GCL Co-Ed 2020-21

RB just lost to Carroll 54-44. After the 4-0 league start they have loss 3 out of 4 games with those 3 losses being double digit margins.

Jerry W. Will be missed at Badin. In addition to his State title in 88 Badin went back to the final four in 97 and 98. I could be wrong about this but I think Jerry was the coach in 97. In 98 I think it was Fred Hesse.

Coach Gerbs was the head coach on all three final four runs. Coach Hesse was the freshmen coach throughout Gerrys coaching stint. Coach Hesse took the head coaching job when Gerbs left for the West AD job in 2000.
Hesse went to Moeller as an asst when Nick Argentati took the Ram job which I believe was the 06-7 season.
Coach Weisgerber is a heck of a coach and an even better person.

Now that the season is about over, what our everybody's thoughts on player of year in the league and surprises this year?

Obviously I haven’t seen any of these kids in person but looking at the Coed website looks like Braun is a one man team..30 of 51 pts v. McNick. Seeman, mentioned above, appears to have a lot of help. I’d usually lean toward the “best” player on the best team but never seen any of these kids play. I see Braun is listed 6’10 is that legit? Does he have any offers?

I'd say Braun. Conner from Alter should get some mention. Conner is 1st in assist, 1st in blocks, 2nd in rebounds and 3rd in steals in the league. I haven't seen Alter play this year, but that's pretty darn good.

I'd say Braun or Seemann. Connor is good but had an up and down season against some of the better teams in league. Larkin kid from Badin is very good as well.

Obviously I haven’t seen any of these kids in person but looking at the Coed website looks like Braun is a one man team..30 of 51 pts v. McNick. Seeman, mentioned above, appears to have a lot of help. I’d usually lean toward the “best” player on the best team but never seen any of these kids play. I see Braun is listed 6’10 is that legit? Does he have any offers?
Committed to Wright State.

watched Fenwick vs Mcnick tonight. first of all great game, two teams that are very good. Braun is a beast and Seemann does pretty much everything. McNick has a lot around seemann but he defends, rebounds and scores.

Looks like Alter is getting hot just at the right time. As the bracket came out yesterday. Looks like Alter got the 4th seed in their region. And will end of playing CJ in 2 rounds for third time this season

Nice comeback win for Bacon over McNick. If the Rockets lose to Carroll could there be a tie for the Coed title?

I wonder if the administration and parents from Fenwick can now see how hard it is to win consistently in this league? That group ran a very good coach/man out of there for the present one and I know nothing about Coach Moss so it's not about him. They sit at 9-7, 6-5 after going 14-11, 7-7 in 2020. Have a 6-10 DI signee, arguably the best player in the league, on their roster. Just curious if anyone associated understands maybe it wasn't the coaching staff.

I wonder if the administration and parents from Fenwick can now see how hard it is to win consistently in this league? That group ran a very good coach/man out of there for the present one and I know nothing about Coach Moss so it's not about him. They sit at 9-7, 6-5 after going 14-11, 7-7 in 2020. Have a 6-10 DI signee, arguably the best player in the league, on their roster. Just curious if anyone associated understands maybe it wasn't the coaching staff.
The GCL is one of the toughest leagues in the state. Great talent, great players, good tradition.

The GCL is one of the toughest leagues in the state. Great talent, great players, good tradition.

Bacon and Purcell gone after this year. Guessing Mcnick will follow and leave soon as well. Doesn’t make much sense for them to drive over an hour for every league game.

Anybody else think the league is very similar to the Big Ten this year? A ton of good teams that all of potential of making a run in the post-season that can beat each other on any given night. I know that's true most years but this year in particular. There seems to be no clear cut favorite.

Anybody else think the league is very similar to the Big Ten this year? A ton of good teams that all of potential of making a run in the post-season that can beat each other on any given night. I know that's true most years but this year in particular. There seems to be no clear cut favorite.
**Purcell leaves the chat (and the league)**

I'm not sure any league schools will miss Purcell. They are only competitive in basketball. Roger Bacon has been pretty good in baseball recently and have had good girls atheltics for a while. I hope McNick stays but I can see the reasons for leaving. What league would take them in if they did leave? They were easily the all sports champs for many years when there was a GCL North and Central.

I'm not sure any league schools will miss Purcell. They are only competitive in basketball. Roger Bacon has been pretty good in baseball recently and have had good girls atheltics for a while. I hope McNick stays but I can see the reasons for leaving. What league would take them in if they did leave? They were easily the all sports champs for many years when there was a GCL North and Central.

Rumor is they eventually join MVC. I would assume MVC would them put Bacon, Purcell, McNick, Summit, CHCA, etc... in a division together.

Rumor is they eventually join MVC. I would assume MVC would them put Bacon, Purcell, McNick, Summit, CHCA, etc... in a division together.
That is the most likely league. Honestly although I’m not as close to the goings on at McNick since my kids have graduated I have friends who are and I haven’t heard much discussion about leaving. If they stay they probably have the longest road trips for league games of any HS in the state.

There is a sound reason for the Cincy schools to reformat ,then cherry pick games and sports to play against the GCL North schools. Don't see much value in Purcell as a stand alone school at this point. It offers little that Christo Rey, Summit and/or Bacon can't pick up.. The Dayton area schools can strengthen their ooc game schedules by doing the same vs the Columbus parochials, particularly in hoops and football

All the reasoning to them leaving is pretty clear cut and understandable from a logistics standpoint. Just don't understand why all of a sudden it's a problem after all these years. Personally, I never really minded the bus rides down to Cincinnati as a player. You knew you were in for a dog fight every night, even if you were playing one of the bottom teams in the league. I always thought those games helped you in the long run in the post season. You're not going to get that in the MVC.

This league has to be one of the best. I hope McNick stays but as everyone has said, logistically it doesn't make much sense. They could join the ECC with turpin, walnut hills and those teams. I wouldn't want to play any of these teams in the tourney. They are all dangerous.

It’s been a great League. I heard Neal from Bacon drove this issue because of the competition. Funny when they were really talented the competition didn’t seem to bother him. Very disappointing if true.

The administration and parents won’t see how pathetic Fenwick has become or one of them would stand up and say something about all the crap that goes on that embarrasses many others in the Fenwick family. Since Kreke was fired ( just 2 short years) Fenwick has:
1. Fired a coach for illegally recruiting a Carroll player. Same coach now back hanging out with team. Fenwick didn’t self report this issue as they should have, but waited for Carroll to report them.
2.Were caught practicing during dead period. Self reported this one but lied about volume of practices and how it happened.
3. Continued to practice during no-contact days but did so off school grounds at Solid Rock church
4. Ignored ODH rules and practiced during their Covid quarantine. Again at Solid Rock.
5. With no fans in gym the language coming from the Fenwick bench is easily heard and is so filthy several announcers have apologized for it during live streams.

New coaching staff was supposed to be “transformational” but I don’t see more minorities in the program and I don’t see them changing the style of play which were the 2 things the AD used to define transformational.Look at scores of their games and they aren’t lighting up the scoreboard. In fact they walk it down and play more zone than ever seen at Fenwick. They don’t win close games so that is either poor coaching or lack of a clutch player down the stretch or both. But good coaching would have developed that go to guy by now.
Looking back - I guess the administration got a transformation - they just didn’t expect it to be transformed into a heaping pile of s***