Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Canton McKinley

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • North Canton

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • Perry

Votes: 10 11.9%

• Total voters
Who is gonna replace Hay when they chase him out, Zetts?

Zetts would be a great fit for the program. I think ideally they would want to find a way to get Popio, Zetts, and Terry James (if they can convince him to come back). Any of those three guys would make great head varsity coaches. It would be great if they could get them all on the varsity staff. Hay's days are numbered:party: . No more quoting Shakespeare at the banquet :)

Zetts would be a great fit for the program. I think ideally they would want to find a way to get Popio, Zetts, and Terry James (if they can convince him to come back). Any of those three guys would make great head varsity coaches. It would be great if they could get them all on the varsity staff. Hay's days are numbered:party: . No more quoting Shakespeare at the banquet :)

Popio and Zetts maybe, but I don't think James has nearly enough experience to be the HC yet.

Popio and Zetts maybe, but I don't think James has nearly enough experience to be the HC yet.

cat hay had experience, and what did he do???!!! its high school baseball, just find someone who wants to coach,practice, and can make a solid lineup 1-9 with the best players!:hello:

The key is to find someone who knows how to coach, loves the game as much if not more than the players, and understands how to make a lineup with the kids that deserve to be playing and not b/c mommy or daddy says their son is a senior or I gave this much money to the baseball club. Look at what Knox did the past 2 years with Columbiana. He may have been a jerk but he WINS! Parents and players need to realize that the days of little Bobby playing his manditory 2 innings are long gone! High school sports are about winning and I don't care what anyone else says. A coach is being payed a decent amount of money to coach a high school team and they should be expected to win. Especially when you have a good talent pool to pick from.

THis group of seniors were 23 -2 as freshemen when Knox was at helm.. All hay did was take a 3 yr letter winner and move him to 3rd and take his best cf and move him to short great strategy.. Also batted faster guy 4th steal alot of bases in that spot. Hay worried about own agenda dosent care bout winning or making kids better.[/QUOTE

I agree with everything you said, except Boardman had their best centerfielder out there all season. SS should have been in left not center.

CF was not a problem at all but I think he would have been better at 3rd and Kmac at SS. Dinello in CF. Just my opinion.

The key is to find someone who knows how to coach, loves the game as much if not more than the players, and understands how to make a lineup with the kids that deserve to be playing and not b/c mommy or daddy says their son is a senior or I gave this much money to the baseball club. Look at what Knox did the past 2 years with Columbiana. He may have been a jerk but he WINS! Parents and players need to realize that the days of little Bobby playing his manditory 2 innings are long gone! High school sports are about winning and I don't care what anyone else says. A coach is being payed a decent amount of money to coach a high school team and they should be expected to win. Especially when you have a good talent pool to pick from.

AMEN!!:clap:

I am not going to enter into the discussion on your coaches ability. I think you folks are over stating the Spartan talent. I saw every team in the Fed and thre is nothing that makes me think you were a special team. I think maybe better than your record but I still think two years of absolute collapses once you were slept by the Bears points to a not mentally tough team. This year with the early tournament exit was disappointing to Jackson fans but the Bears showed up to play almost every game. The tourney game was some nerves and such a bad start to the game. I just think Bear teams are mentally tougher than Spartan teams. I can think of a few others I might say that about and certainly this years Perry team was.

I am not going to enter into the discussion on your coaches ability. I think you folks are over stating the Spartan talent. I saw every team in the Fed and thre is nothing that makes me think you were a special team. I think maybe better than your record but I still think two years of absolute collapses once you were slept by the Bears points to a not mentally tough team. This year with the early tournament exit was disappointing to Jackson fans but the Bears showed up to play almost every game. The tourney game was some nerves and such a bad start to the game. I just think Bear teams are mentally tougher than Spartan teams. I can think of a few others I might say that about and certainly this years Perry team was.

I would agree with you 100% but you are helping to prove my point. It is a coaches job to of course get his players ready to play physically but it is just as important to prepare your players mentally. How many times does a player make a mental mistake then it seems like the physical errors just come in bunches after that. If your players don't respect you, they will not listen and therefore they will not be prepared. On the other hand, there are players that will suck it up and go out and kick butt regardless of how effective/ineffective their coaches are. That is what sometimes seperates good teams from great teams. There weren't too many of those players on the Spartans roster this year.

Boardman lost in Sectionals 3 years in a row, which is an embarassment. They started the season off hot, and as the season went on, Hay lost his players. It became the players vs the coach instead of them both on the same page. Boardman has a Very nice young crop of players coming up led by Popio and Fithian. I really think Boardman NEEDS to find someone who the players will buy into, play hard for, and stay mentally focused. Something that Hay obviously didn't possess.
As for the players, Bear, the talent was obviously there in 2 D-1 Signees (top pitchers) and a few other players who can and should play at the D-2 or D-3 level if they pursue. It comes down to chemistry between a player and a coach, and it wasn't there the past 3 years.

