GCL Basketball 2019/2020

You missed my entire point . . . Local Sports Fan was saying that Elder can't compete with Moeller. I was pointing out that the Elder kids that are juniors have played and consistently beat the "stars" that are on Moeller varsity. Elder kids are just tougher ...

Moeller has won 49 straight with back-to-back titles. 3 sophs played a big role in their title last year, but Elders kids are tougher? Like JElder said, what a ridiculous statement.

Obviously you have never played against an Elder kid . . . I have 3 boys all went to Moeller and all said that they have never seen tougher kids than at Elder. Doesn't mean they are better just tougher.

Obviously you have never played against an Elder kid . . . I have 3 boys all went to Moeller and all said that they have never seen tougher kids than at Elder. Doesn't mean they are better just tougher.

Obviously, your 3 boys have concluded Elder kids are tougher. I guess that makes if gospel!

Just as a genuine question for Elder fans... Why on earth schedule Huntington prep? There’s nothing to gain other than a 40 point loss. They barely even count as a high school team.

Just as a genuine question for Elder fans... Why on earth schedule Huntington prep? There’s nothing to gain other than a 40 point loss. They barely even count as a high school team.

Reason: Fundraiser for former Elder player Ryan Custer--Cov. Cath, Oak Hills, Elder and Cooper playing National teams, so likely four L's by local teams, but for a great cause at a wonderful venue!!

The first two games of the classic will be Oak Hill Academy of Virginia vs. Covington Catholic at noon and Legacy Charter of South Carolina vs. Cincinnati Oak Hills at 2:15 p.m.
The final two games will be Huntington Prep of West Virginia vs. Cincinnati Elder at 4:30 p.m. and La Lumiere of Indiana vs. Cooper at 6:45 p.m.

Net proceeds from the four games will go to the Ryan Custer Foundation.

More: Critically injured Elder grad, ex-Wright State hoops player 2 years later: 'Nothing is impossible'

Custer played basketball at Elder High School and received a scholarship to Wright State University. After completing his freshman year in college, however, he shattered his C5 vertabrae in an accident and is now paralyzed with limited mobility.

Custer is now learning to drive in a specially equipped vehicle. His family is raising money to finance a vehicle of his own.

Reason: Fundraiser for former Elder player Ryan Custer--Cov. Cath, Oak Hills, Elder and Cooper playing National teams, so likely four L's by local teams, but for a great cause at a wonderful venue!!

This is not the reason Elder scheduled the game. Elder agreed to it before they decided to use it as a fundraiser for Custer.

Why not play the game? Who cares if/when Elder loses by 40. It's an opportunity to make a lasting memory (positive or negative).

When these Elder coaches and players think back on this this basketball season many many years from now, this will be one of the games that will stand out and be talked about. It will be remembered for who they played against (future possible NBA players) and what happened. They will laugh about getting dunked on, crossed over, etc.

Im not in favor of more than a couple of these per year, but in a season filled with 20+ games, this is among the few non-conference games that stand out. Elder may finish 13-7 with this game or 14-6 without this game. Either way, I see few negatives.

Why not play the game? Who cares if/when Elder loses by 40. It's an opportunity to make a lasting memory (positive or negative).

When these Elder coaches and players think back on this this basketball season many many years from now, this will be one of the games that will stand out and be talked about. It will be remembered for who they played against (future possible NBA players) and what happened. They will laugh about getting dunked on, crossed over, etc.

Im not in favor of more than a couple of these per year, but in a season filled with 20+ games, this is among the few non-conference games that stand out. Elder may finish 13-7 with this game or 14-6 without this game. Either way, I see few negatives.

I agree.

Also, Elder should have a very good team this year. Why not test them? No one expects them to win, so what's there to lose?

Keeping this game competitive or scaring them (or gasp, even winning), would be a huge confidence builder for a team that could potentially have state aspirations over the next few years.

