Gap Year for D1 Hopeful

standup

Need some advice....say a graduating senior is still an 02. Would recommend taking a"gap" year? So maybe go to a Junior college or other local state school for the 2020 -2021 academic year and take some college courses; all the while play club or academy soccer? In this way you can hopefully start your college soccer career in the fall of 2021. By doing this you can not have the uncertainties and short comings that Covid poses and another year to grow and mature and work on soccer and not lose a year of eligibility. And then the question begs....must this soccer player be only a part time student? Because going full time affects your 5 years of eligibility?

Junior College to D1 in the scenario above ..is there issues to be cognizant of?
D3 to D1 in the scenario above ....is there issues to be cognizant of?

Catch my drift? and looking for some good advice
TY

standup

Thank you Soccer dad for your input. But why not take part time classes for college credit at the same time? So long as the student stays part time; no athletic eligiibility is used up correct? So a "gap" year could include progress toward a college degree right?
Thanks again,

I'm not sure on the athletic eligibility, I just know that most colleges have a policy that if a student elects a gap year, they either cannot take college courses during that year or they would have to reapply to the school as a transfer student.

The gap year only does not apply to DIII or NJCAA Division III. Athletes can take time off and go back whenever.

The gap year policy is not an institutional policy, it's a governing body policy. You can take a year off of competition, yet still be enrolled part-time, there are no issues. The minute your gap year is up, your eligibility clock ticks in DI, DII, and NAIA. If an athlete considers anything but DI, their part-time semesters (or no enrollment) are not counted as a term.

Once full-time enrollment begins, the eligibility clock ticks. Full-time enrollment from a governing body perspective is 12 credit hours in a semester. Some institutions may decide less is still considered full-time, but governing bodies do not consider that full-time. If a player decides to train with a college team during part-time enrollment, that would/could affect eligibility AND affect transfer status (if that were a consideration).