Gas Prices

There are lots of problems. Right now, solar and wind is about 5% of our total electricity. It works great for the Amish - who have very low needs. It can work for agri-business in certain situations. A lot of our business is remote cabins that are too far from grid access and doomsday preppers.

But powering a modern home or business exclusively? It can be done but the amount of panels and the battery storage (and cost) is massive - and they still need back up.

I think the best way to think about it is that it is a neat little supplement and is great for some applications with lower electricity demands.

Right now the return on solar investment is about 15 years. It depends on which state you are in and what credits you are eligible for.
There are a ton of people in this country that are downsizing, full time RV living, boat living etc. there are solar applications that will work quite well for these people and already are working. Is it unlimited? Of course not, but the way we live in this country is changing and I refuse to rely on an energy grid that is old and crumbling. I have six acres in a secluded area of SC that I’m putting a fifth wheel on, my energy consumption will be very low. Well water and a septic system will get me totally off the grid. Should all be done in 1-2 years and if the grid doesn’t crash, my kids and grandkids will have a cool place to camp ??

So you are a climate denier. May I ask what your credentials are currently or what is your source of information you use?
I am not and never have been a "climate denier". I fully accept that the climate exists. Who doesn't? I also accept the obvious fact that climate naturally changes in ways that we only partially understand.

What I deny is that the burning of fossil fuels is changing the global climate in a significant or dangerous way.

See the "Global Warming" thread for all sorts of scientific evidence that the theory of human caused Global Warming has not been proven in any meaningful way.

There are a ton of people in this country that are downsizing, full time RV living, boat living etc. there are solar applications that will work quite well for these people and already are working. Is it unlimited? Of course not, but the way we live in this country is changing and I refuse to rely on an energy grid that is old and crumbling. I have six acres in a secluded area of SC that I’m putting a fifth wheel on, my energy consumption will be very low. Well water and a septic system will get me totally off the grid. Should all be done in 1-2 years and if the grid doesn’t crash, my kids and grandkids will have a cool place to camp ??
It would be great to have non-fossil fuel, reliable, sufficient energy. We just aren't there.

The compromise answer is more nuclear power plants - but the Left won't hear of it. The facts are that these plants have generated massive amounts of electricity for decades with a very low catastrophic failure rate. With proper construction and supervision, they can be maintained safely.

I respect the simple life. I grew up that way to a degree in the woods of Kentucky, and I live around 40,000 Amish who live very simply. But I don't think most Americans are attracted to it. People like their AC, convenient appliances, etc. My observation is the vast majority of people will live simply if they are forced to but will not choose to do it. FWIW

But I get your desire to get off the grid and be more independent. We need a Make the Electrical Grid Great Again movement. Lol.

It would be great to have non-fossil fuel, reliable, sufficient energy. We just aren't there.

The compromise answer is more nuclear power plants - but the Left won't hear of it. The facts are that these plants have generated massive amounts of electricity for decades with a very low catastrophic failure rate. With proper construction and supervision, they can be maintained safely.

I respect the simple life. I grew up that way to a degree in the woods of Kentucky, and I live around 40,000 Amish who live very simply. But I don't think most Americans are attracted to it. People like their AC, convenient appliances, etc. My observation is the vast majority of people will live simply if they are forced to but will not choose to do it. FWIW

But I get your desire to get off the grid and be more independent. We need a Make the Electrical Grid Great Again movement. Lol.
Totally agree, but the “simple” life may be thrust upon us, don’t underestimate humans ability to fulk things up

So you are a climate denier. May I ask what your credentials are currently or what is your source of information you use?

No one denies our average surface temperature has risen a couple degrees Celius in the last 100 years.

It's interesting at least half of that rise was before 1950, prior to all this "unprecedented" increase in atmospheric CO2.

Your problem is you cling to AGW as settled science, when in reality it's just a working theory.

Most folks with a brain see it as merely cyclical. You should too.

1978, the Mini Ice Age. I lived thru that lie. Pollution was causing the earth to enter ice age.
Yep! Most of the younguns on this site don’t recall that in the mid-70s, Team Science was scaring us all into believing the pollution, smog and “excess CO2” would repel the sun’s energy back into space and we were entering an ice age unless we did something about it.

There are lots of problems. Right now, solar and wind is about 5% of our total electricity. It works great for the Amish - who have very low needs. It can work for agri-business in certain situations. A lot of our business is remote cabins that are too far from grid access and doomsday preppers.

But powering a modern home or business exclusively? It can be done but the amount of panels and the battery storage (and cost) is massive - and they still need back up.

I think the best way to think about it is that it is a neat little supplement and is great for some applications with lower electricity demands.

Right now the return on solar investment is about 15 years. It depends on which state you are in and what credits you are eligible for.
I remember taking part in studies at BG looking at solar and the ROI. Seems to me it was in the 15-20 year range. Everyone was giddy that with time and future technology discoveries, it would be reduced to half that time in a few short years.
Not so much, eh?!

Yep! Most of the younguns on this site don’t recall that in the mid-70s, Team Science was scaring us all into believing the pollution, smog and “excess CO2” would repel the sun’s energy back into space and we were entering an ice age unless we did something about it.
I remember being scared to death.

See the "Global Warming" thread for all sorts of scientific evidence that the theory of human caused Global Warming has not been proven in any meaningful way.
It's easier to just lie about it.

Another day, another subject, another lie. That's how people like him operate.

Looks like Biden is going to attempt to have the gas tax suspended. He’s also going to urge governors to do the same.

I suspect this attempt at robbing Peter to pay Paul will backfire. Lowering prices will cause more demand on a tight supply which will drive prices up not down mid term.

Last edited:
The leaps and bounds that renewable energy is making are impressive. There’s going to be a lot of pain on the way but the transition is worth it imo.

A large part of the resistance to the change comes from those who won’t be around to see the long term benefits. Why should they sacrifice for something they won’t benefit from? I get that mentality frequently.
It's unnecessary pain. The fools on the left want to leave fossil fuels NOW and leave us at the mercy of "renewables" ...because the world is going to end tomorrow or something.

Green isn't close to handling our energy needs efficiently or cost effectively.

Germany is firing its coal plants back up because of the unexpected shift away from Russian gas. It has nothing to do with the failure or success of renewable energy.
So they need an alternative fossil fuel to replace another fossil fuel ?

For example? What the hell are you babbling about specifically that was predicted and didn’t come true in the last 50 years? Average temperature has increased as predicted. Weather patterns including more and more intense hurricanes, hundred year floods, growing seasons have all been impacted greatly. Every single time I ask one of you for just one creditable source to cite you deflect with BS replies. That is all you people can do.

I will show some of my work.

50 years ago they were calling for an ice age ?

Then it was the planet is going to overheat, dry up the oceans and create a desert wasteland.

Then it became the nebulous catch all of climate change.

The climate has changed as long as the planet has existed. It's silly to believe it won't continue to do so. You can't stop it. Adapt or die as always.

A ton of people ?

House prices are sky high because there's no demand...got it.

Looks like Biden is going to attempt to have the gas tax suspended. He’s also going to urge governors to do the same.

I suspect this attempt at robbing Peter to pay Paul will backfire. Lowering prices will cause more demand on a tight supply which will drive prices up not down mid term.
So the infrastructure president is going to gut the tax that pays for infrastructure. ?

So the infrastructure president is going to gut the tax that pays for infrastructure. ?
Well, he did get his trillion+ for "infrastructure" last year when creating money out of thin air was all the rage. Are there any consequences to spending trillions that simply don't exist?

Mutually assured destruction will happen before the next ice/warming kills everyone off. With Biden/Harris at the helm I would worry about M.A.D.
If true, we are better off without the Orange idiot alienating all of our allies. WWW III on our own would not be good ending for America.

Tax holiday is coming, should save about a buck a gallon.

“Already, the United States produced more oil under the first year of this Administration than it did under the first two years of the prior Administration, and is on track to set new records next year. At the same time, the President understands that our efforts to increase energy production in the near-term must be coupled with medium- and long-term efforts to transition our economy away from fossil fuels produced by autocrats and to clean energy.”

If true, we are better off without the Orange idiot alienating all of our allies. WWW III on our own would not be good ending for America.
Alienating our allies...by making them live up to their commitment.

I bet your family and friends love taking advantage of you.

Well, he did get his trillion+ for "infrastructure" last year when creating money out of thin air was all the rage. Are there any consequences to spending trillions that simply don't exist?
Inflation.jpg

I remember taking part in studies at BG looking at solar and the ROI. Seems to me it was in the 15-20 year range. Everyone was giddy that with time and future technology discoveries, it would be reduced to half that time in a few short years.
Not so much, eh?!
The Left has consistently over-promised and under-delivered on the promise of it.

Former tobacco farms in NC are being converted to solar farm as I type...

That's going to be a beautiful sight to see on those rolling hills.

I've seen them. When the blackouts begin this summer on a scale larger than ever, maybe some people will wake up. It is hard to believe so many people make decisions based on emotion as opposed to rational thought.

As I write this, Germany is beginning to fire coal plants back up.

False. He actually brought them together to step up their contributions and take more ownership in the treaty; a win for all.

Stop believing the legacy media lies; you'll end up far better educated and a better person.