Free Agents

100club

I typed this up a week or so ago. I wrote a brief paragraph/sentence for the 10 best free agents I believe will remain with their current team. They are:

1. SP. CC Sabathia (NYY)
- Even if he opts out of his 4 year, $92 MM contract, no one else is going to pay him the $$$ he will be seeking. He’s going to remain a Yankee.

2. 2B. Robinson Cano (NYY)
- Arguably the best 2B in the game the past couple seasons… this is a no-brainer for the Yanks.

3. SS. Jimmy Rollins (PHI)
- Rollins is the best free agent shortstop not named Jose Reyes. He has spent his entire career with the Phillies and is very likely to spend a few more years with the club.

4. C. Yadier Molina (STL)
- I would pick up Molina’s option based solely on his defense. Throw in the fact that he had a breakout year mixing power with average on his way to becoming an all-star and this is an easy decision for the Cards.

5. 2B. Brandon Phillips (CIN)
- It’s tough to see the Reds not pick this up as Phillips has been a top 2B since coming to Cincinnati from Cleveland in 2006.

6. DH. David Ortiz (BOS)
- Ortiz has said he doesn’t like the drama that’s going on in Boston right now and he wouldn’t mind going to New York (the Yankees, yes, that New York team). I highly doubt he’s going anywhere. Ortiz is a Boston fan-favorite and will likely be back in Boston. BUT, without Ortiz, Boston could make a run at Fielder (who has said he wouldn’t mind being a DH). Interesting….

7. SP. Adam Wainwright (STL)
- Yes, he missed all of last year, but let’s not forget just how good Wainwright was before the injury. He decreased his ERA every year from 2007 to 2010 and posted 20 wins in 2010 (19 the season before). Teammate Chris Carpenter (who recently reached a deal to stay in St. Louis in 2012) was a couple years older than Wainwright when he had his Tommy John surgery, and he went on to win the NL Comeback Player of the Year award. *OPTION PICKED UP FOR 2012 and 2013 SEASONS*

8. RP. Heath Bell (SD)
- Bell wants to stay in San Diego and it would be very wise for them to resign their closer. He’s one of the best closers in the game right now and even though he pitches for the Padres, he’s managed 40 saves the past three seasons, all with an ERA under 3.00 (and an ERA under 2.00 in 2010).

9. SP. Roy Oswalt (PHI) – mutual buyout
- What a roller-coaster of a season it was for Oswalt. In between the injuries, contemplating retirement, and his poor post-season start, he showed he can still pitch. Even though it was a “down” year by his standards, Oswalt still owned a 3.69 ERA. The Phillies will hope he is back to his 2010 form where he had a 2.77 ERA and will bring him back. *PHILLIES DID NOT PICK UP HIS OPTION, ALTHOUGH THEY ARE EXPECTED TO NEGOTIATE A NEW CONTRACT WITH HIM*

10. RP. Jose Valverde (DET)
- Valverde converted every single save during the regular season… all 49 of them. He also converted all three of his postseason saves including two in one-run games vs. the Yankees in the ALDS. The Tigers #1 task this offseason will be bringing Valverde back for 2012.

Last edited:

I did NOT write anything up for the top 10 players I believe could leave their team. Instead I listed the top 3 teams (in order) that are likely (in my opinion) to sign them. I quickly jotted down some notes but never had time to fully write a paragraph behind my logic. The top 10 free agents possibly/likely to leave their current team are:

1. Albert Pujols – *Cardinals, Cubs, Yankees, Mets
- Cubs = new GM, Yanks have $$$, Mets = no beltran, reyes, LOTS of $$$ to spend.

2. Prince Fielder – Yankees, Cubs, Orioles
- Yanks = money, need DH more willing than Pujols, Cubs = new GM, Orioles = need DH/1B, Vlad/Scott are both FA, freeing up $$$ went after Tex, known to go after bigname guys, sosa, vlad. Open to dh

3. Jose Reyes – Giants, Angels, Red Sox
- Giants = really need a SS no production from Cabrera/Tejada. Angels = tried to trade for him last year, willing to pick up contract (Aybar), Red Sox = need SS,

4. Yu Darvish – Blue Jays, Rangers, Yankees
- Blue Jays = scouting Darvish closer than any other team, Rangers = scouted him, Yankees = money, need rotation help

5. CJ Wilson – Yanks, Rangers, Nationals
- Yanks = most money, Rangers = his team, Nationals = interested

6. Carlos Beltran – Giants, Red Sox, Mets
- Giants = new team first dibs, Red Sox = drew gone RF beltran moved to rf, mets = he liked it there

7. Aramis Ramirez – mutual option – marlins, cubs, angels
– marlins (zambrano too) because of Ozzie, Cubs = probably not, angels = were close before trade deadline but no way.

8. Jonathan Papelbon – Phillies

9. Edwin Jackson – Cards, Nationals, Mariners
- Cards = former team, Nationals/Mariners young teams on the rise

10. Mark Buerlie – White Sox, Nationals, Mariners
- White Sox = former team, Nationals/Mariners young teams on the rise

Last edited:
Reds picked up Phillips option, declined Cordero's, CC and the Yankees signed a 5 year deal.

Pujols, Fielder, Reyes and others file for free agency. The biggest free agent news is CC opting out of his contract and then resigning with the Yankees... for $122 mil over 5 years! There is also an option for $25 mil in the 6th year of his contract. WOW. Other Yankee news includes picking up Cano and Swisher's options. Also, Yankees are rumored to NOT be interested in Pujols... I don't believe it. They may be focused more on pitching but I can see them at least making Pujols an offer (though I do see them more likely landing Fielder than Pujols.)

