Full D2 State Track Results Prior to 2000

I'm looking for the full state meet results for meets prior to 2000. OSHAA has only the top-6 or 8 listed on their website. In particular I'm looking for division 2 boys and girls. There had to be a release of all results at these meets. It's amazing to me that they aren't on OSHAA's site.

Any Central District D2 or Region 6 D2 would be greatly appreciated as well. Central Catholic League too.

I'm putting a top-20 list together for our team and I'm also on a quest to find and publish these results on Athletic.net and Milesplit so that others can use them in the future.

Thanks!

Are you sure this doesn't meet your needs?

Up through 1998, only the top 6 scored and were listed with results. Otherwise, you'd have to go to local newspapers for anything else. As far as any preliminary results, you would have to have been there to get the Saturday morning sheets for preliminary running results, or you would've had to have been there either day to look on the large boards they had posted in the stadium at that time. I still have a few that took down at the end of those days stored away. The days before timing companies & the internet were a SCRAMBLE for results!

Here are some additional links for you:

1998 Ohio Results - https://archive.dyestat.com/8out/us/results/ohio.html
1998 Nationally - https://archive.dyestat.com/8out/us/index.htm
1999 Nationally - https://archive.dyestat.com/9out/us/index.htm

If you are hoping that Athletic.net or Milesplit, you are hoping against hope. They are only good for the past 12 years or so. Go before then, and results start thinning out as results were sent to a number of different sites, including Baumspage, which you SHOULD do searches on for stuff before 2008.

Do lots of searches on the Dyestat Archives. Tons of stuff there.

Before 2000, you've got to go to the Columbus Public Library & surrounding libraries and look at their microfilm. Lots of stuff there. That's how I've done my research on the state meet itself, back to 1908, and the pre-1908 meet tournament from 1905-07.

Hope that helps.

Sixteen qualfied to state from the regional meets in 1979. The state meet program shows three heats, 6, 5, and 5. The back of the program shows a track oval with only six lanes. Did OSU's track only have six lanes back then? Also remember that events were in yards from 1979 on back.

Here are some additional links for you:

1998 Ohio Results - https://archive.dyestat.com/8out/us/results/ohio.html
1998 Nationally - https://archive.dyestat.com/8out/us/index.htm
1999 Nationally - https://archive.dyestat.com/9out/us/index.htm

If you are hoping that Athletic.net or Milesplit, you are hoping against hope. They are only good for the past 12 years or so. Go before then, and results start thinning out as results were sent to a number of different sites, including Baumspage, which you SHOULD do searches on for stuff before 2008.

Do lots of searches on the Dyestat Archives. Tons of stuff there.

Before 2000, you've got to go to the Columbus Public Library & surrounding libraries and look at their microfilm. Lots of stuff there. That's how I've done my research on the state meet itself, back to 1908, and the pre-1908 meet tournament from 1905-07.

Hope that helps.
Thank you! I only had the boys results in 1998. I have been adding results to Athletic.net when I get them, but you are right...they thin out a lot. If I can find them, I will format then add them. I've also scoured Baumspage but they seem to end in 2001. I've been to the Columbus Library and through Microfilm for about 20 years. I'm up to 1995. The problem is that for most meets they only show the 1st place time and for the district, regional and state results they only show the qualifiers and/or placers. I've gone through the dispatch. If there is a better paper for this, please let me know. Really appreciate it!

Thank you! I only had the boys results in 1998. I have been adding results to Athletic.net when I get them, but you are right...they thin out a lot. If I can find them, I will format then add them. I've also scoured Baumspage but they seem to end in 2001. I've been to the Columbus Library and through Microfilm for about 20 years. I'm up to 1995. The problem is that for most meets they only show the 1st place time and for the district, regional and state results they only show the qualifiers and/or placers. I've gone through the dispatch. If there is a better paper for this, please let me know. Really appreciate it!

I know your pain :)

Are you sure this doesn't meet your needs?

Up through 1998, only the top 6 scored and were listed with results. Otherwise, you'd have to go to local newspapers for anything else. As far as any preliminary results, you would have to have been there to get the Saturday morning sheets for preliminary running results, or you would've had to have been there either day to look on the large boards they had posted in the stadium at that time. I still have a few that took down at the end of those days stored away. The days before timing companies & the internet were a SCRAMBLE for results!

Thank you. However, I've been through the OSHAA site. With only the top-6, I can't see how the Hartley kids who didn't place. It very easily be their best time of the year.

Those results you took down are exactly what I'm looking for! If you have a chance to take a picture of them, I would be grateful.

Thanks!

Thank you. However, I've been through the OSHAA site. With only the top-6, I can't see how the Hartley kids who didn't place. It very easily be their best time of the year.

Those results you took down are exactly what I'm looking for! If you have a chance to take a picture of them, I would be grateful.

Thanks!
I'll go back through my late 90s files and see if there's anything I can provide for you outside the top 6.

