For DirecTV customers

arizonawildcat

I got a message today that because of my years as a loyal customer, I will be receiving the Football Package for FREE. Anyone else get one of these offers. Finally I can watch the Browns' game and not be stuck watching the Cardinals every week.

Sure did. Also got HBO Max free for a few months. My son will be using the NFL deel because he loves playing fantasy football. As for me I wont be watching Pro Football this year.

I'll have to check my last AT&T bill, didn't notice that. Nowadays I don't watch enough pro football to make it worth my while.

The wife and I just had a weekend getaway in a cabin in the Mohican area, which had a Dish antenna out front. Friday evening we're tuning in the laptop to watch our high school play, while I'm still scanning for Dish channels - then I see a channel called "Youtube". Amazing. So I searched for my high school's channel, and we got to watch our team on the 46". And they won!

I still like DirectTV better, though.

Last edited:
I got a message today that because of my years as a loyal customer, I will be receiving the Football Package for FREE. Anyone else get one of these offers. Finally I can watch the Browns' game and not be stuck watching the Cardinals every week.
You might want to check on that. DirecTV always has Sunday Ticket for free Week 1 each season. We've had Direct for 13 years and never received a full season offer.

Nope, it says it's for the whole season. I have been with DirecTV since 1994, except for the six months was at the Mayo Clinic). So it's beeen about 25 years - 'bout time they gave me something.

Never got it for free, but you can always call them and get the rate lowered. Tell them you'd like the Ticket, but it just costs too much, and they'll look for promotional offers (not sure how they determine who gets which particular promo). Last year they couldn't give a Ticket promo, but they took $50/month off my regular bill, 3 free months of HBO/Cinemax, and a couple other smaller reductions on a sports packages and such. I did have a friend who got the Ticket for free this year and he's also been a customer for 20+ years (I think I'm around 15 years).

Been getting a lot of automated marketing calls this week from AT&T about DirecTV, asking if I'm tired of paying high prices for TV, and if I'm interested in lowering my bill. I just hang up. My automatic assumption is that it's an attempt to get me to add something that will increase my bill.

A year or two ago I noticed my bill went up $30 a month. I checked the previous bill, and they had added NFL Network tier to my service, which I'd never requested. I got on the horn to complain, and the rep said my account showed I signed up for it, and listed the date I requested it I told them flat-out that whoever made that entry lied. The rep finally gave me a $30 credit for that month, and took NFL away. I'm pretty sure it was because earlier I had actually talked to one of their marketing contractors who was pushing NFLN. I always tell them flat-out "no" - and one particular SOB must have went ahead and marked on my account I said "yes". Sneaky bastards.

Are you sure it is the Sunday Ticket?

Carriers will 'trick' folks and if they just say football package they may just mean NFL Network, Red Zone, and other channels that carry football, but not necessarily the NFL Sunday Ticket...

Spectrum is touting a Sports/football packet for a whopping $5. Just has other sports channels like NFL, Espnews, Red Zone, etc.