Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Rate and review the movie "Ford v Ferrari"

American car designer Carroll Shelby and driver Ken Miles battle corporate interference, the laws of physics and their own personal demons to build a revolutionary race car for Ford and challenge Ferrari at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1966.

It’s getting good reviews but the Yappsters are silent. The Ford GT40 is one of the sweetest cars ever made...I’ll probably check this one out (I only go to one or two movies a year).

A few guys that I know who are into car racing were worried about this film taking liberty w/ the story and making it too "Hollywood". They saw it last night and gave it an enthusiastic thumbs up. Also, best seen on a big screen, the racing scenes work well in theater.

I’m not a car or racing guy, in fact I wasn’t sure it was a true story since the only name I knew was Iacocca. My son said it was getting good reviews on line so we decided to check it out. Like it a lot. Definitely thumbs up.

Background story...

1965 the last Ferrari win...

side note.... While us gearheads in the USA ran high compression engines
often using upwards of 100(+) octane gas; the Fords had to be detuned
to run on 82 octane French fuel.

:>---

SF

Looking forward to it. Hope they didn't take too much creative license with it. It's a good enough story on its own.

I’m not a car or racing guy, in fact I wasn’t sure it was a true story since the only name I knew was Iacocca. My son said it was getting good reviews on line so we decided to check it out. Like it a lot. Definitely thumbs up.

The racing scenes on the big screen were worthy of a theatre trip, like Auggie said. I knew a little bit of Iacocca, Carroll Shelby, and Ford Jr, but I went from pretty much the same place as yourself, history-wise. Very enjoyable movie. I really enjoyed the portrayal of Miles approaching the act of driving as a "mechanic" - always tweaking and tuning the process, chasing perfection.

Last edited:
Background story...

1965 the last Ferrari win...

side note.... While us gearheads in the USA ran high compression engines
often using upwards of 100(+) octane gas; the Fords had to be detuned
to run on 82 octane French fuel.

SF

You always notice the music, old man. Enjoy it ?

chica-boom, chica-boom......chica-boom, chica-boom.....

I enjoyed watching my wife wink at me, sit forward a bit in her seat, drop her arms to her sides, and then shimmy like a 60's go-go girl. The soundtrack set the mood of that age really well with just a few well-placed songs.

chica-boom, chica-boom......chica-boom, chica-boom.....

Did your neighbor ever punt on that kit Cobra ?

Seeing Damon as Shelby zip and bounce around in his Cobra made me think first of my old History teacher in Canal Fulton that was original owner of a 350, of the fact that Hertz once rented them to any dork off the street, and then finally of your struggling neighbor.

Last edited:
Hand Bale the Oscar.

I wonder if he was speaking in his native accent, or if it was tweaked a bit for Miles. ? Did commitment to the Method demand it ?

The repeatedly unstated resignation of growing up enough to put family first, to temporarily shelve passion and obsession, was pretty good. You can actually feel and identify with it. Yet it eventually cost him. Too much to get around, in the end.

A great partnership with a kindred spirit whose own wings were clipped in a different way. Kind of odd at first, yet perfectly symmetrical in resolution that the kid understood/accepted it before him. Terrific story and movie.

When one holds this up against 3:10, Batman, AmPsycho, Machinist, the Prestige, Vice, etc, all the way back to a 13 yr old Bale in Empire of the Sun, it is really quite a body of work. Love it.

Last edited:
I thoroughly enjoyed the film as someone with almost zero racing knowledge. Damon was solid and Bale, as always, was phenomenal. As cabe said, I really enjoyed how Bale/Miles approached racing. Tweaking, fine tuning. I thought they did a great job showing how dominant Ferrari was at the time and what an impossible job it would be to overtake them.

Did your neighbor ever punt on that kit Cobra ?

Cobra was completed in time for Bob to drive it to Colorado after he was transferred there.

Another tidbit...

One GT 40 had the Gurney "bubble" ... a raised portion in the roof to accommodate Dan Gurney's 6'5"
height. Notice the bulge in the roof over driver's position on the right side of the car...

IMG_0057-550x402.jpg

EGA

Last edited: