For 1st time in OHSAA History a female will place at the HS tournament

Nothing disparaging about the truth, and nothing I said disparages her character. You're forum "army of 5-6 "?? Don't like the truth about her placement and why...too bad. In closing to fortify my point ....How many boys her own age can she beat if in fact she isn't in an opportunistic scenario by weight and division ? ;) Ridiculous to condone girls competing against boys in a combat sport.....even though the "boys" are pre pubescent and 90% are under the age of 16 she occasionally can beat. Those attempting to act like the only reason she isn't wrestling MEN in college is because she is too light?? ...NOT THE FACT SHE WILL NOT ONLY NEVER WIN A MATCH AGAIN AGAINST MEN HER OWNJAGE , SHE WONT MAKE IT OUT OF THE FIRST PERIOD.....LOL
She placed in state division 3 at 106... your argument that she couldn’t win a college wrestling match doesn’t hold much water. Few reasons why , I can find several 106/113 state placers in every division that can’t compete at the college level. Weight class is 125.... have you been too any D3 matches or tournaments, bc I have and there are teams that have kids that have never wrestled a day in their life , ever ! Sure the muscle mass differential is there but skill can come into play. Honestly I’m just curious what’s your problem with her placing? Is it wrong she competed ? Are you saying you would never let your boys wrestle her ? Just trying too figure out your madness . Also what’s up with the hillbilly statement ? Also let’s leave politics out of this.

" Can't compete at the college level" is a different animal than NEVER being able to win a match, and get manhandled by any college male that has now hit puberty, in that case they all have...not opportunistic wins against below average pre pubescent competitors when you hold the maturity advantage. What part of " I saw Clarissa Chum a us multi world medalist ...get pinned and teched in the first periods in her two matches against high school boys who were not ranked number 1 in the country :) didnt you understand? You think she is better now than a 28 year old world medalist female? lol My argument that she would NEVER win a college match against a male is solid, how many women have beat mature college wrestlers in a college bout once they are men? NONE. The same boys Olivia was occasionally beating should they stay with the sport will bet her soundly.....I've seen it ....over and over and over. Kore sharply was a 103 pound senior I believe , Olivia wouldn't have lasted 40 seconds with him if they were both seniors, and while he had an average college career at 125 he wasn't elite. It's not surprising to me in the least that Olivia can beat some male competitors at 106 who are no where near top 100 nationally...as she is a senior at 18/1/2?? ALL of those young boys would beat her easily in a few years. My problem is... it is absolutely opportunistic to allow a girl to compete against "boys" and bestow accolades on her for a sixth place finish( getting pinned twice by non ranked freshman? ) . When everyone knows boys who are above average and her same age as seniors would annihilate her....where are all the girls placing at higher weights against male competitors their own age?? Combat sports are NOT intended to combine genders...it's a ridiculous concept and shame on the OHSAA. She also took a place away from a up and coming freshman MALE......who just hasn't reached puberty yet, girls reach puberty before boys ...fact. Combine that with a 2 year age advantage or 3 actually......and obviously the results are skewed for a reason. There are plenty of 113 pound male as seniors who have had a very good college career.......she wrestles...111 pounds as a female. It would be a crime to see her compete against a top 100 113 pound Male wrestler., dont blink.....quite the different outcome. As for would I allow my son to compete against her...I'm not sure. Lets just say for the sake argument he was "pretty good" ....I mean 106 Div 1 Champ good in an elite field.........many time national wins etc etc. What does he have to gain? He beats the piss out of a girl who really has no business to be wrestling against boys anyways? But he gives up a State title by forfeiting....he gets a few jokes from his team mates for wooping a girl, I guess thats better than those younger competitors who are at least 2 years from puberty getting the jokes that comes from having a girl beat you. Imagine the absurdity of allowing a woman UFC fighter to compete against a top UFC male fighter ...imagine a boxing match...imagine a college wrestling match where its way more physical all of the time ..........no more pre pubescent below average wrestlers anymore. The concept is just stupid...and none of you have said anything to refute the reasons why.

Last edited:
" Can't compete at the college level" is a different animal than NEVER being able to win a match, and get manhandled by any college male that has now hit puberty, in that case they all have...not opportunistic wins against below average pre pubescent competitors when you hold the maturity advantage. What part of " I saw Clarissa Chum a us multi world medalist ...get pinned and teched in the first periods in her two matches against high school boys who were not ranked number 1 in the country :) didnt you understand? You think she is better now than a 28 year old world medalist female? lol My argument that she would NEVER win a college match against a male is solid, how many women have beat mature college wrestlers in a college bout once they are men? NONE. The same boys Olivia was occasionally beating should they stay with the sport will bet her soundly.....I've seen it ....over and over and over. Kore sharply was a 103 pound senior I believe , Olivia wouldn't have lasted 40 seconds with him if they were both seniors, and while he had an average college career at 125 he wasn't elite. It's not surprising to me in the least that Olivia can beat some male competitors at 106 who are no where near top 100 nationally...as she is a senior at 18/1/2?? ALL of those young boys would beat her easily in a few years. My problem is... it is absolutely opportunistic to allow a girl to compete against "boys" and bestow accolades on her for a sixth place finish( getting pinned twice by non ranked freshman? ) . When everyone knows boys who are above average and her same age as seniors would annihilate her....where are all the girls placing at higher weights against male competitors their own age?? Combat sports are NOT intended to combine genders...it's a ridiculous concept and shame on the OHSAA. She also took a place away from a up and coming freshman MALE......who just hasn't reached puberty yet, girls reach puberty before boys ...fact. Combine that with a 2 year age advantage or 3 actually......and obviously the results are skewed for a reason.
what about when she was a sophomore beating older boys who have hit puberty? guys idk why we still talking to this pos

" Can't compete at the college level" is a different animal than NEVER being able to win a match, and get manhandled by any college male that has now hit puberty, in that case they all have...not opportunistic wins against below average pre pubescent competitors when you hold the maturity advantage. What part of " I saw Clarissa Chum a us multi world medalist ...get pinned and teched in the first periods in her two matches against high school boys who were not ranked number 1 in the country :) didnt you understand? You think she is better now than a 28 year old world medalist female? lol My argument that she would NEVER win a college match against a male is solid, how many women have beat mature college wrestlers in a college bout once they are men? NONE. The same boys Olivia was occasionally beating should they stay with the sport will bet her soundly.....I've seen it ....over and over and over. Kore sharply was a 103 pound senior I believe , Olivia wouldn't have lasted 40 seconds with him if they were both seniors, and while he had an average college career at 125 he wasn't elite. It's not surprising to me in the least that Olivia can beat some male competitors at 106 who are no where near top 100 nationally...as she is a senior at 18/1/2?? ALL of those young boys would beat her easily in a few years. My problem is... it is absolutely opportunistic to allow a girl to compete against "boys" and bestow accolades on her for a sixth place finish( getting pinned twice by non ranked freshman? ) . When everyone knows boys who are above average and her same age as seniors would annihilate her....where are all the girls placing at higher weights against male competitors their own age?? Combat sports are NOT intended to combine genders...it's a ridiculous concept and shame on the OHSAA. She also took a place away from a up and coming freshman MALE......who just hasn't reached puberty yet, girls reach puberty before boys ...fact. Combine that with a 2 year age advantage or 3 actually......and obviously the results are skewed for a reason.
What does "not being able to win a college match" have to do with her placing in HS? The answer is nothing and it's just a straw man argument you have built up.

Seniors wrestling freshmen...happens all the time. I guess you're all for HS being separated by grades now to prevent this "travesty" from ever happening again? Can't have 18/19 year olds beating on 14/15 year olds ever again. In addition to having three divisions we will now have divisions by grade. So 12 state tournaments now. Lol.

Man you're an idiot.

LOL You think I care. you've been owned ..jethro. POINT MADE.
You haven’t owned anything Meat ! You hide behind a screen name talking down a student athlete for an accomplishment that has never happened before ! You aren’t kicking rocks ... you are kicking a mountain and you won’t win. You need mental health assistance or move out of your moms basement.

Hey jack ..Name the boys she beat as a sophomore who hit puberty and were 2 years older than her? I'll even let you include the 1 or 2 that was their first wrestling match. Fricken BOZO THE CLOWN LOL

First two listed are wins against older boys that she beat as a sophomore. The final three are from her freshman year with 2 wins being against srs, and the final was losing a 4-0 decision to a sr that, I believe, was a SQ that year.

