Garfield Heights District

HomeRun10

This district should be loaded as always and hopefully have a few state champs. I have always enjoyed reading Borofans rankings along with Bucksman reports. McClearn did an awesome job the last few years detailing this district. I wanted to at least put together some discussion on this district as I think this is always a well discussed loaded district as it has a lot of great wrestlers. I think there are at least 2 state champs coming from this district (126, 170) with a possible 4 others (145,195, 220, HWT)

I took the top 6 or 7 from Boro for this (Thanks Boro for the rankings)

106- Edwards- Rootstown, Newell- South Range, Simms- Wellsville, Schulke- Columbia, Funk- Mogadore, Heller- Waynedale Martin- Southeast, Spreng- Loudonville

113- Reineke- Hawken, Duncan- Chalker, Pahanish- South Range, Amodio- Southeast, Conroy- Crestwood, Sigler- Northwestern

120- Cmil- South Range, Wrobel- Crestwood, Davidson- Kirtland, Gibson- Rittman, Durbin- Mapleton, Bond- Garfield

126- Edwards- Rootstown, Elmore- Fairview, Markulin- SOuth Range, Lyons- Tuslaw, Sundberg- Waynedale, Skelly- Smithville

132- McKee- Wellington, Vanest- Tuslaw, Prikryl- Rootstown, Sas- Mapleton, Moore- Norwayne, Karasek- Mogadore

138- Harris- Smithville, McHood- Mogadore, Viront- Tuslaw, Fox- Waterloo, Munn- Berkshire, Hifka- Hawken

145- Shepherd- Norwayne, Stanley- Waynedale, Andel- Garfield, Coontz- Rootstown, Maali- South Range, Strahan- Crestwood, Yeaples- Black River

152- Skye- Mogadore, Sell- Garfield, Geiser- Dalton, White- Rootstown, Brown- Berkshire, Andolsek- Wellington

160- Duvall- Rootstown, Palmer- Lutheran West, Starkey- South Range, Green- Columbiana, Bettura- Crestview, Hershberger- Waynedale, Keener- Smithville

170- Garza- Rittman, Lemon- Waynedale, Schoepe- Rotostown, Cormell- South Range, Paxton- Fairview

182- Stoddard- Berkshire, Rose- Cardinal, Huber- Northwestern, Miller- Dalton, Hamrick- Tuslaw, Banks- Rootstown, Wells- Black River

195- Knight- Mogadore, Sapp- Southeast, Stifler- Orrville, Keener- Smithville, Geiser- Dalton, Murray- Waynedale, Gencarelli- Kirtland, Perrin- Berkshire, McKenzie- Rootstown

220- Ryder- Dalton, Kidd- Norwayne, Mesaros- Southeast, Weekly- Wellsville, Lowe- Mogadore, Brereton- United,

HWT- Elrod- ASJ, Jordan- Waynedale, Kamperman- Columbiana, Owen- Black River, Verba- Pymatuning Valley,

2 weeks away, any thoughts on this district? Once I see who is in at what weight, I will try and make some predictions. I think there could be some weight shuffling this week

Thanks for posting this for GH district.
Ok. I will start with a few thoughts.
From what I’ve observed, fwiw, the closest to a clear “favorite” is Edwards at 126.

My “Rodney Dangerfields” of Garfield Heights who should qualify:
120: Bond (Gar)
126: Skelly (Smithville)
152: Sell: (Gar) I would pick Sell due to his h2h win over Skye at PTC. If you saw the match, it Didn’t look like a flukish win either.
182: Banks (Rootstown) anywhere from 1-4th.
195: Murray (Waynedale)

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this for GH district.
Ok. I will start with a few thoughts.
From what I’ve observed, fwiw, the closest to a clear “favorite” is Edwards at 126.

My “Rodney Dangerfields” of Garfield Heights who should qualify:
120: Bond (Gar)
126: Skelly (Smithville)
152: Sell: (Gar) I would pick Sell due to his h2h win over Skye at PTC. If you saw the match, it Didn’t look like a flukish win either.
182: Banks (Rootstown) anywhere from 1-4th.
195: Murray (Waynedale)
Skye did win in the dual meet rematch a couple weeks later

Skye did win in the dual meet rematch a couple weeks later
yes. And Both matches were 1 point wins.

I fully expect Skye and Sell to wrestle each other at Sectional Finals and District Finals.

I believe Garfield picked Independence Sectional knowing Mogadore would be there to make sure Sell and Skye were on opposite sides of the bracket at districts. If they did it was a smart move.

Last edited:
Not sure about weight movements and who really can move. But Shepherd being a senior and good enough to be on top of the podium may think about moving away from 145 as no one is beating Gavin Brown at that weight at state.

Not sure if Shepherd can go 138 again this year or if he would have to bump to 152, but just one thought I had thinking about who may change weight classes at GH right at sectionals.

Not sure about weight movements and who really can move. But Shepherd being a senior and good enough to be on top of the podium may think about moving away from 145 as no one is beating Gavin Brown at that weight at state.

Not sure if Shepherd can go 138 again this year or if he would have to bump to 152, but just one thought I had thinking about who may change weight classes at GH right at sectionals.

And no one thought Spencer Lee could be beaten in 2017....

Shepherd was one I was thinking, while Lemon and Jordan from waynedale, along with some of the 26's. I know Jordan didn't make weight at State duals for HWY as he was too light and Lemon would have to get past Garza, while 182 is wide open at the state level and he would maybe move into potential favorite at that weight. The 126 weight class has the projected state champ and could see one of those guys look at 20 or 32

Now that we are here what are everyone's thoughts. The Northwestern Sectional had a couple upsets that could alter the bracket a little as to who gets out. starting at 120, Durbin from Mapleton beat Gibson from Rittman (Gibson pinned him earlier in the season) Durbin ends up on Cmil's side of bracket while Gibson goes opposite. At 126 Skelly from Smithville returns and took care of Sundberg from Waynedale and that puts Sundberg on Edwards side of bracket. At 145 Stanley upsets Shepherd and I think Stanley ended up with a tougher draw having to face Andel in the semi's. At 182 Huber from Northwestern beat Miller from Dalton in a very questionable OT, and this put Miller on same side as Stoddard (who I think Miller can beat). Maybe the biggest upset though of the weekend at Northwestern, was unranked Joe Shoup pinning #4 Cam Jordan from Waynedale. Jordan now will have to go through probably 3 #1's to win this district and will have a very tough second round against Owen from Black RIver, followed by Phillips from Western Reserve in semi final if he can get by Owen

I think you're wrong on 82. Right now Stoddard is best at 82. I think he very well could be state champ. He's beaten my boy 3 times this year destroyed tuslaws 82 on Saturday and I watched him destroy Huber a month or so ago. But that why they wrestle the matches we'll see this weekend.

My predictions from what I've gathered and seen this year.

106-Edwards, Newell, Heller, Simms, Burns, Martin

113-Reineke, Duncan, Pahanish, Colman, Amodio, Fuentes

120-Cmil, Wrobel, Davidson, Gibson, Durbin, Heiden

126-Edwards, Markulin, Elmore, Lyons, Sundberg, Skelly

132-McKee, Prikryl, Vanest, Sas, Moore, Karasek

138-Harris, Strahan, Mchood, Viront, Coppersmith, Munn

145-Shepherd, Stanley, Andel, Coontz, Wonner, Green

152-Sell, Skye, Geiser, Andolsek, Parish, Walsh

160-Duval, Starkey, Palmer, Edgar, Green, Hershberger

170-Garza, Lemon, Cormell, Banks, Paxton, Szuch

182-Stoddard, Rose, Huber, Miller, Morris, McCon

195-Knight, Sapp, Stifler, Geiser, Keener, Gencarelli

220-Ryder, Kids, Weekely, Cottrell, Lowe, Brereton

285-Jordan, Elrod, Owen, Philips, Babik, Verba

Team-Rootstown, South Range, Waynedale, Tuslaw

I think you're wrong on 82. Right now Stoddard is best at 82. I think he very well could be state champ. He's beaten my boy 3 times this year destroyed tuslaws 82 on Saturday and I watched him destroy Huber a month or so ago. But that why they wrestle the matches we'll see this weekend.
You are probably right, I just think Miller has a chance against him, I think for Stoddard he had a huge win, when neither Garza or Lemon bumped up to 182 as both of those guys are Elite

Well I know Bucksman and Boro Fan will have their district preview so I figured I would do one. Not my 1st. This will take a while though as I will be busy working this week. I'll do what I can every evening and we'll see how they work out.

I'll look at the team battle first. Sectional finishes have a say but we are looking for district points now and that is a whole different ballgame. I figure it is between Waynedale and Rootstown with Waynedale getting the nod. There are many factors in this. Rootstowns had their 120 drop to 113 for sectionals and he will pick up some points this weekend. Another thing is how the Rovers 152 recovers this week. I really don't see another team challenging for this title at Garfield Hts.

I will do 106 tonight and do what I can tomorrow evening. It will take a couple days.

This will be a very tough weight from the 1/4's on in the bottom bracket. I'll get to that.

In the top half we have Bryce Edwards (Rootstown). He won a tough sectional at Rootstown. He should clear to the finals. The quarter between Owens (SE) and Burns (Liberty). I'm figuring Burns. In the bottom half we have Heller (Waynedale), Simms (Wellsville) Newell (S Range) and Schulke (Columbia). Heller/Simms and Newell/Schulke should be the 1/4's. Tough to make the picks here. Newell lost 6-4 in his sectional final to Edwards. I'm going with Heller and Schulke to make the semi finals with Newell and Simms to meet in the consolation round 3. All these guesses could go the other way. 1-Edwards 2-Heller 3-Newell 4-Schulke 5-Simms 6-Martin (SE)

1-Reineke 2- Duncan 3-Pahanish 4-Colman 5-Amodio 6-Leone

1-Cmil 2-Wrobel 3-Durbin 4-Davidson 5-Bond 6-Stallworth
I think Gibson is the wild card at 120, he has finished 5th and 6th the last two years as he has lost his blood round match each of the last two years. Durbin and him have split their matches this season and outside of Cmil I think the other three spots are up for grabs. ALso being a senior can be an advantage at this point, down to last chance

I think Gibson is the wild card at 120, he has finished 5th and 6th the last two years as he has lost his blood round match each of the last two years. Durbin and him have split their matches this season and outside of Cmil I think the other three spots are up for grabs. ALso being a senior can be an advantage at this point, down to last chance
I haven't seen either match, you can catch someone for a fall, but 22-7 TF doesn't sound like he got caught, just saying....

Has anyone been told how many tickets each wrestler gets at this district? I see some districts are allowing 2 on friday and 4 on saturday, but there is nothing on baumspage

I would say very doubtful. Garfield Heights gym capacity is about 1400. If you take 25% (the new rule) that's 350 people. 7 brackets in a session with 16 kids, (112 kids) then 2 spectators per wrestler (224 parents) plus coaches, your right there. Now there's always the variable of parents having 2 kids in districts or something of that nature but based on the numbers, I would guess still 2 per wrestler. Not sure how that one district is allowing 4 for early rounds and 8 for finals. Just happy were moving forward, going to be some great matches!!

160 could be wrestled 4 weeks in a row and have the top 8 or so finish in different orders each week. Very close and competitive weight class.

I agree . Just watch the 160 Sectional Champ match between Starkey and Duvall.

Starts about 3:20:00

Last edited:
Top of the pack:
I'm projecting Rootstown to clear six, which seems like a reasonable number.
Waynedale and South Range at four each, though each has a couple more that could clear (i.e. they're go-to-round caliber kids). I also have Mogadore and Dalton at four, though that's more a ceiling number for ech of them.
Everyone else is at three or less

Some pretty congested weights at Garfield Hts, some others that have more spots than quality kids for them.