Sixteen qualfied to state from the regional meets in 1979. The state meet program shows three heats, 6, 5, and 5. The back of the program shows a track oval with only six lanes. Did OSU's track only have six lanes back then? Also remember that events were in yards from 1979 on back.
Technically, there were no regional meets in 1979. The tournament format was sectional-district-state at that time. Regional meets existed from '65-'70 when there were only 2 classes/divisions (the AA schools from the Akron-Canton area competed at the regional meet at Worthington) and then disappeared when the sport was restructured into 3 classes in '71. The district-regional-state tournament format reappeared in 1982 and has remained with us to the present-day

If you're super curious, the number of state qualifiers each district was allocated for the 1979 state meet were as follows:
AAA: NW - 2, NE - 7, SW - 4, C E and SE combined to hold a single District meet which sent 3 to state. Yes, an athlete could potentially not score at the NE District Meet yet still qualify to state.
AA: NW - 3, NE - 4, C - 3, SW, 3, E and SE combined to hold a single District meet which sent 3 to state.
A: NW - 5, NE - 3, SE -2, SW - 3, C and E combined to hold a single District meet which sent 3 to state.

The allocations for each District weren't always the same for the boys and girls in their respective class/division. That just happened to be the case in 1979.

Mr. Slippery, are you stating that their was NO sectional in your area from '71-'81 ? If so, that certainly did NOT apply in SW Ohio. Every year from '65-'81 had an intermediate meet between the local (sectional) and state. That meet was referred to as district up until '82 and was held at Welcome Stadium from '65 all the way up until well into the 2010s.

Please clarify.

Mr. Slippery, are you stating that their was NO sectional in your area from '71-'81 ? If so, that certainly did NOT apply in SW Ohio. Every year from '65-'81 had an intermediate meet between the local (sectional) and state. That meet was referred to as district up until '82 and was held at Welcome Stadium from '65 all the way up until well into the 2010s.

Please clarify.

No.

What I stated is that there were no regional meets from '71-'81. There was a round of the tournament between Sectionals and State, but the OHSAA didn't use the term "Regional." The terminology from '71-'81 was Sectional-District-State. It's mostly semantics, but the terms can carry a deeper meaning with regard to who is competing, who is in charge, and who gets the gate revenue. The number of qualifiers from District to State was based on the percentage of schools the District had for that particular class and gender. The older posters around here know that, but there are some younger posters lurking who may not have been aware of that. Heck, I was barely alive when the Regionals re-entered the mix in 1982.

In those days, unless the newspaper stated in the results summary how many in each event were qualifying to state, it was a little extra work to determine. You'd hope the newspapers covering the other District meets included that info and could then do some subtraction. For research purposes, it's far easier to look at results and determine who qualified to state from 1982-2017 because all regional meets were sending the top 4 to state in each event. 2018 and 2019 gave us the bonus of the at-large qualifiers.

On an unrelated note, have you ever encountered any explanation as to why some events sent less than 4 qualifiers to state when Regionals existed from '65-'70? The particular events I'm curious about are both of the hurdle events and the 880. My school had a high hurdler qualify to state out of the North Canton District in '64. Enter the Regional meet nomenclature in '65. In '65, he placed 4th at the Worthington Regional, but only the top 3 qualified to State in that event. He ended up playing football at Dayton and as of a few years ago, he was still actively competing in the Senior Olympics. At that same Regional in '67, my school had a different athlete finish 4th in the high hurdles, but only 3 qualified to State. That particular gentleman went on to have a solid track and field career at Mount Union and has worked as an official for many years. Only the top 3 qualified in the 180yd. low hurdles and the 880 as well during those years. Would you or anyone else out there happen to know why that was the case for those 3 events when all other events were qualifying the top 4 from Regionals to State?

Last edited:
I can remember being at a coaches meeting when they went from District-Regional-State to Sectional-District-State. There was grumbling that it was being done for financial reasons since there weren't any medals given out at Sectionals. They were given out at the first level (District) previously. I have a district medal to prove it.

There are at least eight lanes in this antique image

Attachments

• 102_2424.JPG
    102_2424.JPG
    209.7 KB · Views: 26
Thank you Mr. Slippery for the clarification and additional info.

I myself competed at the District meet in '81 @ Dayton, then in '83 @ the Region meet @ Dayton - in 2 COMPLETELY DIFFERENT field event disciplines, the pole vault in '81, and the discus in '83.

However, I am a little younger than Lancermania!

Anybody out there have any Ohio Track meet results prior to 2000. Someone must have the full state meet results for all 16 competitors to state meets prior to 2000. (I have the full 1998) Also looking for district or regional results prior to 2000. If you have them, I'm on a quest to get this stuff digitized and on Athletic.net and milesplit. Just send me a picture and I'll do the rest. Thank you!

Anybody out there have any Ohio Track meet results prior to 2000. Someone must have the full state meet results for all 16 competitors to state meets prior to 2000. (I have the full 1998) Also looking for district or regional results prior to 2000. If you have them, I'm on a quest to get this stuff digitized and on Athletic.net and milesplit. Just send me a picture and I'll do the rest. Thank you!

