Game of Thrones: House of the Dragon

Even darkly lit, this ep is running 9.4 on IMDB. Not sure if fans are being heard on the lighting choices. I still think it should be an easy edit, since it's all computer over the original film. Meanwhile, gamma.

saw an interview with Charlie Hunnam yesterday. He'd be a good fit in a GoT show IMO.
Saw an interview with Emma D'arcy yesterday, they is the definition of non-binary.

220707_RachellSmith_HOTD_Emma03_0118.jpeg

Regarding the lighting, can't find the post where someone brought it up, but this last episode had the same director as the GoT episode "The Long Night" which was also heavily criticized for it's lighting choices.

Saw an interview with Emma D'arcy yesterday, they is the definition of non-binary.

220707_RachellSmith_HOTD_Emma03_0118.jpeg

Sounds old, acts old but the character is not old. D'Arcy seems to have gotten ideas for the role from every Queen Victoria been there done that. The younger actor I think would have done better. That was a more unique characterization IMO, I'd like to have seen what Milly Alcock could have done continuing on. A 22 year old could play a 28 year old as well as can a 30 year old.

Regarding the lighting, can't find the post where someone brought it up, but this last episode had the same director as the GoT episode "The Long Night" which was also heavily criticized for it's lighting choices.
It also had the same cinimatographer. The buck seems to have been passed to a communtiy creative decision. I don't see anyONE person saying "I decided that." I also think some of the whining is over the top. Idiots saying they couldn't see the anything the whole episode. It's a few scenes at worse and nothing that needs to be seen to know what was going on. They weren't hiding anything in the shadows. They were just depicting the natural lighting in which they wanted to scene to take place. How do you brighten up moonlight?

Last edited:
Sounds old, acts old but the character is not old. D'Arcy seems to have gotten ideas for the role from every Queen Victoria been there done that. The younger actor I think would have done better. That was a more unique characterization IMO, I'd like to have seen what Milly Alcock could have done continuing on. A 22 year old could play a 28 year old as well as can a 30 year old.

I think it has to do with there being more future time jumps. We are jumping ahead it looks like another 5 years next week.

I think it has to do with there being more future time jumps. We are jumping ahead it looks like another 5 years next week.

There's another actor coming in the role or will they decide this one is old enough to age with make-up and prosthetic? Regardless, I prefered the depiction by Milly Alcock and think that actor would have handled the advance quite well. Not by a whole lot. It just seemed different than every movie about English Queens ever, whereas D'Arcy is just channeling those.

Regarding the other actors. First I was all Matt Smith. As it progresses, Paddy Considine is killing it. He'll probably get the lead nominations and Smith the supporting. I could have done with more Harwin and Laena. I liked those characters but they're both toast now.

There's another actor coming in the role or will they decide this one is old enough to age with make-up and prosthetic? Regardless, I prefered the depiction by Milly Alcock and think that actor would have handled the advance quite well. Not by a whole lot. It just seemed different than every movie about English Queens ever, whereas D'Arcy is just channeling those.

Regarding the other actors. First I was all Matt Smith. As it progresses, Paddy Considine is killing it. He'll probably get the lead nominations and Smith the supporting. I could have done with more Harwin and Laena. I liked those characters but they're both toast now.

They will continue to age up the current actors.

I’m guessing they didn’t think the original actors could be aged up to 40+.

I agree that Milly Alcock at 22 could pull off looking 28, but by next week her character will be about 33 with who knows how many more time jumps left on the series.

Tough to find someone who can convincingly play a 15yr old and 40yr old in the same show.

They will continue to age up the current actors.

I’m guessing they didn’t think the original actors could be aged up to 40+.

I agree that Milly Alcock at 22 could pull off looking 28, but by next week her character will be about 33 with who knows how many more time jumps left on the series.

Tough to find someone who can convincingly play a 15yr old and 40yr old in the same show.

Pretty rare. Robbie did it. Young 20s to 40s in one movie. Could have easily done 15-16. Fishburne WAS a young teen when he played a soldier in Apocalypse Now. There's probably others, particularly in TV. Plenty of old people playing young. They could I suppose have had D'Arcy do the whole thing. I wonder why they didn't go that route. Seems fairly easy for decent female actor who don't change as much in stature as males.

Finally got a chance to catch the latest episode:

* Overall a very strong episode that moved the story along and in interesting directions.

* The lighting remains a major problem IMO. The walk along the beach at night featured critical dialogue explaining to us where the story was going. But when you needed to see the characters faces you could not. Anyone that has walked on a beach under a full moon knows you can see quite well and that you actually cast a moon shadow. The "creative" folks involved in this should be shown the door. The poorly lit scenes add nothing to the story and detracts from the visual impact.

Helping a brother out. This is my laptop on normal. I also brightened it up to see what I was missing. Na Da.
If you need anything from the sex-scenes, you're on your on.
face.png

Paddy Considine going to be a hard beat at the Emmy's.
I thought the same things when watching the performance, yes Paddy had a lot of help with the make up crew but I really connected with the character during the course of his run on the show. He didn't have the fun/sexy role but a very important one and I really felt he portrayed well a flawed King just trying to do the right thing while surrounded by bad people playing the game of thrones. I will miss him.

So now who is the person to connect with on this show? I guess I am back to Rhaenyra but she isn't without series flaws, she probably would be the best at ruling but then again she made some really dumb decisions in her life. I may break bad and go for the son with the eye patch, at least you know where he stands and he is always ready to kick some A unlike his rapist brother who is going to be made King. What were those Strong boys thinking when they had that pig delivered in front of him? Didn't they see the monster that was training in the courtyard just waiting to get his revenge? Anyone else think he looks just like Daemon but with an eye patch?

ea37ed8d36b8124241195c9c782ade8b5fa43561.png

Great twist at the end. Just when you think Allicent and Rhaenyra are going to get along, they throw in a wrench delivered by Viserys, who was so out of it that he thought he was talking to his daughter and not his wife (who is going to misinterpret his intentions).

So we have to get a Daemon vs Aemond fight, right?
Have to. Hate the new Aemond’s face though. Long face goofy smirk, he’s annoying to look at. Perfect casting given his personality it seems. How’d he become a giant though?! Towers over everyone in his family except uncle Daemon.

Have to. Hate the new Aemond’s face though. Long face goofy smirk, he’s annoying to look at. Perfect casting given his personality it seems. How’d he become a giant though?! Towers over everyone in his family except uncle Daemon.

Blood line. He's meant to look like Daimond I presume. My thought was the two boy actors reversed would have looked more like the preceding actors. Either Hightower or Targareon, they should both be tallish though. The Strong boys are being portrayed as Viserys mini's. One doesn't even want power and the older hasn't shown the gumption. I was hoping by now, at least one of them would be showing Strong traits. And it's curious that Lery's hasn't attempted any influence, instead the story shifting to Daenary's old squeeze. That's a bit too derivative of Little Finger for my tastes.

Because of the confusion of Fire and Ice and poppys, Alicent is going to fight for Egghead when peace or Aeomon-D should be the one, not the one at conflict with D-aeomon. One review said this was a departure from the book in which power motivated Raenarys. I like this better, a misunderstanding. Aeomond hasn't been depicted as yet of having any loyalty to Egghead so I wonder how that's going to work out.

One review I read remarked on the death of Corly's children, plural. Was there more than the one dead who isn't dead?

Certainly the fact that Daemond and Raeynarys are not even married has to come back to play.

Last edited:

My first thought was he'd make a great younger version of Legolas.

Daemon helping Viserys up the steps to the throne was improvised on set after Paddy Considine accidentally dropped the crown. Ended up being arguably the best part of the episode IMO.

Daemon helping Viserys up the steps to the throne was improvised on set after Paddy Considine accidentally dropped the crown. Ended up being arguably the best part of the episode IMO.

It will go down as one of the classic, not scripted scenes then.

It was a great scene as was but was getting a bit long. That bit kind of gave it a second act and brought a little something to the brother relationship I think many could identify with.

The two best scenes in the series so far have not been battles but boss walks establishing tension, give the director credit for going against the grain here. By the way we have to have one big battle scene before the end of season 1, don't we? Might not be soldiers duking it out so I am guessing we get a dragon fight?

Great interview in the NY Times with Paddy:

Of note:

Have you seen your death episode yet?

No, I haven’t, and I’m not sure if I ever will. I haven’t seen anything beyond Episode 2, really. Some people don’t like to watch themselves, and I’m one of those people. It’s debilitating. I tend to just stay away. I’m sure somebody will show me a photograph.

Vaemond had to have some followers. Potential battles there, sea and air particularly if his change sides to the Three whatevers.

High Tower and Targarian is the long story, I don't think any battles there. They'll probably play the proxy war game.