Freshman football 2020

pantherland

How's the team looking numbers wise? Are there any kids that came to Elder that were unexpected? Who is all trying out for QB? Brass from Visi, Schachlater from Lourdes were two kids that I remember were being pretty good at QB.

I actually heard that the freshman numbers are the highest they've been in a few years, and the talent level looks pretty good. I guess trey has another 4 more years until he can say I told you so. Maybe next decade trey.

Any word on freshmen enrollment?

How's the team looking numbers wise? Are there any kids that came to Elder that were unexpected? Who is all trying out for QB? Brass from Visi, Schachlater from Lourdes were two kids that I remember were being pretty good at QB.
I think Darnell Dawson’s brother is an incoming frosh. Heard he’s a monster already

That’s got to be the largest roster since 2012 (c/o ‘16). Hasn’t it been in the 40s the last 3 classes?
I think it was ~50 last year, and about the same the prior yr. The big issue was the massive attrition last yr at the JV level that left them with barely 30 players.

205? That's great!

Yes, I think the Panther Fitness Center, the football team's state run, and a lot of the other upgrades to the campus had open house and school shadow numbers really high last year. The admissions directors and faculty did a great job last year. Principal Ruffing has the school trending in the right direction.

205 I wouldn't be surprised to see some CPS families looking to transfer with CPS doing virtual learning.
Why? If Elder has school in person, that’s what you signed up for. It’s proven in person lectures and interactions are vastly more effective than online learning.

I would be upset being charged full tuition while having online classes. IMO, schools doing that should be ashamed.

I would rather have a kid at a private school with possibility of going remote . I just think they are used to using tablet and more kids involved to do the work . A teacher teaching remotely and 90% of the kids not logging in and doing the work makes it irrelevant. When your paying for school then parents more involved/ invested . Don’t get me wrong public schools can do it, but statistically public’s had far less kids engaging in remote learning !

That’s got to be the largest roster since 2012 (c/o ‘16). Hasn’t it been in the 40s the last 3 classes?
I’ll reiterate, I don’t believe athletic success contributes materially to enrollment, at least not long term. However, I do believe it helps build a sustainable model of success within your athletic program. If you look at Elder specifically, their team will always be mostly constructed of feeder kids. How good that talent level is varies, but overall it’s usually enough to be competitive at a moderately high level. Where the real difference comes in is the few non feeder kids that are studs. Elder has had a lot of trouble attracting those kids, but the recent state title run added to the Fitness Center could help them land those kids more frequently. And those are the type of kids that help them compete with the top tier (Eds, Pick Cent, Mentor, Colerain) on a more consistent basis.

My biggest issue wacapable Freshman not playing JV. They broke that trend last yr, even if out of necessity, but I hope they continue it. If you’ve got a kid who you’re pretty sure will be playing, not just dressing, for Varsity as a Soph, they should be playing up. And this isn’t to say every yr you’re best 2-3 kids should play up. Even a stud like Royer probably wasn’t ready to play JV as a Frosh. I’m talking about players like Kraemer, Bono, James, who are already physically prepared to play up.

I don’t think all levels practiced together at Dunham, I could be wrong. Before the practice space you reference at Academy & W8th they practiced at Rapid Run Park. I know that for a fact because I remember seeing the team walk (yes I said walk) to practice from Elder to the park. I assume they walk to the field at Academy & W8th as well, I don’t drive there very often. I drove Glenway everyday for many years and I saw the team walking to practice all the time.

And I’m not surprised you agree with cincifbfan you both seem to have personal agendas. I don’t care about your personal agendas but I think what cincifbfan has posted on this thread is way over the top and he should not be allowed to anonymously discredit an entire staff based on “unbiased” observations supposedly made many years ago. He doesn’t even know if those same coaches are still involved with the program!
Walk? We had to run when I played Frosh football back in 80's......carried our helmets, cleats and water bottle and ran from Elder to Rapid Run and then back after practice....imagine doing that today!

Man I hated that walk, sometimes run back in the pouring rain from Rapid Run, usually with a headache and a boatload of homework on my mind or a dam tardy penalty. That was the best thing about sophomore yr.
Top 5 reasons kids quit after freshman yr.

