Future of the SWBL

those are the only two Cincy-area schools I would consider, but doubt it happens.
I had heard from a decent source that Talawanda, Edgewood and Ross were a package deal. So I don't believe it's an option to just take on 2 of them. I was also told that this movement was already in motion for these 3 schools to join the SWBL. Doesn't mean it will happen, but the discussions are already taking place. As for Clinton Massie/Wilmington, it makes sense to me, but I'm not sure if it's realistically in the talks yet.

Madison has posted their head coaching job. What happened?

Young guy that was just in over his head. The unprecedented success Madison had the ('17-'18) was going to be really hard to duplicate or exceed for any coach, let alone a 20 something guy just getting started. I'm sure the job will get some interest this time around.

Young guy that was just in over his head. The unprecedented success Madison had the ('17-'18) was going to be really hard to duplicate or exceed for any coach, let alone a 20 something guy just getting started. I'm sure the job will get some interest this time around.
they didn't have a bad season last year especially considering all the talent they had lost.

I agree, and if you were to compare the typical Madison season from the past 15-20 years. They were right on target.
you're right. and they would usually beat waynesville, they just happened to be up this year. I don't think he was a bad coach by any means, actually pretty impressed when I saw them at a 7on7. he did have some pretty unreal expectations, yes, but I don't think he was completely in over his head, especially having Poff still on his staff.

you're right. and they would usually beat waynesville, they just happened to be up this year. I don't think he was a bad coach by any means, actually pretty impressed when I saw them at a 7on7. he did have some pretty unreal expectations, yes, but I don't think he was completely in over his head, especially having Poff still on his staff.

The X/O part is rarely the tough part.

Dealing with parents, admin, youth program, etc. Is a whole different story and that is where I am hearing he was "in over his head".

Madison records since 2005
2005: 5-5
2006: 1-9
2007: 4-6
2008: 5-5
2009: 3-7
2010: 4-6
2011: 4-6
2012: 4-6
2013: 5-5
2014: 5-5
2015: 7-3
2016: 7-3
2017: 8-2
2018: 10-0
2019: 5-5
4 winning seasons out of 15. It might be normal cycles hitting Madison and not coaching.

Last edited:
Milton records since 2005
2005: 8-2 SW division
2006: 9-1 SW division
2007: 9-1 SW division
2008: 3-7 SW division
2009: 6-4 SW division
2010: 4-6 Buckeye starting in 2010.
2011: 8-2
2012: 8-2
2013: 2-8
2014: 3-7
2015: 6-4
2017: 4-6
2018: 6-4
2019: 8-2
5 losing seasons in 15.

Last edited:
Madison records since 2005
2005: 5-5
2006: 1-9
2007: 4-6
2008: 5-5
2009: 3-7
2010: 4-6
2011: 4-6
2012: 4-6
2013: 5-5
2014: 7-3
2015: 7-3
2017: 8-2
2018: 10-0
2019: 5-5
5 winning seasons out of 15. It might be normal cycles hitting Madison and not coaching.
Madison was actually 5-5 in 2014, so 4 winning seasons in 15 years. In the 30 years before 2015, Madison only had 5 winning seasons in the last 30 years. Steve Poff is the winningest coach in Madison history coaching for 5 years.

He was a great coach. Milton has benefitted from really great coaching. Pearce and Lane have done a great job since 2000. Prior to that we didn’t have good coaching after Magoteaux left in 1984-85. The 90s were a disaster with Christello and Engle. Sergent wasn’t given enough time (2-years).It only took Pearce 3 seasons and he was in the playoffs.

Last edited:
You have to have the players, but great coaches can make good players great. They understand what it takes to win, and that is a myriad of things- not just x's and o's. Pearce is obviously a great coach. Poff knows every aspect of football-and he got that way by studying and watching others.

I’d love to see Madison get a long-term coach like Poff. The community supports well there.
Carlisle and Waynesville have had coaching issues. Waynesville has a great young coach now.

I’d love to see Madison get a long-term coach like Poff. The community supports well there.
Carlisle and Waynesville have had coaching issues. Waynesville has a great young coach now.
actually heard that if waynesville's coach didn't have a solid year this year, he was out. I heard this from a fan at the Greenon-Waynesville scrimmage back in August. but he ended up having a terrific year- albeit one head scratching loss to Greeneview.

Is the SWBL going to reach out to other schools about adding to the conference to help with realignment or do schools have to apply to them. If so I hope they reach out to Massie or Massie applies. I have watched this league Massie is in right now and it hasn’t been good. We left this same conference once and now we are back. It’s just as bad if not worse. SWBL would raise the level of play from the word go.

Is the SWBL going to reach out to other schools about adding to the conference to help with realignment or do schools have to apply to them. If so I hope they reach out to Massie or Massie applies. I have watched this league Massie is in right now and it hasn’t been good. We left this same conference once and now we are back. It’s just as bad if not worse. SWBL would raise the level of play from the word go.
Would Massie come if Wilmington wasn't interested?

Enrollment will be an issue for Carlisle and Waynesville. Brookville, Oakwood and Eaton won’t be affected by the larger schools. CM, Washington, Edgewood and Talawanda would be great additions. Madison is growing.

Enrollment will be an issue for Carlisle and Waynesville. Brookville, Oakwood and Eaton won’t be affected by the larger schools. CM, Washington, Edgewood and Talawanda would be great additions. Madison is growing.
I do think it will be an issue for Carlisle. But I'm not sure about Waynesville. Waynesville seems to have an overall strong athletic program. They have a higher enrollment than Carlisle/Brookville/Madison and they are about the exact same size as Eaton. In terms of being competitive, they seem to be as competitive as anyone. Won a share of the Buckeye division in basketball last year, tired for the lead this year. Won the Buckeye division in football this year (even beat Bellbrook). Won the Buckeye division in baseball this past year. Won the Buckeye division in boys soccer this year. I know there could be times where they struggle, I just don't know why they would struggle with larger schools more than teams like Brookville/Oakwood/Eaton. It seems to me that Waynesville would do better than them.

As for the great additions. You have to add Ross as Edgewood/Talawanda/Ross are a package deal.

I do think it will be an issue for Carlisle. But I'm not sure about Waynesville. Waynesville seems to have an overall strong athletic program. They have a higher enrollment than Carlisle/Brookville/Madison and they are about the exact same size as Eaton. In terms of being competitive, they seem to be as competitive as anyone. Won a share of the Buckeye division in basketball last year, tired for the lead this year. Won the Buckeye division in football this year (even beat Bellbrook). Won the Buckeye division in baseball this past year. Won the Buckeye division in boys soccer this year. I know there could be times where they struggle, I just don't know why they would struggle with larger schools more than teams like Brookville/Oakwood/Eaton. It seems to me that Waynesville would do better than them.

As for the great additions. You have to add Ross as Edgewood/Talawanda/Ross are a package deal.
Waynesville is about to grow assuming no annexations from Centerville. The corner where Springboro, Centerville and Waynesville come together near Social Row Rd is being built rather quickly now. Once new infrastructure is in place between Centerville and Bellebrook, Waynesville will be the cheaper option for a new home and new homes bring growing families.

New Miami coach Hubbard takes the Madison job.
Not sure this is a good move for Hubbard. When the four schools that are leaving the SWBL go after next season, I think Madison is in trouble. They have had some decent seasons the last few years, but when things get back to normal where 4-6 and 5-5 has been the norm, 3 and sometimes 4 of those wins come from those teams. Year in and year out, Madison cannot and will not compete with Franklin, Bellbrook, VV and even Monroe. New Miami is set up for long term success. The MVC Grey division is a cake walk. He was picking his own OCC games without AD interference. Bad years at New Miami moving forward might be 6-4 and 5-5. Good years at Madison might be 4-6 or 5-5.

When Milton was in the SW they won two titles and almost a third. Only one in the Buckeye. I’m not sold on the fact that Madison can’t complete.