Filet-O-Fish

please don't judge me.... i go there for the atmosphere....

It’s not that I haven’t been a part of that lifestyle, but I quit all fast food over 10 years ago. I don’t miss it at all and it really woke me up as to how many people fill their kids up with fast food on a daily basis. My family eats pretty healthy and we do veer into some junk food now and then but for the most part my kids haven’t had fast food, maybe 5-6 times with other kids parents. One of my daughter’s middle school hoops carpool moms takes them weekly to McD after practice and my daughter opts out. When I found this out from another parent in the group, I couldn’t have been more proud of her.

It’s not that I haven’t been a part of that lifestyle, but I quit all fast food over 10 years ago. I don’t miss it at all and it really woke me up as to how many people fill their kids up with fast food on a daily basis. My family eats pretty healthy and we do veer into some junk food now and then but for the most part my kids haven’t had fast food, maybe 5-6 times with other kids parents. One of my daughter’s middle school hoops carpool moms takes them weekly to McD after practice and my daughter opts out. When I found this out from another parent in the group, I couldn’t have been more proud of her.
so when you do give in and give them junk food... what do you allow

and you read Playboy for the article. I'm with you brother.

Atmosphere and fish, I like Jolly Rogers in Port Clinton, right there on the beach. They'll give you plenty of perch and walleye for your money.

At one time we lived near Skaneateles, a quick trip off hwy90 near Syracuse. I'll still stop as sometimes headed to NH for this or that.

Beautiful town on that Finger Lake. Doug's Fish is SO good. They deep fry in peanut oil. They've a few outlets too. If in the area and hungry for fish and atmosphere, I'd recommend Skaneateles.

Guilty pleasure here as well. When my sons were little, I used to take them to our local McD's for a Happy Meal and sit in the booth next to the model train display someone installed, so they could watch. At the same time I'd be reminded of going there with my parents during the "You Deserve A Break Today" era.

Haven't done that for a while!

Guilty pleasure here as well. When my sons were little, I used to take them to our local McD's for a Happy Meal and sit in the booth next to the model train display someone installed, so they could watch. At the same time I'd be reminded of going there with my parents during the "You Deserve A Break Today" era.

Haven't done that for a while!
and also love ending the meal with a Hot Fudge Sundea.....:)

so when you do give in and give them junk food... what do you allow

Typical kids stuff. We just limit it a lot. We just don’t do fast food. I will qualify that sometimes they’ll get chain restaurant food, which to me is just a step above fast food. We try to eat clean. The fewer the ingredients the better. My daughter, just Sunday night, showed me an app that rates how clean a product is by scanning the UPC code from 0-100, lower being better. So what we’re doing is working. Yuka is the app.

Typical kids stuff. We just limit it a lot. We just don’t do fast food. I will qualify that sometimes they’ll get chain restaurant food, which to me is just a step above fast food. We try to eat clean. The fewer the ingredients the better. My daughter, just Sunday night, showed me an app that rates how clean a product is by scanning the UPC code from 0-100, lower being better. So what we’re doing is working. Yuka is the app.
you probably run in 10K's too , don't you? :)

you probably run in 10K's too , don't you? :)

Hell no lol. I’m just trying to live as long as I can while feeling good and limiting, or even eliminating, processed food is a major component in that. I could eat anything I wanted and still look great until I was about 30. Then, it started catching up to me. The drinking, late night drive thrus, high sugar/salt foods. It’s been around 7 years now that I’ve had no alcohol. Turned 50 a couple years ago. The alcohol had a lot to do with having kids and trying to set a good example. I grew up with alcoholic aunts uncles and grandparents who would flash me two, three, or four sideways fingers so I could run and make their drinks for them. So my first puking session from drinking around 11-12 years old after stealing their liquor was not a surprise to my parents.

At one time we lived near Skaneateles, a quick trip off hwy90 near Syracuse. I'll still stop as sometimes headed to NH for this or that.

Beautiful town on that Finger Lake.
Was up there about 12 years ago for a wedding. Never saw such a nearly crystal clear lake before. I understand it serves as the source of the local water supply.

Last edited:
Was up there about 12 years ago for a wedding. Never saw such a nearly crystal clear lake before. I understand it serves as the source of the local water supply.
Spring fed. Our house 15 minutes from town didn't have water lines when we first moved in. We ordered it by tanker truck into large cistern in the basement. I think the water came from that lake.We had been looking at a Victorian in-town. While sailing I saw a guest house for sale, big enough to live in year round near the south end of the lake but decided it too long a commute. Another bad eib decision.

Last edited:
I always order mine with a slice of tomato. That way I know it's fresh and I put salt and pepper on the tomato.

Speaking of adding something to a menu item. One of these days I'm going to try and order a McDouble with Big Mac sauce, lettuce and pickle to see if it's just like a Big Mac but cheaper. I don't need the extra bread with a Big Mac and I've been hearing about this for a long time.

Speaking of adding something to a menu item. One of these days I'm going to try and order a McDouble with Big Mac sauce, lettuce and pickle to see if it's just like a Big Mac but cheaper. I don't need the extra bread with a Big Mac and I've been hearing about this for a long time.
but they add a charge fot the MCdouble dress it like a Big Mac.. don't they?

I seldom eat at fast food places any more but when I do, it’s Hardee’s
1678130756262.jpeg