Elder likely doesn't win, but I think they will surprise some people with how competitive the game is. And if not, oh well, you lost to a top 10 team.

I guarantee you the players can't wait for this game.

Last edited:
Moeller has won 49 straight with back-to-back titles. 3 sophs played a big role in their title last year, but Elders kids are tougher? Like JElder said, what a ridiculous statement.
Read Jay Bilas's book "Toughness" to see that Moeller is pretty tough. True toughness and it has produced a few State championships.

Moeller is in a different world than most high schools in Ohio in regards to basketball. Keep it up and it will be one of the reason privates will be separated from publics

I mean Moeller has always been a dominate force in ohio for hoops, but nothing like the last 2-3 years. Its not hard to see that those same 2-3 years parallel Kramers time as Principal. Its not just a coincidence. To answer the northwest transfer question yes thats Evan Mahaffey, he will sit second half of season. He was offered by Miami because his dad played there. Has potential to be but not quite a D1 player yet.

Next season will be when Moe needs to play as much of a National type schedule as they can. They will have 4 D1 starters back plus whatever they have coming up through the pipeline.

I mean Moeller has always been a dominate force in ohio for hoops, but nothing like the last 2-3 years. Its not hard to see that those same 2-3 years parallel Kramers time as Principal. Its not just a coincidence. To answer the northwest transfer question yes thats Evan Mahaffey, he will sit second half of season. He was offered by Miami because his dad played there. Has potential to be but not quite a D1 player yet.

So what are you specifically trying to say that is not coincidence?

From OHSAA . . . Q6. Is it permissible to visit a school in contemplation of enrollment, and what can be done once a student is on campus? A6. Bylaw 4-9-5 does permit a student-athlete and his family to visit a school prior to enrollment provided arrangements for the visit are made through the principal of the school or another school administrator designated by that school’s Board of Education or other governing board. While visiting on campus it is permissible, if cleared with the principal, to meet members of the athletic department staff who might be available to answer questions about the athletics program.

First contact with school is not supposed to be with coach unless of course you make the coach the principal . . . All the promises are made in one meeting and kids and parents don't have to pretend why they are there like they would with a non-coach principal.

That's why the answer is never more rules. There has been, is, and always will be ways around them.

Who is anyone to say that a kid can't go to School X for sports? That shouldn't be anyone's decision but the families. Rules aren't going to stop families from making sports related decisions in high school. In some cases, sports ARE the most important thing going on for some kids. You can learn just as much through sports as in the classroom.

You may not agree with it, but it's not your life.

From OHSAA . . . Q6. Is it permissible to visit a school in contemplation of enrollment, and what can be done once a student is on campus? A6. Bylaw 4-9-5 does permit a student-athlete and his family to visit a school prior to enrollment provided arrangements for the visit are made through the principal of the school or another school administrator designated by that school’s Board of Education or other governing board. While visiting on campus it is permissible, if cleared with the principal, to meet members of the athletic department staff who might be available to answer questions about the athletics program.

First contact with school is not supposed to be with coach unless of course you make the coach the principal . . . All the promises are made in one meeting and kids and parents don't have to pretend why they are there like they would with a non-coach principal.

Your imagination runs wild Gopher. You have a hard on for Moeller. Let me guess, you think one of your 3 boys got hosed at Moe? No where to go but on these boards (including Moeller's) to spout your negativity. Who specifically are you referring to that coach made all these arrangements to meet?

The first two games of the classic will be Oak Hill Academy of Virginia vs. Covington Catholic at noon and Legacy Charter of South Carolina vs. Cincinnati Oak Hills at 2:15 p.m.
The final two games will be Huntington Prep of West Virginia vs. Cincinnati Elder at 4:30 p.m. and La Lumiere of Indiana vs. Cooper at 6:45 p.m.

Net proceeds from the four games will go to the Ryan Custer Foundation.

