Federal League 2022

Who will win the Federal League in 2022?

• GlenOak Golden Eagles

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • Green Bulldogs

Votes: 14 9.4%
  • Hoover Vikings

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • Jackson Polar Bears

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • Lake Blue Streaks

Votes: 34 22.8%
  • McKinley Bulldogs

Votes: 61 40.9%
  • Perry Panthers

Votes: 13 8.7%

• Total voters
I think the Panthers might of had a little Jackson hangover early in the game tonight. The Leps threw a new wrinkle in tonight moving their WR to QB, their QB to tailback, running a modified I formation using the option as their main weapon, with their tailback throwing on several occasions. Came back and took the lead over a pesky Louisville team at the half 19-14. Rolled in the second half and had another scoring drive stopped on the Leopards 5 with a fumble In the fourth quarter. Panthers defense came up with 4 interceptions in the second half that helped turned the tide. No pick 6’s, but all but one ended up a scoring drive. Final 40-14.

Last edited:
My brief attempt to rank the league:

THE CONTENDERS
1. Lake -- They've shown defensive prowess and this might be their year. However this is a very tenuous #1 until next week.
2. McKinley -- They undoubtedly played the hardest schedule in the league and may assume the top spot in 7 days.
3. Perry -- Final team outside of Lake and McKinley with a realistic say in the ultimate champion(s).

THE REST
4. GlenOak -- I don't want to rank the Eagles this high, but I'm deferring to strength of schedule. Jax/GO will tell a lot next week.
5. Jackson -- The Bears probably shouldn't be this high either. They have complete games one week and then next they don't.
6. Green -- Have given up 206 points defensively. They're not bad, but that's not sustainable.
7. Hoover -- Against their only real competition they've faltered by a pair of 42-9 blowouts.

This will be mixed up again very shortly without a doubt.

McKinley's early games have never been a good indication of how they will end up. they historically always improve as the season goes on.
Lake being a smaller school generally has less depth at position and has often been hindered by injuries late in the season. Let's hope everyone is healthy and look forward to a very competitive game.

Drew Pasteur has the league teams ranked this way:

#45 Lake
#49 McKinley
#66 Perry
#137 Jackson
# 141 GlenOak
# 142 Green
# 145 Hoover

So, the top 3 teams are very close, and the other 4 are very close. I'm not sure there's a single league game left where anyone can say with even 80% certainty who will win. Amazingly, every single Federal League team has already won a league game.

FINALS:

Jackson 38 GlenOak 0
Hoover 24 Perry 14
McKinley 36 Lake 26
Louisville 27 Green 23 (!)

While McK/Lake is about what you'd reasonably expect, it sure doesn't seem like the other three games are what anyone called for...

Well, Green lost. Had a 16 point lead in the second half and lost. That's what happens when you fumble kick returns twice. Defense had to have been on the field for 20 minutes that second half. Unbelievable.

Of all the Green football losses I've seen this might be the most frustrating. The game against Ashland where our receiver dropped a wide open pass in the end zone that would have tied the game, yeah that was rough. The time Green recovered a fumble deep in Central Catholic territory with a 6-0 lead and less than 2 minutes to go, but still managed to lose was brutal. The five empty trips inside Winton Wood's red zone were even more painful. And let's not forget the one point losses on the final play to Painesville Riverside in 2018, Jackson last year, and Tallmadge this year.

But tonight's loss tops them all. Absolutely incredible. Green is young, and I believe we will be better in 2023, but 2022 is simply not the year of the Bulldog. Looks like a 3-7 year, or 3-8 if we are lucky enough to sneak into the expanded playoffs. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see another win on the schedule. All Green fans can do is listen to the radio replay of the Massillon game and look forward to basketball season.

Well, Green lost. Had a 16 point lead in the second half and lost. That's what happens when you fumble kick returns twice. Defense had to have been on the field for 20 minutes that second half. Unbelievable.

Of all the Green football losses I've seen this might be the most frustrating. The game against Ashland where our receiver dropped a wide open pass in the end zone that would have tied the game, yeah that was rough. The time Green recovered a fumble deep in Central Catholic territory with a 6-0 lead and less than 2 minutes to go, but still managed to lose was brutal. The five empty trips inside Winton Wood's red zone were even more painful. And let's not forget the one point losses on the final play to Painesville Riverside in 2018, Jackson last year, and Tallmadge this year.

But tonight's loss tops them all. Absolutely incredible. Green is young, and I believe we will be better in 2023, but 2022 is simply not the year of the Bulldog. Looks like a 3-7 year, or 3-8 if we are lucky enough to sneak into the expanded playoffs. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see another win on the schedule. All Green fans can do is listen to the radio replay of the Massillon game and look forward to basketball season.
In all fairness though, Louisville is on the upswing compared to the last few seasons. Their losses really aren't too egregious, and they've beat two quality teams in Green and 5-2 Northwest. Don't know how long it will be before they are regularly competitive/dominant, but they aren't a team to take very lightly.

That being said, Green has games against a solid Perry team, a 5-2 (!) Hoover with some pretty glaring weaknesses, one of which Green can exploit well, and a Lake team that always seems to slump to the end of their schedule. All three are definitely very winnable games.

In all fairness though, Louisville is on the upswing compared to the last few seasons. Their losses really aren't too egregious, and they've beat two quality teams in Green and 5-2 Northwest. Don't know how long it will be before they are regularly competitive/dominant, but they aren't a team to take very lightly.

That being said, Green has games against a solid Perry team, a 5-2 (!) Hoover with some pretty glaring weaknesses, one of which Green can exploit well, and a Lake team that always seems to slump to the end of their schedule. All three are definitely very winnable games.
Louisville isn't as bad as their record, actually they have a solid defense. Its more about the way Green lost that's so frustrating. The team isn't going to mentally throw in the towel the rest of the way, but I think Perry, Hoover and Lake are just better this year. Hopefully Green can get one more win and bring some positive momentum into the offseason.

My revised very poor on the fly rankings and comparison to last week's equally bad predictions:

1. McKinley (+1)
2. Lake (-1)
3. Jackson (+2)
4. Hoover (+3)
5. Perry (-2)
6. GlenOak (-2)
7. Green (-1)

Jackson is really gonna rue that late collapse to Green, because otherwise they'd be in a tie for first with Lake, McKinley, and Hoover. Jax/McK and NCH/Lake will mostly determine the FLC next week!