Florida volunteers to host 2021 Olympics if Japan backs out due to COVID-19 concerns

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
As it currently stands, Tokyo is planning to hold the summer Olympics this year, which have been rescheduled from 2020. Despite confidence from those in charge of the event that the games will go off on time and in a safe manner, there are still growing concerns that they will be pushed back or canceled.

So, the state of Florida has decided to throw their hat in the ring in case Tokyo is unable to host. On Monday, Florida's chief financial officer Jimmy Patronis sent a letter to International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach asking that they consider taking the games to Florida.

They held the NBA Bubble in Orlando. It can be done but with no/limited fans, I don’t see the financial incentive

There's almost no way that Tokyo doesn't host this event with how much has been financially invested in it IMO. On the same hand, I can't imagine the IOC, even for how corrupt they are, agreeing to move the event given the current circumstances. There'd be no incentive for anyone in the future to pitch a bid costing into the tens of billions if the spotlight it brings isn't guaranteed if awarded the winning bid.

This thing is either happening this summer in Tokyo, or if the situation still looks concerning, it will happen in 2022 in Tokyo.

I dont see why it cannot be pushed the right again if need be. Hell, some still remember when the summer and winter were held in the same year.

If it cannot be held this summer, push it out another year.

I dont see why it cannot be pushed the right again if need be. Hell, some still remember when the summer and winter were held in the same year.

If it cannot be held this summer, push it out another year.

That will make 6 years between Olympics, that is a very long time and some of the sports with very short windows in an athlete's career will likely not be too happy.

My guess is they make it a longer schedule to allow for the athletes to quarantine for 2 weeks, bubble up from there. Also they need to cut out the insanely stupid opening and closing ceremonies.

That will make 6 years between Olympics, that is a very long time and some of the sports with very short windows in an athlete's career will likely not be too happy.

My guess is they make it a longer schedule to allow for the athletes to quarantine for 2 weeks, bubble up from there. Also they need to cut out the insanely stupid opening and closing ceremonies.
I personally enjoy the opening and closing ceremonies.

There was a 12 year gap between 1936 and 1948. Must not have been worrying about short windows then.

Based. That’s one thing you’ve got to appreciate about Asian Culture, they’re impervious to cancel culture.

You do realize they more important stuff to worry about in 1940 & 1944, don't you?
Dad was in the Pacific. Navy, on an LST. Years later, during 12 years in Berlin, I was able to acquire two books about the 1936 olympics. They are each a couple inches thick and about the size of a legal sheet of paper. One for summer and one for the winter games. Cigarette picture cards for all the events. No idea what they may be worth.

Dad was in the Pacific. Navy, on an LST. Years later, during 12 years in Berlin, I was able to acquire two books about the 1936 olympics. They are each a couple inches thick and about the size of a legal sheet of paper. One for summer and one for the winter games. Cigarette picture cards for all the events. No idea what they may be worth.
Like this? Interesting stuff.

Got them for a lot less than $400. Don't remember the DM to $ exchange rate at the time. Probably cost me $75 or less.