In a bit of a shocker, Jim Thome signs... with the Phillies? This means the 41 year old DH will have to play the field, something he has not done since 2007. With Howard at 1B, I can't see him being anything more than a pinch hitter late in a game. He would have had more playing time in the AL so this is a signing that's a bit strange to me.

Aramis Ramirez at the Cubs had a mutual buyout for $16 million... The Cubs wanted to pick up the option but Ramirez chose to opt out. I thought it would be the other way around but rumors are he wants a long-term contract. The Miami Marlins are still the front runners to land him and other sources lead me to believe they will sometime soon. No new news on Zambrano, but I still expect him to join Ramirez in Miami via trade.

The Nationals, who are expected to make a huge push for a top SP FA (Wilson or Buerlie/Jackson), resigned Wang yesterday. The former Yankee ace hasn't been quite the same since his shoulder surgery a couple years ago but his 4-3 record with a 4.04 ERA was somewhat promising. Zimmermann showed promise this year and with a healthy Strausburg for next year, the Nationals will have a much improved rotation in 2012.

As expected, Molina (STL) and Phillips (CIN) had their options picked up.

Still early in the free agency process but the focus seems to be on hiring a manager for many of the potential huge free agent buyers (Cards, Cubs, Red Sox)

Updating free agents... Papelbon signs with the Phillies in a surprising move given the fact that they were trying to bring back Madson. Madson is one of the top closers available and has been offered a contract by the Miami Marlins (as has every other free agent.) Miami's closer last year Juan Carlos Oviedo, AKA Leo Nunez, may not pitch next season. I think the only other impact signing made since my last post was Adam Wainwright's option being picked up by the Cardinals for the 2012 and 2013 seasons.

BREAKING NEWS! The Miami Marlins have made an offer to Albert Pujols for $225 million over nine years. This is more than the Cardinals offer of $210 million. They have also offered Reyes a contract for six years, $90 million total. Miami has also offered Buerlie a contract and could still land Aramis Ramirez and Carlos Zambrano.

For those of you who don't know Yu Darvis (my #4 free agent behind the big 3), SI has an article on him and Japanese players playing in the MLB.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20....players.yu.darvish/index.html?sct=mlb_t11_a1

The biggest signing in the past few days is Joe Nathan to the Rangers. I've never been a fan of closers getting huge contracts (Papelbon's contract = outrageous) and Nathan's is no exception. The 37 year old who missed all of 2010 after having TJ surgery will make $14.5 million over the next two years to close games in Texas. He pitched very poorly last season, with a 4.84 ERA in 48 games and only converting 14 saves. Sounds like a waste to me. As for Neftali Feliz, the Rangers announced he will be moved to the rotation for next season. He was a starter in the minors so while it may take some time to adjust at first, he should be fine in that role.

MI Clint Barmes signs a two-year, $10.5 million deal to play for the Pirates. He's been pretty useless over the past couple years... probably a bad signing for the Pirates. The Pirates also signed utilityman Jake Fox to a minor league deal. Fox can play catcher, 1B, and OF (like former Pirate Doumit). I like his pop, he had the most HR in spring training and was on fire but he was never really given a chance to play in Baltimore.

That is all for now... Reyes may sign soon, possibly in the next week, Pujols might follow shortly after. Nothing new on Fielder, who doesn't appear to be ready to sign anywhere.

Wait, so the Marlins are going after BOTH Pujols and Reyes? At first I thought they were only going to sign one or the other, definitely not both players. If so, that is pretty good news to see Pujols leaving the NL Central.

Interestingly enough, the Reds face Miami on Opening Day so they won't exactly be free of facing Pujols just yet. :laugh:

Wait, so the Marlins are going after BOTH Pujols and Reyes? At first I thought they were only going to sign one or the other, definitely not both players. If so, that is pretty good news to see Pujols leaving the NL Central.

Interestingly enough, the Reds face Miami on Opening Day so they won't exactly be free of facing Pujols just yet. :laugh:

I doubt they will land both Pujols and Reyes... From what I've read, they are more interested in going after Reyes. However, I have read that while Hanley wants Reyes in Miami, he does not want to switch positions. The same thing has happened with Michael Young in Texas, who started as a 2B, moved to SS when Kinsler came up, then moved to 3B when Andrews came up, and then to 1B/DH when Beltre was signed. Young was upset heading into this season and was demanding a trade but obviously he remained in Texas and had one of his best seasons. I don't think Hanley will demand a trade, but I can see this being an issue all off-season if management tells him he is switching to 2B (probably makes most sense) or 3B (I've seen that this is where he would move). Aramis Ramirez is still a target for the Marlins and they also have Matt Dominguez at 3B so to me, a move to 2B would make most sense.

One name that keeps popping up is Cuban Yoennis Cespedes. He was unknown to me until recently but his numbers are impressive. A five-tool player, the Marlins have met with him and he could end up being their center fielder next year.

In addition to offering contracts to Pujols, Reyes, and Buerlie, the Marlins have been in talks with the A's for Gio Gonzalez and Andrew Bailey as well as the Rays for James Shields. One fact I saw that was kind of interesting was the Marlins and Rays have NEVER made a trade with each other... EVER.

I follow the Marlins but it's getting tough this year with all the rumors surrounding the team. It appears like they will be putting together a solid team to complete in the very tough NL East.

And riiiiiiiiight after I posted this I saw Miami traded backup catcher John Baker? to San Diego for SP Wade LeBlanc. Not a huge trade by any means but I don't know who John Baker is and Wade LeBlanc could be a decent #5 SP in Miami.