Schroer, Caleb - Troy Christian (11) (19:3-106-5th) - WIN

Szuhay, Brett - Crestwood (11) (19:3-106-4th)(18:3-106-8th) - WIN

Hielman, Manny - Northmor (12) - WIN
Shaw, Michael - Olmsted Falls (12) (18:1-106-6th)(17:1-106-Q) - WIN
Mayo, Ethan - Valley View (12) (18:2-106-Q) -lost 4-0

I was not present for this, but a coach whom I am friends with told me a story about Olivia Shore that pretty much told me everything I need to know about the kid. This was during the 2019 season, where Shore went 1-2 at State.

Open mat, or practice, or something (not totally sure) - Olivia shows up, rolling with other lightweights. One of the other light weights is a state qualifier at this point (d3) - while drilling, not live, drilling, Shore just starts laying into this kid. Mercilessly taking them down, forcing them to speed up their reps, telling them to work harder. Ended with Shore basically calling this other kid soft and that they need to work harder. Same thing happened when they went live. My friend said Shore was right, told the kid as much and went on about the open mat (or whatever it was) as usual. Both Shore, and the other kid would go on to get on the podium in their careers.

Olivia Shore is a savage. Your kid lost to her? Work harder, get better. Wasting your time posting here will serve neither of those. Literally every complaint I see on here screams of insecurity from the poster. I really hope the person/people posting these things are not parents of competitors. Soft parental attitudes = soft/spoiled kids.

"ShEs a SeNiOr!" - Keen observation - is it illegal for seniors to wrestle in certain weights? - I recall her wrestling at the Schott as a Sophomore. Whats the excuse for her run that year?

"GiRlS hIt PuBerTy FiRSt!" - Wow, are you a doctor or something? Breaking news here, no one knew this gem of knowledge! - Care to talk a little more in-depth about how muscle-growth/development works, and the differences between males and females in that regard in ages 14-18?

Completely embarrassing how ignorant people in Ohio Wrestling can be. Do everyone a favor and keep your thoughts to yourself.

Name all the senior 103 or 106 azzclown?IN the past 25 years LOL You have all your fingers on one hand ?? LOL Now throw in hitting puberty faster as a female. Dumb mf

There were 3 senior 106 pounders at state this year over the 3 divisions.
There were 5 senior 106 pounders at state in 2020 over 3 divisions (tournament cancelled)
There were 4 senior 106 pounders at state in 2019 over 3 divisions
There were 5 senior 106 pounders at state in 2018 over 3 divisions
There were 3 senior 106 pounders at state in 2017 over 3 divisions
There were 3 senior 106 pounders at state in 2016 over 3 divisions

I'm over two hands and 2 feet at this point so I will stop for now but if you really want me to go back 25 years I will. May be hard to go back past 2007 though because those brackets aren't archived on the internet that I know of.

During the 5 years above that wrestled there were 18 senior 106 pounders only 8 placed including Olivia Shore. It doesn't actually seem that easy to place as a senior at 106, even for the boys who hit puberty the year before according to your lessons on the puberty of young boys. (Why DO you know so much about that?) One wrestler even placed as a junior and did not as a senior.

It would seem that of the seniors in recent years that wrestled in the state tournament at 106, Shore is one of the best to do it.

And before you say "Well it's D3!"

In 2021 there were 1 in D3, 2 in D2, and 0 in D1 (Shore placed)
In 2020 there were 2 in D3, 2 in D2, and 1 in D1
In 2019 there were 0 in D3, 2 in D2, and 2 in D1 (2 placers in D2)
In 2018 there were 2 in D3, 1 in D2, and 2 in D1 (2 placers in D1)
In 2017 there were 2 in D3, 0 in D2, and 1 in D1 (1 placer in each of D1 and D3)
In 2016 there were 0 in D3, 2 in D2, and 1 in D1 (1 placer in D2)

So for 5 years that actually wrestled...7 in D3, 9 in D2, and 7 in D3 (2 placers in D3, 3 in D2, and 3 in D1)

So it seems that being a senior 106 is no more common than any other division and placing in D3 is no easier than in D1 or D2. On top of that, senior 106 pounders at state is below a 50% rate.

And...if it is so easy for a senior to qualify 106 then how come only 23 of the last 288 wrestlers competing in the state tournament at 106 have been seniors? And if a senior placing at 106 is so easy, then how come only 8 of the last 120 (would be higher if 2020 was included) wrestlers placing in the state tournament at 106 have been seniors?

And finally...why is it so hard to give the kid credit? She busted her butt like every other kid did and should be recognized for it.

I'd bet you don't think Jackie Robinson did anything special either.

How many girls wrestling teams are there in Ohio?
I believe 97 schools were represented at this years OHSWCA State Tournament. And those were just the ones who qualified through girls districts. Lots of girls teams with 10+. We were having quads every weekend with full lineups.

It amazes me how ignorant some are... Wrestling is a dying sport. FACT. Argue otherwise, you'll lose. Organizations and coaches are doing everything they can to draw in new blood, and struggling. Weight classes get adjusted and cut, tournaments have evolved new formats, all to try and make it a more viable option. The elite are the elite, but numbers are what keeps things going, and COVID may have been the biggest hit the sport has ever taken... with the last year seeing very little new blood entering the arena.

Women's wrestling MAY save it. You can look at the David Taylors, Jordan Burroughs, and Kyle Snyders as common day hero's but Tricia Saunders may truly be the savior of US wrestling, opening the door for women in America. I am not a fan of Title IX, it was used to cut programs, instead of what I believe its true intention was... to add more female athletes to college athletics. With the rise and interest in women's wrestling, it helps to create a safety net for college wrestling.

While I jumped up on my soapbox, and got away from the purpose of this thread.... I think that those that aren't on here praising this young ladies accomplishments, either had their little boys kicked by Ms. Shore, or are just bigots. At the end of the day Olivia qualified the same way all of the others in that bracket did. Yet, I'm not seeing arguments that certain other boys shouldn't have been there... She did what she did given the same set of circumstances as all of the others... So why the negative tone? Because you don't believe women belong in boys wrestling? Because little Billy can't handle getting beat by a girl?

Our sport is awesome because it teaches kids so many life lessons. It pits to equal parties against one another. The better one wins, regardless height, muscle tone, athleticism, strength, color, or gender. It teaches young men and women to work for a goal and overcome obstacles. Olivia did all of those things. If a "boy" has issue with that, then his coach and likely his parents have missed some huge life lessons that could have been taught through our great sport.

Hats off to Olivia Shore. I'm glad we have someone braving this new era of wrestling, because I think she is a part of the few that are going to help keep our sport going.

Coach Root
Thank you Coach Root for talking on this subject!!!

I've been a relatively silent poster on this site for many years. My son was a D1 qualifier and I wrestled high school (he was better than me, but I gave him some tips lol). I am posting this evening because I am absolutely floored that anyone would be so shallow as to have anything but positive statements for the accomplishment that Olivia achieved. This "Old" dude is ridiculous. Congrats to the Shore family, your boys, and your daughter earned everything - and that's not easy. This Old guy is a tool. Also, let's end this thread and start a new one dedicated to her achievement and block the old guy. Repulsive. And, if she beat my boy, than so be it. That's what wrestling is all about. Eventually, we all lose in wresting and in life (and to many that we should have beaten). That being said, a "wrestler" never loses. He/She LEARNS (than grows from it). This old guy doesn't get it. OUT!!!!

Last edited:
My takeaway from all this is as follows...
- 1) It once again reinforces the notion that wrestlers are "made", not born. And victories are "earned" not won. The wrestler, regardless of athletic ability or natural strength, who trains the hardest, drills the smartest, perfects the best techniques, is the most fanatic and disciplined will reap the greatest rewards.
- 2) In Ohio, if you are not dedicated too item #1, you should not compete in wrestling...Or be prepared that in this day and age, you could lose to a girl.
The days of just being a very good athlete and learning some moves with solid conditioning and still contending at state are long gone.
She got there because she was a full-on dedicated one sport fanatic. My hunch is the boys she beat were not.

Old 142 you don't need to be cancelled, you need a beating.
Why get on here and bash wrestlers? And why target a 106# teenage girl?
Does her success take you back to your Sr. year riding the jv basketball bench wishing you had the balls to join the wrestling team?
I can see you sitting in your moms basement with panties on your head stewing over her winning.
I'm sure cutting her down make you feel better about the micro unit you were born with. And I'm sure with every angry post people respond with makes it grow a little. So go count the number of fruit loops you can fit on it now, you POS.

Would any of you bestowing "Congratulations" on the young lady have a problem with a boy entering the girls tournament and walking through the brackets all divisions, not only D3, at any weight class, not a senior at the lightest weight competing against mostly/all freshman sophomores as a senior? I just dont see the point except being opportunistic based on the parameters, there is no future in her competing against men in this sport with any success at all, once they mature and are not below average in ability within their peers.
So I’m guessing you were a senior 106 that never placed at state because you didn’t mature right? Pretty sad the logic you have. Why don’t you do everyone a favor and go back to your moms basement and snuggle up with your blanket and cry yourself to sleep and dream of a day when you might be able to toe the line and compete!

" Can't compete at the college level" is a different animal than NEVER being able to win a match, and get manhandled by any college male that has now hit puberty, in that case they all have...not opportunistic wins against below average pre pubescent competitors when you hold the maturity advantage. What part of " I saw Clarissa Chum a us multi world medalist ...get pinned and teched in the first periods in her two matches against high school boys who were not ranked number 1 in the country :) didnt you understand? You think she is better now than a 28 year old world medalist female? lol My argument that she would NEVER win a college match against a male is solid, how many women have beat mature college wrestlers in a college bout once they are men? NONE. The same boys Olivia was occasionally beating should they stay with the sport will bet her soundly.....I've seen it ....over and over and over. Kore sharply was a 103 pound senior I believe , Olivia wouldn't have lasted 40 seconds with him if they were both seniors, and while he had an average college career at 125 he wasn't elite. It's not surprising to me in the least that Olivia can beat some male competitors at 106 who are no where near top 100 nationally...as she is a senior at 18/1/2?? ALL of those young boys would beat her easily in a few years. My problem is... it is absolutely opportunistic to allow a girl to compete against "boys" and bestow accolades on her for a sixth place finish( getting pinned twice by non ranked freshman? ) . When everyone knows boys who are above average and her same age as seniors would annihilate her....where are all the girls placing at higher weights against male competitors their own age?? Combat sports are NOT intended to combine genders...it's a ridiculous concept and shame on the OHSAA. She also took a place away from a up and coming freshman MALE......who just hasn't reached puberty yet, girls reach puberty before boys ...fact. Combine that with a 2 year age advantage or 3 actually......and obviously the results are skewed for a reason. There are plenty of 113 pound male as seniors who have had a very good college career.......she wrestles...111 pounds as a female. It would be a crime to see her compete against a top 100 113 pound Male wrestler., dont blink.....quite the different outcome. As for would I allow my son to compete against her...I'm not sure. Lets just say for the sake argument he was "pretty good" ....I mean 106 Div 1 Champ good in an elite field.........many time national wins etc etc. What does he have to gain? He beats the piss out of a girl who really has no business to be wrestling against boys anyways? But he gives up a State title by forfeiting....he gets a few jokes from his team mates for wooping a girl, I guess thats better than those younger competitors who are at least 2 years from puberty getting the jokes that comes from having a girl beat you. Imagine the absurdity of allowing a woman UFC fighter to compete against a top UFC male fighter ...imagine a boxing match...imagine a college wrestling match where its way more physical all of the time ..........no more pre pubescent below average wrestlers anymore. The concept is just stupid...and none of you have said anything to refute the reasons why.

*"GET OFF MY LAWN!"

Fixed it for you.

Olivia has wrestled during a period of time with massive changes to the opportunities for girl on girl wrestling in Ohio. When she started as a freshman, there was no option but to wrestle in the boys tournament. Because of her and lots of others before her, the transition to all girls wrestling in Ohio is almost complete. I think it's appropriate that she was able to place as a senior. She probably wanted to finish what she started. She may be the first and last girl placer, since the next generation will think it normal to wrestle at the girls state.

It is unfathomable reading some of the ignorant comments on here. Old142, get off your computer and get some help.

First of all, regardless of gender, wrestling is one of the hardest sports one can do. I think we all agree on that so let’s keep going.

Secondly, Olivia is not only the first girl to place in a state tournament, she’s also a state champion wrestler. So to me, that means she can hang with ANYONE on the mat. So it’s unbelievably sad that instead of celebrating her, we are having to argue with sexist bigotry.

So for all the bigots out there like Old142: Olivia Shore will go down as one of the best wrestlers in recent history and there should be no controversy in that. The only controversy is why Yappi moderators continue to allow spineless individuals like Old142 to post their unadulterated bigotry and ignorance all over this website. Especially when those same cowards would not say one word of this to the Shore family, let alone let someone say it about your own kids.

Must be nice to be fake tough. Shame on you.

Congratulations to Olivia. For you bigots, I really hope karma sends you what you deserve.

"But he gives up a State title by forfeiting....he gets a few jokes from his team mates for wooping a girl, I guess thats better than those younger competitors who are at least 2 years from puberty getting the jokes that comes from having a girl beat you." - Old142

It is this type of backwards thinking and mentality that really makes me think of George Carlin. Paraphrasing, he once said "Imagine how dumb the average person is, and then remember, half the people are even dumber than that."

Who cares if a girl can beat you? Seriously. Who cares? In all combat sports I have been involved in, there are girls or women of all weights who can beat men. It happens in jiu jitsu, wrestling, all of them. Training against boys or men often helps females develop their skills so they can be the best versions of themselves and reach their goals. Above all else, isn't this what we should want for all humans period? Focusing on gender, weight or age is just such a waste of time.

I once coached a high school wrestling team that had the 171, 189, 215 and HVY who had all been pinned at one time by Vanessa Oswalt in youth wrestling. None of them cared. They ended up being a state qualifier, state alternate, state qualifier and state champ respectively.

Proud to say that my daughter committed to Tiffin side by side with Olivia. I got to cover her accomplishment this weekend and share it with the thousands that follow the Ohio girls fb and Twitter pages. They all have her back and have the backs of all girls who step on the mat!!!

This is amazing. There is a lot of negative opinion towards Olivia on three different threads.This one was supposed to be About predictions at freshman state. Just wait till McKenna Craft officially hits the freshman circuit next year. I bet she qualifies and places in the Men’s bracket and we’re going to see the same rants and harsh threads again.

This is amazing. There is a lot of negative opinion towards Olivia on three different threads.This one was supposed to be About predictions at freshman state. Just wait till McKenna Craft officially hits the freshman circuit next year. I bet she qualifies and places in the Men’s bracket and we’re going to see the same rants and harsh threads again.

This is not the thread for freshman state - this thread is specifically about congratulating Olivia being the first female to place at the state tournament.

As far as a lot of negative opinion, from what I've seen it is actually just one negative opinion and it is just that that person is very boisterous about it. Have there been a lot of other negative opinions that I've missed?

You sir, are the epitome of an ignorant bigot. Nothing of what you say is based on fact or truth, but just the opinions of an angry white man threatened by the success of a female in a male dominated sport. Society is evolving, there's less and less room for bigotry, and your tiny brain and enormous ego can't handle it.

Nothing disparaging about the truth, and nothing I said disparages her character. You're forum "army of 5-6 "?? Don't like the truth about her placement and why...too bad. In closing to fortify my point ....How many boys her own age can she beat if in fact she isn't in an opportunistic scenario by weight and division ? ;) Ridiculous to condone girls competing against boys in a combat sport.....even though the "boys" are pre pubescent and 90% are under the age of 16 she occasionally can beat. Those attempting to act like the only reason she isn't wrestling MEN in college is because she is too light?? ...NOT THE FACT SHE WILL NOT ONLY NEVER WIN A MATCH AGAIN AGAINST MEN HER OWNJAGE , SHE WONT MAKE IT OUT OF THE FIRST PERIOD.....LOL
I think I figured this out. He just learned the word "opportunistic" and has been dying to use it In a sentence. The only logical thing I can come up with.

Regardless of what “critics” feel about the competition, what Olivia Shore accomplished was historic - being the first female to place in the state tournament. For anyone to pee on the campfire of a high school kid who accomplished what Olivia Shore accomplished is downright pathetic. This young lady worked her tail off for years to make history. She can’t control who she faced on the mat and she gave her absolute best effort every time - win or lose. Old142, you should be ashamed of yourself. You need to crawl in back into your pathetic little world of futility and dwell on the things you never accomplished yourself.

you'll always have your supporters and the others don't matter, congratulations on a wonderful tournament and placing. good luck to you and your family moving forward