Gastro Fetishes

Belly35

We all have strange gastro fetishes, those unlikely foods and or combination of foods that you enjoy and others hard pass.

Ohio State Games watching in the comfort of my couch with a Cold Beer ……Ritz Crackers, Herring pickled in onion/wine sauce. This is a must gastro fetish

I almost always put a pinch of salt in my coffee. Never fails to get a reaction from folks.

Picked up the habit from one of the Tom Clancy novels, supposedly something they do in the Navy? But it makes a sense. Just a few grains, it neutralizes the bitterness and allows me to enjoy the coffee flavor itself. Any more than that, and you can taste it - yuck.

I almost always put a pinch of salt in my coffee. Never fails to get a reaction from folks.

Picked up the habit from one of the Tom Clancy novels, supposedly something they do in the Navy? But it makes a sense. Just a few grains, it neutralizes the bitterness and allows me to enjoy the coffee flavor itself. Any more than that, and you can taste it - yuck.

With the old type Mr. Coffee I would always put a pinch or more of salt when making a pot... does take out the bitterness of coffee and bring out the coffee flavor more... can not do with K Cups so I to add less than a pinch to my cup... old habit

We all have strange gastro fetishes, those unlikely foods and or combination of foods that you enjoy and others hard pass.

Ohio State Games watching in the comfort of my couch with a Cold Beer ……Ritz Crackers, Herring pickled in onion/wine sauce. This is a must gastro fetish

Are you Norwegian ?

View attachment 3288

Nothing strange.
Put peanut butter on my burgers before it became a thing. My family tends to move to the other side of the room. ?
Were hot dog sandwiches a thing or is that just some family thing I learned? Split the dogs, mayo and ballreich's on toasted bread. Or bologna. Mayo had to be on both slices and the chips between two slices of bologna or it wasn't food.

Coleslaw on burgers or roast beef sandwiches. I ate many a Swiss King when I worked at Arby's. Roast beef, swiss cheese, and coleslaw - loved that flavor combo. Came across a place called Graffiti Burger ten or twelve years ago that put coleslaw on all their sandwiches. They were great, but the chain folded not long after.

Some things that I never thought were too weird, but some people might find a little strange:

Peanut butter on celery. Peanut butter on apples.
Horseradish on sausage or ham. Actually, horseradish on anything disgusts some people.
Cole slaw on hamburgers.
Fritos in chili.
Green olives in salads.
Malt vinegar in bean soup.
Sauerkraut. Period.

EDIT: Zunardo beat me to coleslaw on burgers!

Salt on Watermelon / salt on Granny Smith apples
(potato chips or popcorn) with (chocolate cover raisins or M&Ms)
Peanut butter on hot Waffle
Green grapes with sour cream & brown sugar (mixed until the sour cream is a light tan color

:>---

EGA

Some things that I never thought were too weird, but some people might find a little strange:

Horseradish on sausage or ham. Actually, horseradish on anything disgusts some people.
Cole slaw on hamburgers.
Fritos in chili.
Green olives in salads.
Sauerkraut. Period.

All good stuff.

Never had the PB on a burger. Love slaw on one though.

I put Vinegar on many things but get weird looks sometimes when applying to French Fries.

View attachment 3288
I love that stuff.

Also, fresh cherry tomato, jalapeno, cheese on a Ritz.
Lemon salt on fresh cucumbers.

Cole slaw on hamburgers.
Fritos in chili.
Green olives in salads.
Sauerkraut. Period.

Like all of those except the vinegar n bean soup. Just don't eat bean soup very often.

I salt and pepper musk melon.

Sardines packed in mustard!!!

Fresh Beet ( boiled for a hour, peeled and cut into a 1/4 slice) hot or cold does not matter on a Grilled Hamburger

I had this served in Australia love it...

Toast and chocolate milk for breakfast. Toast needs to be buttered. Folded in half. Dip into your glass of chocolate milk (has to be Nestle's Quik). Let it soak, but not too long or the toast will break off and fall into the glass. Boys and I have this about once per month, and something I used to have with my dad. Two of my boys have eaten their age in toast (one is 22 and the other is 17). And it seems to be a male tradition as none of the female family members will even try it.

Toast and chocolate milk for breakfast. Toast needs to be buttered. Folded in half. Dip into your glass of chocolate milk (has to be Nestle's Quik). Let it soak, but not too long or the toast will break off and fall into the glass. Boys and I have this about once per month, and something I used to have with my dad. Two of my boys have eaten their age in toast (one is 22 and the other is 17). And it seems to be a male tradition as none of the female family members will even try it.
the art of dipping ... still lives... thank you mcm.1019

My grandpa had a thing for peanut butter and onion sandwiches.

My mom likes to spread butter on her graham crackers.

If eating pasta at home, I like a very stripped down tomato sauce (just garlic powder and oregano to season) with 2 or 3 slices of Kraft singles melted in it to thicken it.

Cole slaw on hamburgers.
Fritos in chili.
Green olives in salads.
Sauerkraut. Period.

To paraphrase Peyton, "Have you been reading my recipe book?"

If I have cake or pie at home, I must have it in a bowl with milk poured on it. Especially devil's food cake with chocolate icing. I started doing that in high school with a fantastic apple crumb pie my mom made.

Probably stems from visiting my WV grandparents at their mountain home when I was little. Grandma always had a pan of blackberry cobbler around, and she would put some in a bowl and pour evaporated milk on it for me. Talk about heaven on earth.

Last edited: