GCL Co-Ed 2021

chwestbroo

Time to get the thread going. Hopefully another good year in the GCL. Graduating from CJ in a few months so IDK how much info I can provide for them come football time.

My way too early poll:
1) Badin
2) Alter
3) McNick
4) Carroll
5) CJ
6) Fenwick

Basically same as last year. CJ/Carroll could flip I suppose. But I feel confident about the top 3 (at least in some order).

Alter has scheduled Hoban this year who, has won the 3 straight D-2 titles or something like that. This game replaces what usually is a blowout against a DPS school. That should be an exciting game with stars on both sides of the ball. Alter and Badin are heavy favorites to win the league this year.

Crazy to see Fenwick at 6. Hopefully they can get back to where they were a few years back. Good Luck Falcons!

CJ is probably still in rebuild mode, expecting improvement but I only see this team as high as 4th place, maybe 3rd. Losing the OC, DC, and two starters to Northmont complicates things further. No clue about the incoming freshmen class or possible transfers.

Does Alter have any good upcoming Sophomores or Juniors. From watching them last year it seemed to be all Juniors and Seniors playing

Does Alter have any good upcoming Sophomores or Juniors. From watching them last year it seemed to be all Juniors and Seniors playing
The sophomore class is extremely small. I think only 1 had varsity minutes. But they have a good number of kids in their freshmen class. And also a good number of incoming freshmen.

My way too early poll:
1) Badin
2) Alter
3) McNick
4) Carroll
5) CJ
6) Fenwick

Basically same as last year. CJ/Carroll could flip I suppose. But I feel confident about the top 3 (at least in some order).
From my sources McNick will be solid. The current sophomore RB will open some eyes. I don’t have any inside knowledge but looking at the roster and who is returning they could surprise. Also looking forward to going to a game or 2 this Fall. I see they have scheduled Highlands, Ky @home. They have always been a perennial power in the state although I think they’ve slipped a bit recently.

Last edited:
Love seeing. Alter has never dodged tough competition. With playoffs going to 12 teams I expect we'll see more of these type matchups. Helps them prepare for comp they'll likely see in post season.
Hoban graduated the majority of their starters and Alter is returning a lot of really good talent. Maybe we see a huge upset from Alter this year.

It will be intriguing to see how Alters offense looks like this year. New QB, New tail backs. They have all the talent to make this work. But they are young in some areas.

My way too early poll:
1) Badin
2) Alter
3) McNick
4) Carroll
5) CJ
6) Fenwick

I agree with this. Alter will be Alter, but I think Badin will be downright scary. They have a TON of athletes that will be Juniors next year, so I can see their offense being a record breaker.

1620046395522.png

CJ is probably still in rebuild mode, expecting improvement but I only see this team as high as 4th place, maybe 3rd. Losing the OC, DC, and two starters to Northmont complicates things further. No clue about the incoming freshmen class or possible transfers.
Any idea why they left for Northmont?

Alter has scheduled Hoban this year who, has won the 3 straight D-2 titles or something like that. This game replaces what usually is a blowout against a DPS school. That should be an exciting game with stars on both sides of the ball. Alter and Badin are heavy favorites to win the league this year.
I like teams stepping up their schedule.

This is only a handful more than the previous couple of classes. The question is are they any good?
No way to know. Chances are if they have real potential they are going to X or Moeller unless they have some family affiliation with McNick. Coaches son is a Frosh I hear he’s pretty good. As an aside I wasn’t aware they were getting those kind of numbers for Frosh football. I’ve seen many posts about bigger schools not having enough kids for a 9th grade team I assumed it was the same at McNick.

Last edited:
Irwin20 is correct. I know several kids/family in that area. The kids with any talent go to X or Moe, if they choose Catholic. The 2 public HS, Turpin or Anderson, are also great options over McNick. I cannot recall the last time McNick was relevant. McNick has gone from D2 to D3 now to D4. Just for a comparison, Moe has 90 frosh football players this year. And, ironically, they have McNick on their frosh schedule. Obviously an A and B team for Moe, but will be curious to see how that game goes v McNick.

Relevant? Probably 2014. 10-2 second in the Coed. Beat Wyoming, Turpin and Anderson. Lost in the 2nd round to Clinton Massie in a game tied in the 4th Q. Most of their better players on that roster were from Clermont Co.