And for whatever it's worth,Jackson won the FLC outright with a win over GlenOak on Friday, 1-0. Jackson finishes the season at 11-3, 23-5.

Just wish we could've gone further in the post-season. :dang:

default.asp

You are mistaken. I am sorry but you are underestimating the stupidity of Cat
Hay. The players tend to feed off the energey of their coach. Cat had absolutely no energy and coached these kids like they were his 50 year old buddies. He never motivated these players at all. It is very sad to see that when Boardman jumped on WGH in sectionals and had them on the ropes at their field Cat "The Guru" Hay calls a meeting in front of the dugout saying quote "What are you guys so excited about? It's just a game. Calm it down." Until you have seen and heard the things this guy does you will never understand what he did to these kids mentally and what he failed to teach them physically. He failed to develop any players because not for one day since the day he was hired did he give a coaching tip besides that the slide step is the dumbest thing ever. He talks to his friends on the fence while he is supposed to be coaching first. It's a shame! when the players see that how can they possibly think he is in the game. They want a coach that will go to war with them. All they got was a guy who quotes Shakespeare. On the other hand maybe Cat Hay AKA Doc Brown AKA Christopher Lloyd thought that they could hop in his Delorean and gun it to 88 mph and go back in time to the beginning of the season. But who knows with him :shrug: ... Absolute JOKE!!
default.asp

Christopher_Lloyd_cropped_2006__2in.jpg

You be the judge!! I didn't know Doc Brown coached baseball!!!

Boardman lost in Sectionals 3 years in a row, which is an embarassment. They started the season off hot, and as the season went on, Hay lost his players. It became the players vs the coach instead of them both on the same page. Boardman has a Very nice young crop of players coming up led by Popio and Fithian. I really think Boardman NEEDS to find someone who the players will buy into, play hard for, and stay mentally focused. Something that Hay obviously didn't possess.
As for the players, Bear, the talent was obviously there in 2 D-1 Signees (top pitchers) and a few other players who can and should play at the D-2 or D-3 level if they pursue. It comes down to chemistry between a player and a coach, and it wasn't there the past 3 years.

I for one didn't see anything from McCullough that would have made any D-1 program interested, but YSU is welcome to their opinion. I didn't see O'Brien either except the 1 inning he pitched against Perry, so I won't make any judgement based on that. However, all you Boardman people complained about who started against Perry and every alternative you named (Boyd, Parks, etc.) also have gotten beaten since then. I saw a mediocre pitching staff and mediocre hitting that resulted in the final Federal League results. Perry also had mediocre hitting this year, but they had the deepest pitching staff in the league and that carried them. They withstood the loss of a #2 pitcher who started the season with back to back 2 and 1 hitters. He would have been very valuable in the tournament, but the #3 did an admirable job.
Without dominant pitchers (plural) you are not going to be a consistant winner unless you are pounding the ball. Your coach may not have helped the situation, but even a great coach can't get a league championship out of a so-so team.

Perry won due to their ability to play small ball. Gamble is a very good manger and the Perry kids played with a ton of heart. I think they were one of the most fundamentally sound teams in the league. They were however inconsistent to the max. They lost games they never should have lost. This alone makes me wonder how deep the pitching really is. Jackson was inconsistent on defense and the games where they broke down they had problems. They had solid pitching and wonderful hitting but defensively they just did not play up to the previous years team. I do know the coach can make a difference but I still think the Boardman kids as a group minus the coach need to toughen up.

I saw O Brien and do not see him as a clear cut D 1 starter, he did have the misfortune to play with a so so defense behind him. I wish him luck. I do not find him a dead solid D 1 the the number two falls to d2 or d3 at best. This is just my opinion but I have seen a lot of baseball. If you get a chance to see Walsh Jesuit play (I know you probably can not) you will see a team with true D 1 pitching talent in great supply. I do think O Brien was one of your best hitters and I am sure he is a fine player.

I do not mean to be negative. Last year the two Jackson senior pitchers were one of the top starting combos in the state. As much as I loved watching them for three years they were not clear cut D 1 pitchers. You have to understand that some of the recruiting level comes from physical attributes. This is tip off to the chance that the kids will grow into what they need two. This does probably cost a few shorter and smaller kids shots when they may well be able to do it. This is the nature of the beast. You folks saw O Brien more than I have but this year at Jackson he showed a nice deuce but his heater was not over powering or that night showed much movement. This is why I said what I said. He is a fine high school pitcher and real competitor but a big time D 1 he was not that night. I know he got the scholly to BG and I wish him all the luck in the world and will be interested how he does up there.