106 - FINAL: Edwards (Rootstown) v Heller (Waynedale), CONSI: Simms (Wellsville) v Newell (South Range), ALT: Martin (Ravenna Southeast) v Burns (Youngstown Liberty)
113 - FINAL: Reineke (Hawken) v Duncan (Chalker), CONSI: Sigler (WS Northwestern) v Ammodio (Ravenna Southeast), ALT: Leone (Youngstown Liberty) v Pahanish (South Range)
120 - FINAL: Cmil (South Range) v Gibson (Rittman), CONSI: Durbin (Mapleton) v Wrobel (Crestwood), ALT: Bond (Gar. Garfield) v Heiden (Berkshire)
126 - FINAL: Edwards (Rootstown) v Markulin (South Range), CONSI: Elmore (Fairview) v Lyons (Tuslaw), ALT: Skelly (Smithville) v Sundberg (Waynedale)
132 - FINAL: McKee (Wellington) v Prikryl (Rootstown), CONSI: Vanest (Tuslaw) v Moore (Norwayne), ALT: Karasek (Mogadore) v Sas (Mapleton)
138 - FINAL: Munn (Berkshire) v Viront (Tuslaw), CONSI: McHood (Mogadore) v Harris (Smithville), ALT: Coppersmith (Columbiana Crestview) v Siders (Dalton)
145 - FINAL: Stanley (Waynedale) v Shepherd (Norwayne), CONSI: Andel (Gar. Garfield) v Coontz (Rootstown), ALT: Lyons (Tuslaw) v Wonner (Col. Crestview)
152 - FINAL: Skye (Mogadore) v Sell (Gar. Garfield), CONSI: Geiser (Dalton) v Walsh (Chippewa), ALT: Andolsek (Wellington) v White (Rootstown)
160 - FINAL: Palmer (Lutheran West) v Duvall (Rootstown), CONSI: Edgar (Jefferson) v Jewitt (Fairview), ALT: Hershberger (Waynedale) v Starkey (South Range)
170 - FINAL: Garza (Rittman) v Lemon (Waynedale), CONSI: Cormell (South Range) v Banks (Rootstown), ALT: Paxton (Fairview) v Kuehn (Smithville)
182 - FINAL: Morris (Southern Local) v Stoddard (Berkshire), CONSI: Huber (WS Northwestern) v Miller (Dalton), ALT: Pfiefer (Waynedale) v Rose (Cardinal)
195 - FINAL: Knight (Mogadore) v Stiffler (Orrville), CONSI: Keener (Smithville) v Geiser (Dalton), ALT: Sapp (Ravenna Southeast) v Gencarelli (Kirtland)
220 - FINAL: Ryder (Dalton) v Kidd (Norwayne), CONSI: Lowe (Mogadore) v Cottrell (Grand Valley), ALT: Weekely (Wellsville) v Heather (Canton CC)
285 - FINAL: Owen (Black River) v Elrod (Ashtabula St. John), CONSI: Phillips (Berlin Center W.R.) v Jordan (Waynedale), ALT: Shoup (Mapleton) v Verba (Pymatuning Valley)

Well I know Bucksman and Boro Fan will have their district preview so I figured I would do one. Not my 1st. This will take a while though as I will be busy working this week. I'll do what I can every evening and we'll see how they work out.

I'll look at the team battle first. Sectional finishes have a say but we are looking for district points now and that is a whole different ballgame. I figure it is between Waynedale and Rootstown with Waynedale getting the nod. There are many factors in this. Rootstowns had their 120 drop to 113 for sectionals and he will pick up some points this weekend. Another thing is how the Rovers 152 recovers this week. I really don't see another team challenging for this title at Garfield Hts.

106) 1-Edwards 2- Heller 3- Newell 4- Schulke 5-Simms 6-Martin
This will be a very tough weight from the 1/4's on in the bottom bracket. I'll get to that.
In the top half we have Bryce Edwards (Rootstown). He won a tough sectional at Rootstown. He should clear to the finals. The quarter between Martin (SE) and Burns (Liberty). I'm figuring Martin (although Burns does have a win over Martin this year). In the bottom half we have Heller/Simms and Newell/Schulke should be the 1/4's. Tough to make the picks here. Newell lost 6-4 in his sectional final to Edwards. I'm going with Heller and Schulke to make the semi finals with Newell and Simms to meet in the consolation round 3. All these guesses could go the other way.

113) 1-Reineke 2- Duncan 3-Pahanish 4-Colman 5-Amodio 6-Leone
120) 1-Cmil 2-Wrobel 3-Durbin 4-Davidson 5-Bond 6-Stallworth
126) 1-Edwards 2-Lyons 3-Elmore 4-Markulin 5-Skelly 6-Sundberg
132) 1-McKee 2- Prikryl 3- Vanest 4-Moore 5-Sas 6-Karasek
138) 1-Harris 2-Munn 3-Viront 4-McHood 5-Siders 6-Coppersmith
145) 1-Shephard 2- Stanley 3-Andel 4-Coontz 5-Lyons 6-Wonner
152) 1-Skye 2- Sell 3-Geiser 4-White 5-Andolsek 6-Walsh
160) 1- Duvall 2-Starkey 3-Edgar 4-Hershberger 5-Palmer 6-Green
170) 1-Garza 2-Lemon 3-Cormell 4- Banks 5-Paxton 6- Szuchs

Last edited:
Nice of Garfield Heights to go the lazy route and have a paid subscription to stream and then only show one mat... I would expect nothing else from them though, I have sent the NE board a number of times over the years to move this district out of here, it is dangerous neighborhood, no parking, they restrict no one, and allow everyone to stand at rope so anye sitting in first 10 rows cannot see, but hey we are wrestling right?

Thanks again Firestone for the free stream tomorrow