GCL Basketball 2019/2020

OldSchoolPanther

Is this the year someone gives Moeller a run in GCL? Elder will be much improved as they have 3 solid classes that will contribute on varsity this year and St X had a very good JV team last year.

Moeller lost alot. Have they re-loaded? I know they still have some studs in the program but it seems they might be vulnerable this year.

Last edited:

LaSalle is also going to be much improved if they play anything like they did in the summer. Moeller has 4 kids with D1 offers they are the class of the league again.

LaSalle is also going to be much improved if they play anything like they did in the summer. Moeller has 4 kids with D1 offers they are the class of the league again.

I believe Moeller has 5 kids with D1 offers. Duncomb, Williams, Land, McCracken, and Noyes.

And no player is ever academically ineligible . . .

Well it's Moeller HS, not some dump district... I believe most, if not all, the GCL schools cap a limit of one or two Fs before your ineligble so it's not that hard to stay focused and study.

You don't get to the one or two F's when you have the principal / head coach telling teachers to create "group projects" in order to get players eligible.

6 players with Div 1 scholarships on one high school team is incredible. Especially when you consider the talent they lost the past two years. In all seriousness, it's really impressive and no wonder why players go out of their way to play at Moe.

I predict Elder beats Moe at least once this year. Probably won't win GCL, but will give them a scare. GCL should be very competitive this year.

And let's not go down the "Moe is cheating" route. It's old and tired.

E has a chance to compete with the big boys for the next few years, let's enjoy that instead of whining about Moeller.

Moeller will dominate the state and it will not be close. Should not be playing in the state but instead doing something like Iggy's is doing with their hockey team.

I predict Elder beats Moe at least once this year. Probably won't win GCL, but will give them a scare. GCL should be very competitive this year.

And let's not go down the "Moe is cheating" route. It's old and tired.

E has a chance to compete with the big boys for the next few years, let's enjoy that instead of whining about Moeller.

Tell us exactly who Elder is going to run out there to compete and beat Moeller, 3 guys off the football team? I have no doubt they will be better, but 6 D1 offers ( 4 Jr's and 1 Soph have 5 of them) players and a Hall of Fame Coach continue to be a force in 2019-20.

Tell us exactly who Elder is going to run out there to compete and beat Moeller, 3 guys off the football team? I have no doubt they will be better, but 6 D1 offers ( 4 Jr's and 1 Soph have 5 of them) players and a Hall of Fame Coach continue to be a force in 2019-20.

They don't have any one player who will get a D1 scholarship, but they will be very deep (assuming they bring up some sophomores). They have alot of very good players across multiple classes this year.

I'm not saying they're a better team, but I think they will definitely compete with them. I guess we'll see what happens.

Last edited:
Didn't the Elder Junior class beat Moeller their freshman team year and 2x JV team year?

You also dont have transfers being ruled ineligible by the OHSAA when you have the principal of the school manufacturing loopholes.

I believe the kid who transferred from Northwest has to sit the last 11 games this year. This is what I have heard anyway.

Not sure does it even matter if they beat the freshman and/or JV team. How many of the starters this year were even on the freshman team for Moe?
Elder beat the 2021 class at the Pit their freshman year . . . Williams, Duncomb, Noyes and McCracken all played for the Moe Freshmen team that got beat . . . Not sure it matters but Elder has their number.

Elder beat the 2021 class at the Pit their freshman year . . . Williams, Duncomb, Noyes and McCracken all played for the Moe Freshmen team that got beat . . . Not sure it matters but Elder has their number.
Interesting to note, but I'll take the Moe Juniors (plus Seniors, any talented underclassmen and coaching staff) after another year in the Moe program over the Elder varsity. That said, GCL is always tough, and Elder teams play hard-nosed in every sport.

Not sure does it even matter if they beat the freshman and/or JV team. How many of the starters this year were even on the freshman team for Moe?

I love people that care about freshman and JV records. Any coach worth anything doesn't really care about the records of those teams. What they care about is the development of the program and the players in order to win at the varsity level. If that means you move you better upperclassmen up to JV or Varsity for growth and experience then it needs to happen. Stacking your teams at freshman and JV in order to win doesn't accomplish that. Makes parents feel good about themselves maybe.

Last edited:
I love people that care about freshman and JV records. Any coach worth anything doesn't really care about the records of those teams. What they care about is the development of the program and the players in order to win at the varsity level. If that means you move you better upperclassmen up to JV or Varsity for growth and experience then it needs to happen. Stacking your teams at freshman and JV in order to win doesn't accomplish that. Makes parents feel good about themselves maybe.
You missed my entire point . . . Local Sports Fan was saying that Elder can't compete with Moeller. I was pointing out that the Elder kids that are juniors have played and consistently beat the "stars" that are on Moeller varsity. Elder kids are just tougher ...

You missed my entire point . . . Local Sports Fan was saying that Elder can't compete with Moeller. I was pointing out that the Elder kids that are juniors have played and consistently beat the "stars" that are on Moeller varsity. Elder kids are just tougher ...

This is a ridiculous statement...

"local sports fan was saying that elder can't compete with Moeller"

Technically I said, does it really matter if you beat Moe as freshman or sophomores. And, frankly it doesn't.

I would imagine some of the players on this year's Moe Varsity who will contribute (additional transfers, younger players, the 2020 class) weren't even on those Freshman, JV Teams that Elder beat.

I have no dog in the GCL fight but from what I have seen everyone is fighting for 2nd place and Elder may want to worry about Lasalle first!

Upsets happen I get that......... Let's play some Hoops!