Do you have access to the State Meet programs for each of those years? If so, you've got all the qualifiers going into the state meets. I have my own copies from 1989-1996, but before then there are others on here that have various earlier programs. Otherwise, get a subscription to https://newspaperarchive.com/ and you'll be able to search for a lot of results of the past.

Trust me, there is NO collective archive out there. Once this COVID crap is done with, I'll be resuming my own research efforts in the State meet results back to 1908 (and the pre-state meets of 1905-07), but also of the Dayton Regional going back to 1965, and the SW Ohio district meets other than Cincinnati going back to 1923.

I believe Lancermania on here has complete state meet programs back for some time, maybe back to 1971? I do have access to the 1966 state meet program as well, but I don't remember how detailed the results out of those regionals were.

I have state meet programs going back to 1960. The first program that actually show the marks for all state meet qualifiers was 1968. Prior to that only the winning mark from each regional was shown.,

Love that bit of information, Lancermania! Together, we grow the body of knowledge of the sport!

Do you have access to the State Meet programs for each of those years? If so, you've got all the qualifiers going into the state meets. I have my own copies from 1989-1996, but before then there are others on here that have various earlier programs. Otherwise, get a subscription to https://newspaperarchive.com/ and you'll be able to search for a lot of results of the past.

Trust me, there is NO collective archive out there. Once this COVID crap is done with, I'll be resuming my own research efforts in the State meet results back to 1908 (and the pre-state meets of 1905-07), but also of the Dayton Regional going back to 1965, and the SW Ohio district meets other than Cincinnati going back to 1923.

I believe Lancermania on here has complete state meet programs back for some time, maybe back to 1971? I do have access to the 1966 state meet program as well, but I don't remember how detailed the results out of those regionals were.
I am new to this website and I was online searching for OHSAA D3 district and regional track meet results from 1995. I competed in both of these meets and I have been trying to find any type of information or results from both the 1995 D3 District and Regional meets. I was looking on here and I seen that some have results from past state meets, but unfortunately I didn't make it to the state meet lol!!! I just wanted to ask and see if maybe you or anyone else may have any results or anything from the 1995 D3 District and Regional meets. I know that there is different regions within D3 and I'm prolly not gonna find anything from back then but u never know till u ask!!! If you could possibly point me in the right direction or if u know anyone that may have something from then I would greatly appreciate any help I can get.

I am new to this website and I was online searching for OHSAA D3 district and regional track meet results from 1995. I competed in both of these meets and I have been trying to find any type of information or results from both the 1995 D3 District and Regional meets. I was looking on here and I seen that some have results from past state meets, but unfortunately I didn't make it to the state meet lol!!! I just wanted to ask and see if maybe you or anyone else may have any results or anything from the 1995 D3 District and Regional meets. I know that there is different regions within D3 and I'm prolly not gonna find anything from back then but u never know till u ask!!! If you could possibly point me in the right direction or if u know anyone that may have something from then I would greatly appreciate any help I can get.
Do you remember what sites you went to for District and Regional? That would help people help you locate results.

I am new to this website and I was online searching for OHSAA D3 district and regional track meet results from 1995. I competed in both of these meets and I've been trying to find any type of information or results from both the 1995 D3 District and Regional meets. I was looking on here and I seen that some have results from past state meets, but unfortunately I didn't make it to the state meet lol!!! I just wanted to ask and see if maybe you or anyone else may have any results or anything from the 1995 D3 District and Regional meets. I know that there is different regions within D3 and I'm prolly not gonna find anything from back then but u never know till u ask!!! If you could possibly point me in the right direction or if u know anyone that may have something from then I would greatly appreciate any help I can get.

What part of the state are you from? If from SW Ohio, I can help you. Otherwise, I suggest consulting your local library microfilm or get a subscription to Newspaperarchive.com where you can do an awful lot of research at the touch of your fingertips.

What part of the state are you from? If from SW Ohio, I can help you. Otherwise, I suggest consulting your local library microfilm or get a subscription to Newspaperarchive.com where you can do an awful lot of research at the touch of your fingertips.
I am from Southern Ohio and I didn't know if like the actual meet results would be available anywhere or anything like that. I took 1st place at my district meet n the long jump and the newspaper article had 1 sentence and that was it lol.

I seriously doubt there are full results. More than likely you'll find local papers carrying qualifiers & not full results. Gotta remember, those were the days before timing companies. Only exception I know of was the excellent job that Don Connolly did for the then Anderson D1 meet (now Mason D1). Connolly published full results that were available at the press booth then. Maybe someone did something similar for your district & regional?

The 1995 D3 District meet was at Chillicothe High School and the 1995 D3 Regional meet was at Canal Winchester high school
I competed in both of those meets. If you find full results please share them.
The 1995 D3 Chillicothe District Meet results as printed in the Chillicothe Gazette. I wish it had more times and marks listed, but at least it lists all of that meet's regional qualifiers. It's a start.

Attachments

• 1995 D3 Chillicothe District.jpg
    1995 D3 Chillicothe District.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited: