Future of the SWBL

Trotwood just isn't a good fit anywhere. Their sports teams are either extremely good (football, basketball, and track), extremely bad (see below), or nonexistent (see below). The end result is very uncompetitive games. According to
the GWOC website Trotwood had the following records in the final year the GWOC had 20 schools (2018-2019)
Boys soccer 0-15
Volleyball 0-18
Girls soccer 3-11-2 (2-7-1 league)
Boys cross country No team
Girls Cross Country No Team
Boys Golf No Team
Girls Golf No Team
Girls Tennis 2-11 (2-8 league)
Wrestling 17th out of 20 place league meet
Boys Swim Tied for last league meet
Girls Swim No team (only school to have a pool in your high school)
Boys Bowling 0-14
Girls Bowling 0-14
Baseball 3-17 (0-13 league)
Softball 3-19 (0-14 league)
Boys Tennis 6-13 (2-8 league)

That's 12 sports that either failed to field a team or failed to win a league game. It's going to be tough to find a league that wants a school with such extremes.

I think that BigArrow is right. If the SWBL only adds large schools then the smaller schools don't have an incentive to stay. Those crossover games would be lopsided affairs.

Trotwood just isn't a good fit anywhere. Their sports teams are either extremely good (football, basketball, and track), extremely bad (see below), or nonexistent (see below). The end result is very uncompetitive games. According to
the GWOC website Trotwood had the following records in the final year the GWOC had 20 schools (2018-2019)
Boys soccer 0-15
Volleyball 0-18
Girls soccer 3-11-2 (2-7-1 league)
Boys cross country No team
Girls Cross Country No Team
Boys Golf No Team
Girls Golf No Team
Girls Tennis 2-11 (2-8 league)
Wrestling 17th out of 20 place league meet
Boys Swim Tied for last league meet
Girls Swim No team (only school to have a pool in your high school)
Boys Bowling 0-14
Girls Bowling 0-14
Baseball 3-17 (0-13 league)
Softball 3-19 (0-14 league)
Boys Tennis 6-13 (2-8 league)

That's 12 sports that either failed to field a team or failed to win a league game. It's going to be tough to find a league that wants a school with such extremes.

The pool in the school is ridiculously nice. How exactly does one pay for that in the Trotwood district? Considering their lack of swimmers, it seems to be a huge waste of tax payer money. The upkeep of that on a yearly basis has to be through the roof.

not taxpayers. Good Sam. Their entire athletic facilities were "Good Samaritan Sports Complex". I assume the Valley has renamed them, but all payed for by the hospital.

I think that BigArrow is right. If the SWBL only adds large schools then the smaller schools don't have an incentive to stay. Those crossover games would be lopsided affairs.
Would they be forced to play crossover games? If they add the schools we've been discussing, and just for the fun of it lets say that Clinton Massie is the 4th team added. So we have something like the below split... there would be 6 games in your division leaving 4 weeks open. A Carlisle vs. Clinton Massie crossover game would be pretty bad. Some schools on the small school side like VV, Madison, Waynesville and Brookville would be competitive in the crossovers.

Big Schools - Ross, Edgewood, Talawanda, Franklin, Monroe, Bellbrook, Clinton Massie
Small Schools - Brookville, Waynesville, Carlisle, Madison, Valley View, Eaton, Oakwood

Trotwood-Madison and the whole racial affair is a dead deal on this thread. Trotwood-Madison is not a good fit in the SWBL anymore. Period.
With MU leaving it leaves a hole where football is concerned. Adding Clinton-Massie would more than fill that hole. Also, every league needs a hyphen school. ???
Milton’s schedule gets a boost next year with the addition of Covington. Thoughts?

Trotwood-Madison and the whole racial affair is a dead deal on this thread. Trotwood-Madison is not a good fit in the SWBL anymore. Period.
With MU leaving it leaves a hole where football is concerned. Adding Clinton-Massie would more than fill that hole. Also, every league needs a hyphen school. ???
Milton’s schedule gets a boost next year with the addition of Covington. Thoughts?
curious to why they scheduled milton- just a one year deal to start playing them before the TRC starts? i know Covington had to drop Minster for this. oh well.

I think adding Covington to the schedule is a boost for MU. Covington has been, and will be good for a very long time. That school has a lot of football tradition. They could be a good rivalry for MU. In all honesty a league with Covington, Miami East, Bethel and MU just makes a lot of sense and could be a good league for all the schools.

As for Clinton Massie. I just looked up travel times for all the schools that would be in the bigger school division of the league. The travel is not great, but it's actually not as bad as I though it would be. I think adding Massie would be huge for the league.

i would go with massie, if i were them. massie should 100% pursue a dayton area league, and play a nonconference consisting of wilmington and whoever else. imagine yearly massie and franklin/VV matchups! i’m sorry but the SBAAC is just weak in football outside massie.

i would go with massie, if i were them. massie should 100% pursue a dayton area league, and play a nonconference consisting of wilmington and whoever else. imagine yearly massie and franklin/VV matchups! i’m sorry but the SBAAC is just weak in football outside massie.
I think Massie vs. VV/Bellbrook/Franklin would be good. Ross made the playoffs last year and Talawanda went 7-3. There would be some solid football just inside the conference. Does anyone know if Clinton Massie has been in the discussion at all realistically? Or is this just wishful thinking by all of us on the message boards?

As a CM fan I would love the SWBL. The league CM is in now is weak at best.

It's horrible and maybe starting to rear its ugly head for Massie....they played Avon Lake tough and beat Hartley early, but then didn't play another meaningful game...two years in a row they exited the playoffs earlier than expected. Five straight weeks of fluff doesn't do them any good.

I just don’t see Carlisle and Madison staying happy in this league I’ve heard they both wanted out when the four that are leaving left but neither of the new leagues thought they were a good fit guess you have to be happy when there’s no where to go

teaming up in a league with CHCA and other equal size cincy schools would be their best second option, and i don’t think that would happen

Just saw the western brown coach resigned. That’s now 2 schools in the American division of the SBC that have had coaches leave. There is a reason for this....because that league is going nowhere. I have no idea how leagues work but if the SWBL would extend an invitation to CM I would think they would have to accept it. It would be an instant upgrade in all sports for them. On top of that, it would be much better media coverage. I can imagine the credibility that league would have in football. Between VV,Bellbrook, Madison, Franklin, Waynesville, CM and even Monroe and Carlisle... none are strangers to the playoffs and several state titles. The SBC isn’t getting anyone in the playoffs with any consistency. If they do make it it is because they scheduled powder puffs or their region is really weak in most cases. Hopefully something happens because it sounds like the SWBL may need some help and so does CM.

Just saw the western brown coach resigned. That’s now 2 schools in the American division of the SBC that have had coaches leave. There is a reason for this....because that league is going nowhere. I have no idea how leagues work but if the SWBL would extend an invitation to CM I would think they would have to accept it. It would be an instant upgrade in all sports for them. On top of that, it would be much better media coverage. I can imagine the credibility that league would have in football. Between VV,Bellbrook, Madison, Franklin, Waynesville, CM and even Monroe and Carlisle... none are strangers to the playoffs and several state titles. The SBC isn’t getting anyone in the playoffs with any consistency. If they do make it it is because they scheduled powder puffs or their region is really weak in most cases. Hopefully something happens because it sounds like the SWBL may need some help and so does CM.
that area of the state is generally weaker in football (massie is an exception), western brown, bethel tate, and blanchester have made the playoffs but they usually get stomped. new richmond and goshen have had a little more success but not much. it is kind of a weird conference, if i were east clinton, blanchester, fayetteville, wilmington, and clinton massie, i would pursue a different league and let the southern schools figure something else out (there are options in cincy). i’d like to see western brown figure something out with hillsboro, etc,

Any chance that Wilmington would be that fourth team if not CM? Or Xenia?
Xenia, absolutely not. Wilmington and Massie are a package deal in my opinion. if i’m the SWBL, i’d add the two and go big and small again, to keep Madison, Waynesville, and Carlisle happy. no need for the southern cincy schools.

Xenia, absolutely not. Wilmington and Massie are a package deal in my opinion. if i’m the SWBL, i’d add the two and go big and small again, to keep Madison, Waynesville, and Carlisle happy. no need for the southern cincy schools.
So add Wilmington and Massie and then split like?..... The only thing I'd be unsure about this is should Oakwood or VV be in the big school side, and then could Waynesville get both Wilmington and Massie as crossover games? Geographically it makes sense.

Big School Division: Wilmington, Massie, Bellbrook, Franklin, Monroe, Valley View
Small School Division: Brookville, Madison, Carlisle, Waynesville, Eaton, Oakwood

So add Wilmington and Massie and then split like?..... The only thing I'd be unsure about this is should Oakwood or VV be in the big school side, and then could Waynesville get both Wilmington and Massie as crossover games? Geographically it makes sense.

Big School Division: Wilmington, Massie, Bellbrook, Franklin, Monroe, Valley View
Small School Division: Brookville, Madison, Carlisle, Waynesville, Eaton, Oakwood
that’s exactly how i would do it, and guarantee waynesville two crossovers- massie and then one of bellbrook or wilmington (if it were me, take wilmington as the other and schedule bellbrook as week 1, that’s an awesome game!) oakwood can’t compete with the big schools consistently, valley view can. i think this scenario should make everyone happy, not a huge size gap and each division is pretty competitive any given year. massie gets a guaranteed 3-4 solid/great harbin games a year, and wilmington gets a solid conference to be apart of while staying with massie. don’t think anyone can complain in this scenario.

Last edited:
As a Massie fan I would not package Wilmington with CM unless the league wanted it that way. The only reason is that there is and has been a difference in the size of the two schools which could cause a problem. As far as competition, I would like to see them and Massie get in the SWBL in a big school division. Would make for very profitable gates and great competition.

Oakwood should stay big and Valley View small. Oakwood would not compete in football, but that community is OK with that. they will win all the country club sports and be happy. Unless the split is only for football and stay 10 teams for some sports?

I would still like to see Edgewood and Talawanda come over personally. I know Talawanda could cause traveling problems for Wilmington/CM

I think your point is pretty valid from a media coverage standpoint. The SBC gets minimal coverage by the Cincinnati-area media. Even the years that Clinton Massie won (and was runner-up) state, the coverage was not near the same as if a team from within the core-4 counties would have won. Most SBL teams are one and done in the playoffs and offer fewer eyeballs. Even when Williamsburg won state in softball a few years ago I thought their coverage was fairly light.

Oakwood should stay big and Valley View small. Oakwood would not compete in football, but that community is OK with that. they will win all the country club sports and be happy. Unless the split is only for football and stay 10 teams for some sports?
I'm sure it would be 12 teams for all sports, but if they made the football alignment different, sure. it can work. I think that valley view is a better fit in the big school, and oakwood isn't growing any. valley view can, but I have no idea if they are or if they will. Oakwood playing Brookville, Carlisle, Waynesville, Madison, and Eaton is probably best. they can have crossovers with Bellbrook and Monroe/Valley View/Franklin. besides, who wouldn't want to see Valley View play Massie, Franklin, etc on a yearly basis?