Gary out at OSU!

lovinlife

Looks like the rumors were true, as Beathea announces the new recruits for 2013. Gary's photo no longer on the web site!:confused:

The problem with the Buckeyes hasn't been so much with coaching, but the lack of an administration that has a coherent, well laid-out plan as to how to raise the profile of easily one of the most historic programs in the nation. The athletic department adminstration and the board of trustees are at fault for the mess up there. It's obvious to anyone with a brain, and the biggest reason why I've discouraged athletes over the years from even considering OSU as a place to go for athletics. They keep proving me right over and over again.

The problem with the Buckeyes hasn't been so much with coaching

I feel like the problem with Ohio State is 100% Gary, Kids go there and they no longer enjoy running, Gary does not have personal relationships with his runners and once you get there your just another replaceable number which is why we see a lot of good runners transferring or quitting all together!

I feel like the problem with Ohio State is 100% Gary, Kids go there and they no longer enjoy running, Gary does not have personal relationships with his runners and once you get there your just another replaceable number which is why we see a lot of good runners transferring or quitting all together!

Well, that might be on the distance running side of things, but a track & field team is a lot more than just distance runners. What exactly do you mean by "personal relationship" with the runners? Buddy-buddy? Also, at almost any D1 team of Ohio State's level of national importance, you really ARE replaceable.

Now, I couldn't speak for any of the kids individually or the coaching staff, but OSU's problems go back well into the 1980's with the one-dimensional program they had under then coach Russ Rogers, when it was almost exclusively a sprint school. They haven't been a balance program in a very long time, maybe dating back to Larry Snyder days.

Well, that might be on the distance running side of things, but a track & field team is a lot more than just distance runners. What exactly do you mean by "personal relationship" with the runners? Buddy-buddy? Also, at almost any D1 team of Ohio State's level of national importance, you really ARE replaceable.

Now, I couldn't speak for any of the kids individually or the coaching staff, but OSU's problems go back well into the 1980's with the one-dimensional program they had under then coach Russ Rogers, when it was almost exclusively a sprint school. They haven't been a balance program in a very long time, maybe dating back to Larry Snyder days.

Lets not pretend that you have to have a balanced program to be successful. The OSU women's team has been elite the past few years without a distance point at the Big Ten meet. They won indoor and outdoor in 2011 and was 2nd indoors this year without a single distance point.

Gary did a nice job of making OSU into a more well rounded program, but they've (the team) not been successful at the Big Ten level and he's not made many friends in the process. It will be interesting to see what happens next.

What I mean by personal relationship is he doesnt CARE about his runners I have multiple friends who are on the team now ran for him in the past and couldnt stand him. And i understand that at that level they are replaceable but if he treats all of his kids like that and they all leave or quit like Jake Hiltner or Matt Buzek or other runners who did nothing but get worse when they went to ohio state other recruits are going to notice that and not want to go there.

And i understand that at that level they are replaceable but if he treats all of his kids like that and they all leave or quit like Jake Hiltner or Matt Buzek or other runners who did nothing but get worse when they went to ohio state other recruits are going to notice that and not want to go there.

How did they do after they left Gary? What? Considerably worse than at Ohio State? Hmmm....

So maybe the problem doesn't resonate from the coach, but the athlete?

Thats what D3 and some MAC schools are for. He's not your buddy? Thats too bad. And yet no one complains about Urban Meyer being such a meanie? Its a big time D1 program, either you make it or you don't.

You apparently missed the Sporting News story about Meyer. It was basically saying how mean he is.

People will put up with mean coaching if it delivers something at the end; either titles or professional opportunities. If a coach is mean and doesn't deliver, they have a short tenure.

Many younger kids today grew up in the love me and hold me parenting. I also think most of them were showered with attention because they were stars and then they start competing with equally talented kids and the combination of the daily competition and lack of stroking becomes an issue. This problem is also true in the work force today with kids coming out of college thinking they are the greatest and smartest at whatever, then meeting people THEY KNOW are smarter and better WITH more experience. This is a tricky thing to manage. A key point that helps is for them to know you care about them as a person if you are in a management position.

