Gameday Thread

Nice to see they left A&M in the top 25 so Bama can claim to have beaten a "good team".

Some beat writers are really questioning what A&M is doing in the top 25, they really seem to be living off of the preseason ranking. Like HS football the AP really should move to a poll model where they vote after week 3 is completed to give a more accurate snapshot of the pecking order. Also they should consider going deeper that just 25. A top 40 is probably better because the difference between the 25th team and the 40th team is much smaller than the 25th team and the 10th team.

Matt Campbell is incredibly over rated. He seems to be a fan boy year after year on here

Overrated to what degree? He’s not elite, but it’s really, really hard to win at Iowa St. Not only is the state and surrounding area pretty much barren of high level talent, Iowa is really the program with the most cache in that state.

Matt Campbell is 21-21 now at Iowa State. They went 8-28 the three years prior to him. 8-28.

It is extremely hard to win at Iowa State, and as already noted, they are pretty much the "little brother" in a state and neighboring region with minimal talent.

Sooner than later he's going to wind up at a better Power 5 job or in the NFL.

Matt Campbell is incredibly over rated. He seems to be a fan boy year after year on here
A one point and a two point loss against undefeated teams. Not the best undefeated teams but still. They're breaking their records for season tickets. Attendance is WAY up. He's stated when Toledo visited, he and the wife fell in love with the place. If not Ohio St, I think he's happy to be Iowa St's Bill Snyder.

I think that idea will get tested a lot more over the next 1-2 offseasons as Ohio State seems to be off the table for the foreseeable future unless Ryan Day has NFL aspirations.

Campbell perfectly fits the mold of what's hot in the NFL right now. I see him as being a college guy through and through though, and whenever the time comes he is going to be towards the top of the list that Michigan and Michigan State can realistically pursue.

x's and o's aren't his strong suit in my opinion. I'm not sure I see a Michigan in his future. He's good at finding that mid-level under-developed talent, then getting it to meet potential. This isn't something the elites need. But if they called... I'd bet he'd take Penn St before he'd take Michigan.

I think that idea will get tested a lot more over the next 1-2 offseasons as Ohio State seems to be off the table for the foreseeable future unless Ryan Day has NFL aspirations.

Campbell perfectly fits the mold of what's hot in the NFL right now. I see him as being a college guy through and through though, and whenever the time comes he is going to be towards the top of the list that Michigan and Michigan State can realistically pursue.

I think the new model for NCAA coaches will be what Oklahoma and Ohio State have done. Groom a smart CEO style coordinator that keeps the train rolling with the primary assistants and support staff sticking around to keep continuity. Then just like the players they graduate to the NFL and the next smart CEO style coordinator already on staff moves up and gets the gig. As long as the University allows you to pay key assistants like a Larry Johnson this is a great model for the haves. Keep an eye on Brian Hartline as the guy in 5 years to get the next crack as the dude is killing it on the recruiting trail and is poised to have a slew of WRs move on to the NFL and make big $s. Al Washington is another guy to keep an eye on, look at LBs in 2018 vs 2019.

x's and o's aren't his strong suit in my opinion. I'm not sure I see a Michigan in his future. He's good at finding that mid-level under-developed talent, then getting it to meet potential. This isn't something the elites need. But if they called... I'd bet he'd take Penn St before he'd take Michigan.

Not sure what UM will do if Harbaugh doesn't work out, they have tried it all and nothing seems to work.

Before Campbell the last time Iowa St. had won 8 games was 2000. Campbell won 8 games in years 2 and 3. Hardly overrated, IMO.

UGA taking another half off to start a game. Doubt South Carolina can hang but the Bulldogs need to tighten things up in the second half.

Will Muschamp is one of my least favorite coaches, and his idiotic decision to try a 57 yard FG on 4th and 3 doesn’t raise his stature in my book.

Kirby Smart then outdoes Muschamp’s idiocy by flubbing clock management and not getting off a FG to win it in regulation.

And this is why crappy programs like South Carolina remain crappy. Don’t know how to win the games that can elevate a program.

Terrible kick by South Carolina. Should have won in regulation.
And these long handoffs on 3rd and 1’s are maddening. So many teams have the QB and RB five yards from the LOS on short yardage. Drives me crazy.

Yes!!! Thankfully Georgia lost a game they absolutely deserved to lose. They played like crap at home against an outmanned mediocre program with an awful coach.

Terrible kick by Georgia. Shocking the game could have been won with a kick but turns out that it was lost with a kick.

Jake From is a typical SEC game manger type QB. I bet Georgia fans wish Fields was still there.