GCL Coed 2019-20

New thread for 2019-20?

• Yes

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Being a Fenwick employee I wanted to chime in on a few things posted on here by basketballfan0728 and doon2625.

"For a man you all claim to have such high ethical and moral standards, it seems a bit contradictory for said man to “pop in” on fenwicks trainings when he’s coaching for another rival and team in the league, but maybe that’s just my opinion"
You do realize that the man still teaches in the building, don't you? Since he is in the building everyday, how many times have you seen him "pop in" on a practice?

"ACTUALLY THE BY-LAWS STATE THAT AS LONG AS THE COACH/TRAINER ISN'T ON THE HIGH SCHOOL STAFF HE IS ALLOWED TO TRAIN THE ENTIRE GROUP AS LONG AS THE TEAM IS ALL DOING INDIVIDUAL SKILL WORK-OUTS"
Are we supposed to believe you when you say Moss isn't breaking any rules, but you make this incorrect statement? Since you don't know the rules how can you judge whether they are being followed?

"He didn’t have a chance coming into the position, as if it was his fault the AD made the decision to get rid of Kreke."
Anybody who came into that position was going to have a rough time based on how the school handled Kreke's dismissal. Of course most of the other coaches in the area did their due diligence before applying and learned what a mess the athletic department is. That is why there were only a small handful of applicants to choose from.

"First of all I didn't assume anything.... and you were not there so you are making your assumptions based on what someone told you"
How do you know I wasn't there? Are you making that assumption? How many faculty members walk thru the gym everyday? And since you seem to assume you know what day this all took place, was it the day that flu shots were being given and the staff came in early to school? Is that why Kreke was there that day? To get his flu shot, not check on the practice? How can you assume it was Kreke who said anything when there were a bunch of us walk thru that day?

Both of you want to pile on Kreke like it is his fault that training violations are being questioned. But neither of you has discussed the illegal Carroll recruiting issue. Why don't you give us your insight as to how that wasn't a violation? Is it true that Carroll reported the issue to the state and Fenwick didn't?

And do either of you want to start discussing the joint practices that Fenwick and Franklin held together this fall?

I get that you guys want to support Moss and that's fine, but don't start ripping Kreke when you obviously don't know everything. There are a lot of faculty/coaches at the school who have no respect or trust for the athletic director. Have you ever thought that some of the inquiries are directed at him instead of Moss?

I think I will just wait until the videos start coming out before I say anything else.

Without establishing any boundaries it is impossible to cross any boundaries and that is a mentality Fenwick seems to have adopted over the last several years. In order to compete at the highest level in this league you need to step on some toes and make people upset. At the end of the day it is about doing what’s in the best interest of the kids so I see no issue with reaching out to Carroll kids in attempt to save them from that hole. I mean if any of the coaches had some real common sense they would be pitching the St Xavier, Moeller, Elder, and La Salle studs about coming to play at a school that has girls.

Without establishing any boundaries it is impossible to cross any boundaries and that is a mentality Fenwick seems to have adopted over the last several years. In order to compete at the highest level in this league you need to step on some toes and make people upset. At the end of the day it is about doing what’s in the best interest of the kids so I see no issue with reaching out to Carroll kids in attempt to save them from that hole. I mean if any of the coaches had some real common sense they would be pitching the St Xavier, Moeller, Elder, and La Salle studs about coming to play at a school that has girls.
Really? The boundaries on that are established by OHSAA. I know others do it but that doesn’t make it right.

Is that what you think a high school coach is supposed to be? A recruiter? Why do you think sports are part of a kids education? Think of what participation in athletics teaches a young person, or how much character development it is responsible for. What lesson does stealing players from another school teach? Loyalty, the meaning of hard work, etc? I don’t think so. You must have never been on a team in high school or you would understand this. When athletics stops developing character it no longer has any place in high school. Recruiting teaches kids to cheat and win at all costs. It teaches that your team members don’t matter. They are easily replaceable. In fact it teaches that you can be replaced. My sons are young. I can promise you that they won’t participate in an AAU program disguised as a high school team.
On another note, Fenwick basketball was very respected under Kreke. It may not have won tournament championships, but it did win some GCL titles. Remember, they had to best Alter and CJ to win those league titles. Not an easy task. I think before too long we will all wish our team competed at the level of Kreke’s teams.