1) Simply not fun if your not getting PT. I'm not saying it's anyone's fault, but after grade school football where most kids get real PT they look in the mirror and see the writing on the wall and realize they are not that good and the time and commitment(2/3 times that of grade school) isn't worth it.
2) With hockey, volleyball, and lacrosse there is more opportunities for kids to get on a winning team they can contribute to.
3) Some really good athletes play other sports and choose to concentrate on them instead of football. Sometimes because it's more fun and you don't have as high of a risk of for serious season/career ending injuries.
4) So many kids sign up because their buddies are doing it and a way to simply meet kids before school starts and know going in it might be a one yr thing.
5) Have to give up so much time yr round to be a minimal contributer. Some kids just like being there, some can't believe you have to lift all year and give up a huge chunk of your summer. Not to mention if you don't play you get to pregame on Friday nights.

Now it's been a long while since I have watched a B game, I hated those because the starters didn't have to have their equipment on during the game but the 5th string Gaurd had to keep his helmet buckled at all times or get cussed out. The coaches never really coached the B guys either, it was just a bunch of bull crapping with each other and starters on the sidelines.
When did this start with happening? I haven't been out of there 15 years and back then all players at all times were dressed in full uniform with their helmets on, regardless if it were an A game or B game.

Man I hated that walk, sometimes run back in the pouring rain from Rapid Run, usually with a headache and a boatload of homework on my mind or a dam tardy penalty. That was the best thing about sophomore yr.
Top 5 reasons kids quit after freshman yr.

1) Simply not fun if your not getting PT. I'm not saying it's anyone's fault, but after grade school football where most kids get real PT they look in the mirror and see the writing on the wall and realize they are not that good and the time and commitment(2/3 times that of grade school) isn't worth it.
2) With hockey, volleyball, and lacrosse there is more opportunities for kids to get on a winning team they can contribute to.
3) Some really good athletes play other sports and choose to concentrate on them instead of football. Sometimes because it's more fun and you don't have as high of a risk of for serious season/career ending injuries.
4) So many kids sign up because their buddies are doing it and a way to simply meet kids before school starts and know going in it might be a one yr thing.
5) Have to give up so much time yr round to be a minimal contributer. Some kids just like being there, some can't believe you have to lift all year and give up a huge chunk of your summer. Not to mention if you don't play you get to pregame on Friday nights.
I think your 5th point is the biggest factor. The time commitment is now yr round and if you’re a 3rd stringer, it’s really difficult to keep up that up knowing you’re never going to play a meaningful snap. At least 20-30 yrs ago, there were a few easy wins on the schedule, so you might get to play in a few games. Now, with how much harder and randomized the schedule is, the odds of seeing the field at all are slim.

I think your 5th point is the biggest factor. The time commitment is now yr round and if you’re a 3rd stringer, it’s really difficult to keep up that up knowing you’re never going to play a meaningful snap. At least 20-30 yrs ago, there were a few easy wins on the schedule, so you might get to play in a few games. Now, with how much harder and randomized the schedule is, the odds of seeing the field at all are slim.
Agree, there's just so many more options for athletes. It usually takes big time D1 type athletes to excel at multi sports in the GCL. Football, basketball, baseball, soccer, and now volleyball and lacrosse have yr round opportunities to play, get better and get noticed. So when your a borderline starter/backup in football and your size limts your ceiling, kids jump ship and dive "all in" to another sport. Seems like all the sports want you yr round. I guess that's the world were in now.
Great to see the big frosh numbers this season, I would think a state championship appearance was a big factor.
Freshman coaches make about a buck an HR so it's tough to judge coach Nie and the staff. The fact that he's been dealing with so many kids with so many helicopter parents for over thirty yrs should put him the elder hall of fame. You almost have to give them credit for some of the varsity success. I have no idea how he coaches now, but in the past "decades ago" it was a little heavy on the "hard guy" stuff, especially on the third stringers.

Back on topic, who is going to be the QB in this class? Or perhaps the better question is who will be in the rotation?

Back on topic, who is going to be the QB in this class? Or perhaps the better question is who will be in the rotation?

Heard there's a good qb from Lourdes and also Visitation. Both have looked good. I don't know the names. Some big kids including one from IHM that was an Elder family. I think this class has a lot of potential.

Heard there's a good qb from Lourdes and also Visitation. Both have looked good. I don't know the names. Some big kids including one from IHM that was an Elder family. I think this class has a lot of potential.
I think there’s a Guidugli at Lourdes, relative of the Highlands/UC QB, but I thought he was a RB

Again, getting back to topic. Is the Walters kid from Lourdes a frosh or an 8th grader? His dad was 1 yr older than me at Elder, and a really good PG.

Last edited:
Anyone with some insight on the freshman team know what their lineup looks like? I've heard really good things about the number of kids playing.