Any kid and their parents know what they are getting into when they are recruited and visit OSU or any other program. It takes about 10 seconds of meeting with coach Gary to know what his personality is like. So, don't put it on him. If a kid has a problem with him, they knew going into it what they were in for.

I think kids today are just as tough and thoughtful and ambitious as any other generation. Not everyone responds to the same things.

Any kid and their parents know what they are getting into when they are recruited and visit OSU or any other program. It takes about 10 seconds of meeting with coach Gary to know what his personality is like. So, don't put it on him. If a kid has a problem with him, they knew going into it what they were in for.

I think kids today are just as tough and thoughtful and ambitious as any other generation. Not everyone responds to the same things.

Well, put, Psycho_dad. Not every coach is for every athlete, and not every athlete is for every coach.

True enough, but maybe that is a key difference between great coaches and those that are just knowledgable. At the college level, recruiting and retaining great athletes is a huge part of being successful. Those people who can effectively relate and motive a greater proportion of talented athletes are more likely to have success as coaches. Most of the great (successful) coaches I have met are hugely charismatic in addition to being knowledgable.

The speculation is that Gary interviewed and took a job at Furman that would start in the fall, which would have been a breach of contract as he had to disclose who he was interviewing with for any other position, and he did not do that in this situation. Again, this is the rumor that I have heard from a handful of sources that would know about the situation.

psycho-don't really disagree, but would add that building a successful organization (team, company...) requires integration and adaptation of both the coach and athlete. I would argue that being technically knowledgeable is secondary to being able to build a relationship that enables an effective transference of motivation to the athlete, what motivates them, what's going on in their life... People might say it doesn't matter, but it does and each person requires different stimuli. IMHO, track is different than football in this respect, where team play and coordination are somewhat secondary to your specific individual skills. You cannot hide in track behind better play from your teammates.

I would argue that being technically knowledgeable is secondary to being able to build a relationship that enables an effective transference of motivation to the athlete, what motivates them, what's going on in their life... People might say it doesn't matter, but it does and each person requires different stimuli.

:clap: That is the essence of successful coaching.

How many elite level runners did he let get out of the state on the boys side. I know of at least 2 right off the top Will Henry from Trotwood(Arizona ST.) and Blake Heriot who was in his own backyard

How many elite level runners did he let get out of the state on the boys side. I know of at least 2 right off the top Will Henry from Trotwood(Arizona ST.) and Blake Heriot who was in his own backyard

I know that there have been many great athletes that have "gotten away"" but I'm sure that more than a few of them could not get into O.S.U. or for some reason, that you or I don't know about, would not have fit into the program.

Of course there's always the remote possibility that the kids had no interest in attending Ohio State, as strange as that seems to some people.

Of course there's always the remote possibility that the kids had no interest in attending Ohio State, as strange as that seems to some people.

That could never be the case. Who could possibly want to choose being a student-athlete in Florida (Heriot) or Arizona (Henry) when they could stay in Ohio where the weather is simply ideal for a sprinter? After all, everyone wants to be a Buckeye. :angel:

Your right there is always that possibility just have seen a lot of track talent slip out of Ohio and hear coaches say how he never really went after them hard.

Your right there is always that possibility just have seen a lot of track talent slip out of Ohio and hear coaches say how he never really went after them hard.

You're out of your mind if you truly believe that. Maybe a few on the guys side. That statement would be much more correct for the girls side.

When Gary was only the XC coach, I was told by one of his runners that Gary isn't a proactive recruiter. Gary basically waits for prospective student-athletes to come to him first, and then he'd decide whether or not to recruit them. I don't know if he ever changed his recruiting approach after becoming head track coach, but I doubt it; especially if his interpersonal skills are as lacking as most believe (the runner I talked to shared that belief). So yes, if a kid never showed any desire to attend Ohio State, then Gary probably never did anything to change his mind.

Another common complaint amongst Gary's XC runners was that his training regimen often left them beat up and burned out halfway through the season.

one of the best runners in the state of Ohio and a top 10 National finisher didnt like his coaching all that well. Wasnt a good team builder and played favorites.