GCL Coed 2019-20

New thread for 2019-20?

• Yes

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
800 hundred plus schools in Ohio compete every year times 100 plus years of competing and only 200 + coaches are in the 300 Wins club!! Rarified Air.

If #177 is that impressive to someone, I'm sure he will be hired quickly for another opening.

1) St. Xavier
2) Chaminade Julienne
3) Beavercreek

None of those 3 schools would hire him. I doubt he would want those jobs anyways. Not saying he's not qualified, just saying that those are not good fits for him.

X; looking for someone that can actually turn X into a reputable program
CJ: Charlie should get the promotion from within
Bcreek: public school and the problems you would have to deal with there. Football and basketball both suck there

Last edited:
None of those 3 schools would hire him. I doubt he would want those jobs anyways. Not saying he's not qualified, just saying that those are good fits for him.

X; looking for someone that can actually turn X into a reputable program
CJ: Charlie should get the promotion from within
Bcreek: public school and the problems you would have to deal with there. Football and basketball both suck there

You've made my point for me. If he is that attractive of a candidate, someone would scoop him up pretty quickly. Your comment about why not St. X says it all. Making a change with a guy who is basically .500 over 30 years, is not a big deal.

You've made my point for me. If he is that attractive of a candidate, someone would scoop him up pretty quickly. Your comment about why not St. X says it all. Making a change with a guy who is basically .500 over 30 years, is not a big deal.

Prep Guru - think you missed a few points here. Nobody saying he is a great coach - more so that he is a good coach with great character who has lived and breathed the Fenwick principles and traditions for a long time. He wasn't fired based on his wins/losses - he was fired by an incompetent AD for not providing a "positive transformational experience" for the athletes. Termination was based on comments obtained from a parent survey. If the measure of a successful high school coach is strictly wins/losses, then there are a lot of unsuccessful coaches out there. And there are a lot of coaches out there with great winning % that I would never want any of my kids to play for based on their character. With Kreke you knew what you were getting - a good basketball coach that would have his teams competitive nearly every night out while doing the other things that helped his athletes become better people. Not a whole lot of other high school coaches can claim they once donated a kidney to a student that wasn't related to him/her. Kreke insisted on the things that help develop successful adults - community service over and above what the school already required, virtue studies weekly, being on time, attending everything team related, attention to studies and above all else, respect for others.

To many in the Fenwick community this move feels like an act of betrayal by the fairly new AD. An AD who has had more scheduling issues in his first 3 years than we have seen in the past 20. An AD who was forced to coach track this spring because he failed to hire a track coach timely. An AD who has a track team with record low numbers because the students opted not to run track when it was determined he was the coach. An AD who is rarely in the school building talking with the athletes. An AD who does not have an impressive resume making judgements based on a few parents opinions. Many other issues with the AD, but you get the point.

And if you want to address Kreke's win/loss record you should probably take a few things into account. For many years Fenwick was the only D4 school in a league made up of all D1 and D2 schools. Racked up some losses those years. Then they moved to the GCL and for a while played all the GCL South teams in addition to the GCL CoEd teams. I have never known Kreke to "recruit" players or attend AAU games of prospective students. Sure he would like to have great talent every year, but trying to convince those kids to come to Fenwick isn't what he or Fenwick is about. He does the best with what kids walk thru the door on the first day of school. And think about where Fenwick is located - half way between Cincinnati and Dayton. Catholic kids from those cities have a great array of other Catholic schools to choose from. And to look at the losses for this year's 16-9 record - Purcell (state final 4), Hartley (regional finals), Miamisburg (D1), McNick, twice to CJ (state ranked all year) and 3 times to Alter. Not playing and losing to a bunch of chumps.

He’s actually a damn good coach. Ask around the area coaching profession. They will tell you. Wins/losses doesn’t always tell the story.

380 wins is a big deal!
41 years service is a big deal!
Receiving respect earned is a big deal!

Unfortunately, most won't care until it happens to them.

You are a moron plain and simple. I am not a Fenwick lover, but one of the best things they had going for them was Coach Kreke. Class act all the way. Always, always had his kids ready to play. The 15 years I have been watching, kids always played their guts out for him. Won more than lost and kids that played for him are better people because of him. The AD sounds like he is in over his head. Truly feel bad for coach Kreke, maybe those grand kids can go to Badin and put a thorn in the side of the future Fenwick basketball teams. Something tells me that the Fenwick AD will not be around that long.

How many years have people been saying that Fenwick is a "sleeping giant?" It seems their girl's sports are winning at a high level, and Football has had a good run of late. Baseball and Lacrosse are always solid. Both girls and boys soccer have strong traditions. So when do girls and boys basketball finally "wake up?"

The school brings in a principal from Moeller, who might know a thing or two about building and maintaining athletic programs. They hire an AD from the outside with a new perspective. They finally, after three years make some moves in boys basketball, and all the Fenwick lifers lose their collective minds.

Sounds like a school community with a serious identity problem. All I was saying was that Coach Kreke is a good man, and a solid coach. But he's not a great coach. How many years do you wait to make a change? 30 years is a long time.

How many years have people been saying that Fenwick is a "sleeping giant?" It seems their girl's sports are winning at a high level, and Football has had a good run of late. Baseball and Lacrosse are always solid. Both girls and boys soccer have strong traditions. So when do girls and boys basketball finally "wake up?"

The school brings in a principal from Moeller, who might know a thing or two about building and maintaining athletic programs. They hire an AD from the outside with a new perspective. They finally, after three years make some moves in boys basketball, and all the Fenwick lifers lose their collective minds.

Sounds like a school community with a serious identity problem. All I was saying was that Coach Kreke is a good man, and a solid coach. But he's not a great coach. How many years do you wait to make a change? 30 years is a long time.

Um, what sports at Fenwick are good/strong? Football, basketball, and lax are okay/average. Boys volleyball and baseball are solid.

On the girls side, outside of girls volleyball and softball, every other main sports sucks (basketball, running, soccer)

Fenwick does not have a great or many years even a good pool of talent. It's been a landing spot sometimes for those not good enough for the larger GCL schools. I would like someone to name a year where you could say they underachieved with their talent? Unless the "Leadership Scholarships" start there won't be much change for the Catholic school located between in Middletown.

Alright here we go. My rankings for the GCL this year. Love it or hate it, it is my onion.
1. Fenewick
- X Factor : alter transfer terry ferrell probably averages 14.8 ppg
- MVP : aj braun being 6'12 and having a 7'7 wingspan will be unstoppable
- travis dahm is coming back as a fifth year and he brings lots of smoke back to the team if you know what I mean
2. CJ
- Lots of returning players
- MVP: Larry Turner...dudes afro is took big to stop
-- also has super vision because of those goggles (No one knows that)
3. Carroll
- X Factor: Sam Severt... heard that dude went to Power Athlete over the summer and got absolutely jacked
- MVP Jayden Dahm because he is basically Austin Schafer (math wizard and chess club president)
4. Alter
- MVP: Brady Ohl is going to kill it this year again
- X factor: Seth Morris has some size and really will shine this year especially with those 24 karat diamond earrings
- have a tall kid but he has no muscle
-- a 6'9 kid that only shoots threes....yeah that is him
5. McNicholas
- MVP : EvAn BrUnOt
- need more size inside
- their coach has them aggressive on and off the court
6. Purcell Marian
- they lose speed and size this year
- there press no longer works because of this
- do they even have a coach?
7. Roger Bacon
- heard Corey kiner is playing
-- side-note he is doo doo at basketball
- everyone hates them now because they are suing because of competitive balance
8. Badin
- that switzer kid won't get back up when he get's knocked on his ....
- other than that they have nothing
- their coach is overweight and balding

Football has had a good run as of late. HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA that is so funny.

Alright here we go. My rankings for the GCL this year. Love it or hate it, it is my onion.
1. Fenewick
- travis dahm is coming back as a fifth year and he brings lots of smoke back to the team if you know what I mean
2. CJ
3. Carroll
- X Factor: Sam Severt... heard that dude went to Power Athlete over the summer and got absolutely jacked
- MVP Jayden Dahm because he is basically Austin Schafer (math wizard and chess club president)
4. Alter
- X factor: Seth Morris has some size and really will shine this year especially with those 24 karat diamond earrings
5. McNicholas
- need more size inside
6. Purcell Marian
7. Roger Bacon
8. Badin
HATE IT!

Strictly because your lame attempt at humor was just that, but don't take it personal it's my "onion"

1. Fenewick
2. CJ
3. Carroll
4. Alter
5. McNicholas
- need more size inside
6. Purcell Marian
7. Roger Bacon
8. Badin
Here is how I see the league shaking out.

1. Fenwick
- Potential to be one of the best Fenwick teams in the past 10 years or so. Terry Ferrell will have a good shot at MVP. (will come down to him or Uhl from alter.) Really cool watching him progress over the years. Sucks he missed all of last season with a groin injury. Braun provides unteachable size inside the paint.

2. Alter
- The knights return their top players from last year, being Uhl, Stolly, Smith, and Kolb. Also have a young sophomore that is pretty tall and can shoot. I personally could see Morris having a breakout year. I heard he has been working on his left hand a bit. My buddy at Alter says he could be the real deal.

3. CJ
- Nauseef and Turner will terrorize teams in the paint. Their success will rely on the guard play by Menker and Slaybaugh. Ryan O'neil reclassifing to 2020 will add experience to a young team, helping them make a deep run in the playoffs.

4. Carroll
- With one of the best coaches in the area, don't be shock if they end up winning the GCL. Only reason I ranked them 4th is inconsistant play from Severt and Dahm.

5. Purcell Marion
- Will be fast and run their trap press. They lose a lot of talent from last year. Will be a rebuilding year.

6. Roger bacon
- Tre Munson will lead their team. Played mostly sophomores and freshman last year, so look for them to be good in near future.

7. Badin
- Hot head Qb. end of story

8. McNick
- Dont see them having a chance of doing anything. Under .500 team for sure.

"
Overall thoughts.
- GCL will continue to be a hard league to play in/against.
- GCL winner: Fenwick
- League MVP: Terry Ferrel or Brady Uhl
- Coach of the year: Coach Cogan.

HATE IT!

Strictly because your lame attempt at humor was just that, but don't take it personal it's my "onion"
You must be a "newbie" here. That wasn't humor. That is what I think. Sorry, I can't spell opinion I dropped out of school after sophomore year of high school.

You must be a "newbie" here. That wasn't humor. That is what I think. Sorry, I can't spell opinion I dropped out of school after sophomore year of high school.
Actually you can spell opinion. Congrats, you are smarter than a 5th grader.

I have known Coach Kreke for several years and he always did things the right way. In a very classy way.. As far as girls basketball yes it has been a while and for many years Fenwick was in the old MidMiami League when they were division 4 playing Talawanda, Lebanon, Monroe, Franklin,etc. From 1989-1991 Fenwick girls were 45-8. State runner up in 1990 and regional finals in 1991(4 points away from going back to Columbus)

1. Fenewick
2. CJ
3. Carroll
4. Alter
5. McNicholas
- need more size inside
6. Purcell Marian
7. Roger Bacon
8. Badin
AJ Braun is 6'12"??? Thats funny

Somebody mentioned Carroll’s good coach. Do you Carroll supporters ever look at the schedule he plays, or the fact that he never has won a District or GCL title? And, please don’t tell me about his Sectional success. Carroll is in the sorriest DII Sectional in Ohio. There are a lot of boy’s coaches who would dominate in girl’s hoops. The North will come down to Alter or CJ again. Carroll will be no factor as usual, and neither will Fenwick me minus Kreke.

I will agree with you on two things... Coach Cogan plays a weak schedule. Secondly, 3 out of his 6 years his teams have played in the pathetic Springfield Sectional. 2014-Springfield Sectional plays Dunbar in a District final lost 68-47. 2015- Springfield Sectional 2nd round. 2016- Dayton DII Sectional beat Fenwick and Thurgood played Alter District final lost 47-42. 2017- Dayton DII Sectional played Taft in District final lost 52-40. 2018- Moved back to Springfield Sectional and played Hughes in District final lost 57-38. 2019- Bumped up to Divison I Dayton Sectional and lose first round to Sidney 48-35. Andre Gordon scored 30 of the 48 points for Sidney and Sidney was leading by 4 going into 4th quarter. Say what you want I think Coach Cogan is a really good coach. His teams are always prepared and he plays that man 2 man pack line defense to perfection.

I agree with you on the preparation and playing hard stuff, but to be considered a really good coach I think you have to have something to show for it. When scheduling he completely avoids any challenges. I’ve heard that he personally would leave the GCL if he could. Good guy, knows the game, is respected by his players, but big fish little pond mentality.

So many trolls on here coming from Alter kids... Cogan from Carroll is a great coach. He has terrible talent and yet finds a way to win and compete. He has beaten Alter and CJ before. Carroll gave Staley a big loss on his last home game at CJ and then Alter rocked CJ in the tournament by 35. Alter should be the top competitor this year in the league. This by far is the make or break year for Coach Coulter. The Knights return their top 5 scorers and they have a D1 sophomore in Jacob Conner and three D2 players in Uhl, Stolly, and Smith. CJ should be solid once again. Fenwick will be okay. This Terry Ferrell kid from Alter sat the bench as a junior and was an absolutely joke. AJ Braun is one dimensional. McNicholas and Badin have some solid guys back and are well coached. I think Carroll will be awful this year. Purcell Marian has to reload. Roger Bacon was very young last year and Brian Neal is a heck of coach for the Spartans.

It’s doesn’t always translate but if I remember correctly McNick juniors were 21-1 (or thereabouts only loss to Moeller)as Freshmen so I assume there is some talent there.

Not sure if its been mentioned on here---Heard over the weekend that Coach Kreke will be assisting the Badin Rams in 2019-20 (Pat's alma mater)---should be interesting working with Coach Weisgerber and playing Fenwick twice!!

I was talking with a few inner circle Fenwick peeps last night and was told the basketball team was caught having a instructional "open gym" with the AD in attendance :unsure:.... Was also told Bill Edwards Jr. will not be the varsity assistant now, he is looking to play pro ball in Mexico. I guess coach moss hired a new assistant and the new assistant emailed a couple players from Dayton Carroll asking them to come to Fenwick to play. The kid told his coaches about this and Carroll reported it to Fenwick and Fenwick decided to dismiss the newly hired varsity assistant. I guess the assistant that was dismissed was a AAU coach and 8th grade boys basketball coach at Middletown. ???

So many trolls on here coming from Alter kids... Cogan from Carroll is a great coach. He has terrible talent and yet finds a way to win and compete. He has beaten Alter and CJ before. Carroll gave Staley a big loss on his last home game at CJ and then Alter rocked CJ in the tournament by 35. Alter should be the top competitor this year in the league. This by far is the make or break year for Coach Coulter. The Knights return their top 5 scorers and they have a D1 sophomore in Jacob Conner and three D2 players in Uhl, Stolly, and Smith. CJ should be solid once again. Fenwick will be okay. This Terry Ferrell kid from Alter sat the bench as a junior and was an absolutely joke. AJ Braun is one dimensional. McNicholas and Badin have some solid guys back and are well coached. I think Carroll will be awful this year. Purcell Marian has to reload. Roger Bacon was very young last year and Brian Neal is a heck of coach for the Spartans.

Once again, great would suggests Championships at some point. You never get to the next level making it easy for your team. Be the best, play the best.