More: Critically injured Elder grad, ex-Wright State hoops player 2 years later: 'Nothing is impossible'

Custer played basketball at Elder High School and received a scholarship to Wright State University. After completing his freshman year in college, however, he shattered his C5 vertabrae in an accident and is now paralyzed with limited mobility.

Custer is now learning to drive in a specially equipped vehicle. His family is raising money to finance a vehicle of his own.

This sounds like a great event for a wonderful cause and prayers will go out for Custer. The big name teams coming in reminds me of the Blue Chip classic in which stud teams from all over the country came in and played Cincinnati teams. This event was back in the 1980s and teams such as Mater Dei, Tolentine (Bronx, NY), Miami Senior High, Manual (Peoria, Illinois), Oak Hill Academy (VA), and Zion Christian Academy (NC) came in to play. Tracy McGrady played for Zion Christian and I believe they beat X by about 15 or 20. It was interesting to see a future NBA star out there. I also remember Manual who had incredible athletes beat a Moeller team handily when Ragland was the Moeller coach. Oak Hills upset Miami Senior High but most of the time these out of town teams were just too good. Some of the games were competitive though. Anyone else remember the Blue Chip Classic from the 1980s?

Your imagination runs wild Gopher. You have a hard on for Moeller. Let me guess, you think one of your 3 boys got hosed at Moe? No where to go but on these boards (including Moeller's) to spout your negativity. Who specifically are you referring to that coach made all these arrangements to meet?
The only coach that lies more than Kremer is Babe at VASJ

I love people that care about freshman and JV records. Any coach worth anything doesn't really care about the records of those teams. What they care about is the development of the program and the players in order to win at the varsity level. If that means you move you better upperclassmen up to JV or Varsity for growth and experience then it needs to happen. Stacking your teams at freshman and JV in order to win doesn't accomplish that. Makes parents feel good about themselves maybe.

It does have an effect on their confidence. Of course, development matters most, but you do get some feeling that “we know we can beat them.”

The only coach that lies more than Kremer is Babe at VASJ
Kremer does not lie- people just don’t want to hear the truth about their own kids. He is very straightforward about how competitive the program is, parents just don’t think it will be their kid left on the bench.

Last edited:
Kremer does not lie- people just don’t want to hear the truth about their own kids. He is very straightforward about how competitive the program is, parents just don’t think it will be their kid left on the bench.
Couldn't be more wrong ... he makes promises to kids he never intends to keep. That is called lying. Rather then tell the truth and let kids transfer to play at another school he promises playing time to keep them enrolled and tuition dollars coming in. Kids finally figuring out how dishonest the coaching staff is . . . look at all the transfers from last years team.

Couldn't be more wrong ... he makes promises to kids he never intends to keep. That is called lying. Rather then tell the truth and let kids transfer to play at another school he promises playing time to keep them enrolled and tuition dollars coming in. Kids finally figuring out how dishonest the coaching staff is . . . look at all the transfers from last years team.

And yet none of the transfers were starters. They transferred because they were never going to get meaningful minutes at Moe. Especially with 4 of their starters Jrs.

And yet none of the transfers were starters. They transferred because they were never going to get meaningful minutes at Moe. Especially with 4 of their starters Jrs.
You are correct but all were told they would get meaningful minutes . . . I'm merely pointing out that Kremer is not the saint that everyone thinks he is. He is not honest with kids. Just man up and tell the truth early on rather than making promises. This has been going on for years. He's a used car salesman.

You are correct but all were told they would get meaningful minutes . . . I'm merely pointing out that Kremer is not the saint that everyone thinks he is. He is not honest with kids. Just man up and tell the truth early on rather than making promises. This has been going on for years. He's a used car salesman.

When I was in high school it would be really easy for me to see that 5 kids with D1 scholly offers were probably going to get the majority of the playing time. I certainly didn't need to have a conversation with the coach about it. I'm happy for the kids who transferred so they can play the game they love. Self awareness is a good thing.