Gameday Thread

There is some truth to this. My understanding was that the QB competition in the spring was a "tie". I also suspect that Meyer would have overthunk the situation and tried to platoon Haskins & Burrows with Haskins in on "throwing" downs and Burrow the "running" QB. Talk about cluster fracks!

Clearly the best thing that could have happened for Ohio State, LSU AND Haskins & Burrow was for Burrow to go to LSU and remove the temptation of Meyer reliving his Florida dual QB legacy!

As an aside and I know I'll catch crap for this but IMO Burrow IS the better QB then Haskins. He'll go higher in the NFL draft and he'll have a better NFL career.

Haskins will always throw a prettier deep ball, but Burrow will always be a better all-around QB. It might be entertaining if they end up competing for the QB job in DC.

Looks like we could get OSU vs Clemson and LSU vs Oregon in the playoffs.
As much as I would rather avoid a first round game with Clemson, the Buckeyes play Oregon in 2020 and 2021. I'd rather not see them until then, just to keep things fresh.

Haskins will always throw a prettier deep ball, but Burrow will always be a better all-around QB. It might be entertaining if they end up competing for the QB job in DC.
Don't know about the "always be a better all-around QB" yet. It's a long way until we know what their NFL careers looked like. It may very well be true, but it's too early to know that.

If Georgia beats LSU in the SEC championship, there is no question LSU would get in. The committee values a 1 loss SEC team much more than a 1 loss Big 12 or Pac 12 team. It's been obvious in the 1st two rankings they released.
Agree. It would be 1. Ohio State 2. Clemson. 3. Georgia 4. LSU....which would set-up a "Burrow Bowl" first round with LSU and a possible "Fields Bowl" with Georgia for the Buckeyes. That would be extra drama.

Don't know about the "always be a better all-around QB" yet. It's a long way until we know what their NFL careers looked like. It may very well be true, but it's too early to know that.

It’s pretty hard to teach real vision, and Haskins does not seem to have it. Burrow had it in HS, and his arm strength, etc, is improving. Burrow runs better. I don’t see Haskins surpassing him as an NFL QB, and Burrow hasn’t had his first pro snap yet.

It’s pretty hard to teach real vision, and Haskins does not seem to have it. Burrow had it in HS, and his arm strength, etc, is improving. Burrow runs better. I don’t see Haskins surpassing him as an NFL QB, and Burrow hasn’t had his first pro snap yet.
It all may turn out that way, but Haskins wound up on possibly the worst team in the NFL, which has fired its head coach mid-season and is owned by a meddler who will probably never see sustained success. So Haskins has to overcome all of that in the infancy of his NFL career. I’ll take a wait and see.

Not sure on the vision issue yet, either. Haskins didn’t throw many picks in college. He’s only played a handful of NFL games. Burrow has played zero NFL games and his stats were not lights out at LSU last year. He’s improved greatly in his second season as a college starter. Haskins never got that second season. He has to develop on the fly in the NFL.

The committee would essentially blow up the 4 team playoff if they put both Georgia and LSU in at the expense of 1-loss PAC 12 and Big XII champs. So, I’m all for it

Not sure on the vision issue yet, either. Haskins didn’t throw many picks in college. He’s only played a handful of NFL games. Burrow has played zero NFL games and his stats were not lights out at LSU last year. He’s improved greatly in his second season as a college starter. Haskins never got that second season. He has to develop on the fly in the NFL.

Burrow's stats started improving radically in his last 4 games at LSU last year. His early season struggles were a direct result of his own inexperience, the inexperience of his offense, & a very tough schedule. Joe Brady has mentioned that one of the reasons he was confident that Burrow could excel in his pro style offense was watching tape of his last 4 games in 2018.

If you look at Burrow's last 14 games (includes the last 4 games of the 2018 season - including the New years day Bowl Game - & 10 games this season) his stats are:

462 attempts - 349 completions (75.5%) for 4853 yards and 48 TD's & 7 INT's. He also has had 6 rushing TD's.

That's not a bad stretch of work against what most people would agree is a tougher then average schedule. And it doesn't indicate a one season wonder who feasted off of bad teams. In fact Burrow's stats are as good or better against the best schools on his schedule as they are against the weakest.

As for whether he'll be a better NFL QB then Haskins only time will tell. Predicting NFL success for college QB's is always a crap shoot. But if I were a GM and needed a QB I would pick Burrow without hesitation. Not only has he demonstrated that he has all the tools to play QB at an elite level he also has demonstrated that he possess all the intangibles (leadership etc.) needed for an NFL QB to succeed.

I think the NFL game increasingly demands decent mobility & athleticism out of it's QB's. In this Burrows has a clear advantage over Haskins.

The thing we've learned about Burrows this year is he has great pocket awareness, can move around nicely and make very accurate throws on the run. This is the prototype skill set the NFL looks for.

I'm pretty confident that Haskins will always struggle with "seeing" a third receiver quickly enough. I hope I am wrong, because I always love to see a Buckeye succeed. It's great for "our" recruiting.

When I say "vision", I mean the compound process of knowing the location that every moving part of the receiver corps should be found at every elapsing quarter of a second throughout the play, and being able to both set eyes on them quickly and adjust that timing to initial chucks, holds, and hang-ups as the play develops. Burrow had this in high school, and has developed it further in college play, as the speed of the game and complexity of schemes increase. If you get him with thinking receivers it will be very tough to stop him with a zone scheme, and he seems bright enough to identify them readily. Baker does have it, especially in a reliable pocket, and OBJs tendency/need to free-lance a route has been a large part of their struggle to interface on the field.

These are things that I saw either seldom or never from Haskins at tOSU, and certainly not in the NFL. It's harder to believe in developing something at the highest level of play than it is expect that the speed can be dialed up the last measure to the highest level.

But that's just me, I guess. We all approach our fandom differently.

One thing for sure Big Ten does right, these promo commercials.
The bands.
Game of Thrones.
And this year's "walk with me," gets me close everytime.

I said this earlier but I think A&M has a good shot at beating Georgia. If you can take away the run game they are more than vulnerable. Took the points and I think it covers if not an outright win

Huge no call on defensive holding. Clearly was holding. A&M has gotten screwed a few times by the refs in this game

Seems to be the norm for all SEC teams. Either the d is good or the o is good. That's why I think OSU is the best team. Great balance on offense and the defense is very good, as is the offense.

Almost got that A&M game straight up.

Every SEC team should drop in the rankings for scheduling these shleps in the 2nd to last game of the year.

Tom Herman wont be fired but his seat is getting very hot. If he doesnt perform next year he will be gone. They look stupid extending his contract after last year

Georgias defense is really good but man is their offense very one dimensional

Their passing offense is downright putrid. I get the UK game was a monsoon. I get there was rain this weekend. But even taking those two games out he averages 212 yards on 61.6% completion and 1.7 touchdowns a game against P5 teams. I'll give him credit on turning the ball over. Other than the SC game he has zero INT this year.

WR from Ole Miss with the dumbest penalty I’ve ever seen. I could understand being excited and maybe spiking the ball too hard or talking trash, but a choreographed pantomime of a dog pissing? Beyond stupid.