Not sure how many games you saw..

Barley Breathing....

I have to agree with MOTOR....I am not sure how many games you saw from PERRY but they were highly consistent. With every aspect of their game except at the plate.

Yes, they do play small ball very well, but they showed (at times) that they can hit as well. Ask Jackson, it was not total SMALL BALL that beat them twice (9-4 & 7-4). That's 16 runs against arguably the best "Staff" in the county. You don't score 16 runs playing small ball.

As for Perry's Pitching staff. If the #2 had stayed healthy Green would not have scored 4 runs. They may have won 2-1 instead :) as Perry's bats fell apart.

I find it interesting that this was Gensley's first year without Gensley. The vikings won 18 games. And got bounced early. Watch hite coach. He goes straight to the coaching box. He doesn't say anything to the players at all. He yells at the pitchers during the game, and it's no where near anything positive. However he has 2 state titles in softball and is an alumn. Hite isn't going anywhere.

2nd the baseball team really doesn't have a whole lot of tradition to get back to.

Bearly, it wasn't Perry's pitching that was inconsistent, it was the hitting. They are 19-10 and have lost three games 2-1, one 2-0, and one 3-2. They have a team era of 1.8. In high school if you only give up 2 runs in a game you should win nearly 100% of the time. They did have a tendency to play to the level of their competition. Against the top 3 teams in the league they were 5-1, but against the bottom 4 they are 2-4. That defies all logic.

I find it interesting that this was Gensley's first year without Gensley. The vikings won 18 games. And got bounced early. Watch hite coach. He goes straight to the coaching box. He doesn't say anything to the players at all. He yells at the pitchers during the game, and it's no where near anything positive. However he has 2 state titles in softball and is an alumn. Hite isn't going anywhere.

2nd the baseball team really doesn't have a whole lot of tradition to get back to.

I completely agree with you about hite not motivating the team at all, he only makes the negative comments demeaning the pitchers and hitters but never really complimenting them. The worst part about this is Warner is even worse about this! I mean he benches two different players who he claims "didn't hustle" yet some of his stars never run out fly balls and he never says a word to them and trust me that sends a huge message to the players and fans.

Cat Hay is a horrible coach and should just step down as coach. Anyone with half a brain could do a better job than him. The guy thinks taking his players to dairy queen after the game is cool, ya maybe in little league this is a big time D1 program that needs a coach who knows what he is doing. Next years team should be OK at best, they lose a lot of good players and now they have some kids who think they are better than they really are. I will not name any names you know who you are, but if you need some help one is a pitcher that doesn't top 78 mph and thinks he is D1 material what a JOKE. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Cat Hay is a horrible coach and should just step down as coach. Anyone with half a brain could do a better job than him. The guy thinks taking his players to dairy queen after the game is cool, ya maybe in little league this is a big time D1 program that needs a coach who knows what he is doing. Next years team should be OK at best, they lose a lot of good players and now they have some kids who think they are better than they really are. I will not name any names you know who you are, but if you need some help one is a pitcher that doesn't top 78 mph and thinks he is D1 material what a JOKE. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Are you sure it is the kid who thinks he D-1 material or is the THE PARENTS who think he is D-1 material?

WHO'S WHO???

photo  1241663447793.jpg

Nice T-Shirt Cat!!!
The Cat Hay
250px-Doc_85.JPG

"Well, Alright.. I've never had a problem throwing strikes. I'm the best 57 year old pitcher in the nation."
10442.gif

future4.jpg

"I don't know much about the Federal League."

Last edited:
All those quotes are true, and nice fricking t-shirt cat hay, its a dang game people and hes wearing a T-SHIRT???????????????????? SOME COACH

Ohhhhh JohnnyDrama123 you have outdone yourself with that last post...LOL!! Thats just waaaaaaayyyyyyy to funny. Bravo to you young man!!! While we are at it, I thought the Spartans hats were pretty ugly this year. What say you?

Supposedly he'd get some kind of extra pension for his retirement if he coached the baseball team for 3 years. It's been 3 very long years. And 3 years of terrible coaching. Not that each team was very talented, but he did have SOME talent to work with. I don't think he's enjoying being the coach, and he's more focused on his pitching than his players. I think everyone around, including him, knows it's time to move on.

How about a result of the Boardman-Fitch game? Or some decision about when they are going to make it up.
Perry beat Hoover tonight 13-4 in 12 innings. Messer gets the win. Perry scores 9 runs in the top of the 12th with 2 out. This was the completion of the game suspended after 10 innings earlier in the year.

Hoovers season in a nut shell. 7 walks in the inning and of course an error. Great catch by Simm in rf to keep it close