Cmon guys - you can’t get me hooked on the Fenwick soap opera and then cut me off!! Surely the AD had to do something this week - either come to the conclusion there are no violations or he had to self report. Bad timing that all this happening during Homecoming Week. Not a great discussion for alums to have about how messed up Athletic Department is. Surely Collison is getting some heat about all of this. Somebody give me an update

Cmon guys - you can’t get me hooked on the Fenwick soap opera and then cut me off!! Surely the AD had to do something this week - either come to the conclusion there are no violations or he had to self report. Bad timing that all this happening during Homecoming Week. Not a great discussion for alums to have about how messed up Athletic Department is. Surely Collison is getting some heat about all of this. Somebody give me an update

I mean Collison was at Moeller at one point... He obviously is ok with the basketball program going out and "attracting" players.

Heard big stuff is about to go down at Fenwick this week for violating OHSAA laws regarding basketball... :)

Heard big stuff is about to go down at Fenwick this week for violating OHSAA laws regarding basketball... :)

Heard the same thing, but didn't hear who reported them?? They set a precedent by firing the assistant coach who tried to recruit the Carroll kid - does that mean Moss is getting fired this time? Or Coleman?

What is Three Ohio Kings? Please don’t tell me that the Badin coach is ripping off parents for cash in the name of basketball.

Some pre-season predictions

North:
1. Alter
2. CJ
3. Carroll
4. Fenwick

Central:
1. McNick
2. Roger Bacon
3. Badin
4. Purcell

No divisions this year and a true round robin. Everyone plays everyone else home and away. I think Alter is my #1 and after that ???

CJ lost a lot, but has quite a few players back, and don’t forget Fenwick has the best Bigin the League back and a couple of guards with a lot of experience. Two new coaches who were left some players.

The GCL will be competitive and since each team plays each other twice, it is going to be hard to go perferct or have one loss in the league.

Alter and CJ will battle it out. Fenwick is going to be down esp in GCL play. Fenwick was bad skill wise last year minus Napier. The GCL does a pretty good job in limiting a team's only player. Alter has two 6'8 shooting threats plus a well rounded group of players in Uhl, Smith, Kolb, and Shane.

Fenwick look pretty good last night in scrimmage vs Deer Park and Woodward , even with out there football players. Good test for them against the athleticism of both of those squads. Should be interesting to watch in GCL this year

"The overall goal is to make sure that all of our programs align with our purpose: Bishop Fenwick provides education-based athletic programs while using sports as a platform to provide positive transformational experiences in the lives of our student-athletes.” JournalNews article

Being somewhat involved in Fenwick, they’ve gotten kind of culty the last few years with this transformational stuff both on and off the athletic fields/courts. Sound a little like what Moeller went through under this principal. Seem to be striving to be more of a private vs catholic school, if you know what I mean. We’ll see how it goes the next couple of years

Bacon and Purcell leaving GCL for MVC in all sports for 21-22 school year. What does that do to the rest of GCL co-Ed school? I’m hearing McNick may follow... can’t imagine they want 45 minutes plus rides to every away opponent.

Bacon and Purcell leaving GCL for MVC in all sports for 21-22 school year. What does that do to the rest of GCL co-Ed school? I’m hearing McNick may follow... can’t imagine they want 45 minutes plus rides to every away opponent.

How gutless! O’Neil doesn’t surprise me, but Kerr sure does. He always plays a good schedule. What’s wrong with their football teams taking the challenge of working a bit harder and getting better? I presume this is about not competing with Alter in football. CJ, Badin, and Fenwick appear to be up to the challenge.

Losers... I bet McNicholas will try to get out but there's nowhere for them to go. Purcell and Bacon leaving also potentially messes with the competitive balance lawsuit.

Geographically Fenwick is in a tough position. They would love the MVC, but it doesn’t work. With their enrollment dropping each year and the planning committee expecting a 18% decline in enrollment the next 5 years, I’m guessing they try to align with a revamped SWOC