Game of the Year: Sierra Canyon vs ASVSM in the Scholastic Play by Play Classic (12/14)

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
This looks like it might be the most anticipated game in the OHSAA regular season in quite a while. I suspect the game will likely sell out, especially being apart of a multi-game event.

Looks like tickets are $18-$25 for the all-day event. (Link)

Game is supposed to start at 8:30pm.

December 14th Schedule:
Nationwide Arena

3:00pm Thomas Worthington vs Columbus South
4:45pm Pickerington Central vs Buchtel
6:30pm Pickerington North vs Hilliard Bradley
8:30pm Sierra Canyon (CA) vs St Vincent-St Mary

Why will this be a highly anticipated game? I understand if St V had Livingston or a star but they really do not have that. They have some very good players but I do not think anybody thinks they are a top 3 or so team in Ohio. If Sierra Canyon is good like they usually are it will be a route. Like the TMZ lovers will love this game but why is this a great game for OHSAA?

Why will this be a highly anticipated game?
LeBron's son versus his alma mater. When I look back at the last 20 years, the most hyped players I can remember were LeBron, Mayo, and Kennard. When those players played in a game, it was a big deal. For the right reason or not, LeBron's son(s) will be in the spotlight wherever they play over the next few years. Coming back to Ohio and playing Dad's alma mater will be a big deal.

LeBron's son versus his alma mater. When I look back at the last 20 years, the most hyped players I can remember were LeBron, Mayo, and Kennard. When those players played in a game, it was a big deal. For the right reason or not, LeBron's son(s) will be in the spotlight wherever they play over the next few years. Coming back to Ohio and playing Dad's alma mater will be a big deal.

I guess somewhat...

Big game as far as hype, but I was at the Spire blowout last year, and I think that this will be an even bigger blowout than that. Pick Central vs Buchtel would have been good, maybe not anymore now that Livingston is gone.

Fan Sided did a article speculating this Sierra Canyon team might be the best HS team ever:

Roster includes : And Projected Colleges
LeBron James jr. Duke 6'2
Zaire Wade North Carolina 6'3
Terren Frank 4* Choice of Colleges 6'7
Zaire Williams 5* 6'8 On FIFA under 19 World Team Gold Medal
BJ Boston 5* Kentucky 6'6
Amari Bailey ( Future 5* ) 6'4
H. Yu 7'3 300lbs

Fan Sided did a article speculating this Sierra Canyon team might be the best HS team ever:

Roster includes : And Projected Colleges
LeBron James jr. Duke 6'2
Zaire Wade North Carolina 6'3
Terren Frank 4* Choice of Colleges 6'7
Zaire Williams 5* 6'8 On FIFA under 19 World Team Gold Medal
BJ Boston 5* Kentucky 6'6
Amari Bailey ( Future 5* ) 6'4
H. Yu 7'3 300lbs
Just a side note Ziaire Williams isn’t eligible until Dec 29th due to California’s transfer rule

Highlights from Sierra Canyon's first game.

Bronny seems like a very good player but not the star of the team. Definitely some differences between him and his Dad. He seems thicker and stronger but not as athletic. Looks to be a very good outside shooter. The pressure on him is a little unfair because he will never measure up to his Dad (likely no one will).

Bronny's always been more of a shooter and passer than a big man. His shooting is very good, but he really is a passer, first and foremost. Being a freshman on a nationally-ranked team, I would imagine he will be a second stringer for most of the year. Although, if their first game is any indication, he might play a lot of minutes due to blowout games.

BTW, it's been estimated that the younger brother, Bryce, might be the bigger of the two boys, but I think Bronny has more natural talent.

Highlights from Sierra Canyon's first game.

Bronny seems like a very good player but not the star of the team. Definitely some differences between him and his Dad. He seems thicker and stronger but not as athletic. Looks to be a very good outside shooter. The pressure on him is a little unfair because he will never measure up to his Dad (likely no one will).

Have you seen video of LeBron as a frosh in HS? Bronny is better at this point IMO.

While the Irish have one of the better teams in Ohio, if they can stay within 20 points of Sierra Canyon it'll be impressive!

Interesting article about how Sierra Canyon became a basketball superpower:

Interesting article. It really is fun to watch and talk about these super teams. It is also everything that is wrong in HS sports.

An interesting article. This speaks volumes: