Future of scoreboards in HS basketball - Fully digital scoreboards?

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Fully digital scoreboards. Is this the future of scoreboards in HS basketball?

Seems in the long run, these could be cheaper and far more versatile.

Mr. Slippery

Seem like a waste of money
I don't know how much they cost, but they offer the potential to generate more advertising revenue to help offset the cost over the life of the board. There's no limit to how many ads you can run on these things vs. how much space there is for ad panels on the more traditional scoreboards. The digital boards also enable the school to show things like pregame hype videos, halftime stats, senior tribute videos, and postings about upcoming events for other sports teams without much difficulty. I attended a game at Cardinal Mooney last year and liked what I saw. Additionally, the board software offers a variety of layouts that can be toggled through during the game. The only problem is the displays can be extremely bright which is potentially problematic for some players who have a history of concussions.

Another thing I have seen some schools have is a scorer's table with a TV/monitor built into the front of it to run a slideshow of ads during the entire game.

Slightly off topic but I know Cedarville University does something similar with a projector while still having actual scoreboard. I think that may be more cost effective for most schools.

tcgobucks

With the cost of digital boards dropping, I would think that most schools are going to go to them when it comes time to replace their current boards. As others have mentioned ad revenue can cover a significant portion of the cost of the boards.

James x2

Like that board but I prefer to see the player # and fouls+ pts in addition to the usual scoreboard info. If you could put that into a digital format great.

Caleb

Fully digital scoreboards. Is this the future of scoreboards in HS basketball?

Seems in the long run, these could be cheaper and far more versatile.
I'm going to be honest and plead stupidity here. Other then this being a scoreboard, what am I looking at that's so special? What am I missing?

eastisbest

I'm going to be honest and plead stupidity here. Other then this being a scoreboard, what am I looking at that's so special? What am I missing?
It plays Netflix. ;)

Flexibility.

For the "waste of money" crowd,
A 76in tv costs less than a $1000, is wi-fi ready and bigger than most scoreboards. Cost more to make a wooden scoreboard with letter lights that needs wires run.