 or 6'3, either the scheme you are running is not working or something else is going on.

I don’t think he said they win all 3. He said they wouldn’t lose all 3. Problem other than coach is they don’t have a prime time player to make plays in the clutch. Plenty can get their stats the first 3 quarters but to win you have to make plays in the 4th quarter. I don’t see anyone more interested in winning than just making sure they do well individually

Exactly, the individualism is what probably hurting this team. Kreke would never stand for it. You have supposedly a senior that can play (according to his parents) go 3 for 30 after shooting 24% last year, you will have issues. But when a coach that comes in, knows that the parents run the program, this will happen. Plus, his recruits not coming in, hurt also.

I am not saying they win all 3. I'm saying they probably wouldn't of loss with having leads going into the 4the quarter. It takes a lot to coach in the GCL. You cant just have talent. Kreke had a staff that knew how to handle a lead and knew what adjustments had to be made. But when you have a 6'9 kid and you are losing these games against teams that there tallest player is 6'2 or 6'3, either the scheme you are running is not working or something else is going on.

I see Fenwick getting 8 wins this year. That would be the worst season since 2009. Wonder if the parents will be happy?

I see Fenwick getting 8 wins this year. That would be the worst season since 2009. Wonder if the parents will be happy?

Only, if certain players get there stats. I don't think it's about winning. How many GCL schools would fire a coach after they won the league? It's all about a few certain kids, and there parents run the show.