Favorite unique Christmas songs...

Thavoice

2010 was turned onto this song.

Fairytale of New York by the Pogues featuring Kristy McCall.

You're welcome.

Timeless as ever. Are all the advertising people represented here? Everyone except Amalgamated Cheese!

I know this is a favorite songs thread, but I have to rant a bit. My least favorite and most hated Christmas song is "Last Christmas". All 500+ versions: Wham!, Taylor Swift, Ariana Grande, Carly Rae Jepson, Justin Beaver, Bing Crosby, Elvis, Willie Nelson, Janis Joplin, Lawrence Welk, Glenn Miller, Deep Purple or Johann Pachelbel ("in D").

Try to do a little Christmas shopping without hearing this irritating song in a store or on the radio. Enough already. :(

I know this is a favorite songs thread, but I have to rant a bit. My least favorite and most hated Christmas song is "Last Christmas". All 500+ versions: Wham!, Taylor Swift, Ariana Grande, Carly Rae Jepson, Justin Beaver, Bing Crosby, Elvis, Willie Nelson, Janis Joplin, Lawrence Welk, Glenn Miller, Deep Purple or Johann Pachelbel ("in D").

Try to do a little Christmas shopping without hearing this irritating song in a store or on the radio. Enough already. :(
Celebrities trying to make it seem cool.

Last Christmas was written in 1984. Seems odd that so many dead people recorded it.

Lyrics are standard, but the singing, guitar solos and arrangement knock it out of the park. Joan Jetts' Little Drummer Boy.

Also, a bit laid back but I have always loved John Denver's Christmas for Cowboys.

Hard to beat the Kinks though. Kudos to bob22

Last edited:
I'm thinking BlackHawk might have meant "White Christmas".
"White Christmas" is a classic.

"Last Christmas" gets on my nerve. Yes, I know it was a Wham! song from the eighties. I was just joking about some of the older artists... it just seems like everybody has a version of the sappy "Last Christmas".

Not an actual Christmas song, but apropos for the season;
...it always reminded me of Ideal's 'Mr.Machine.

From 1967 Snoopy's Christmas
~ based on their previous #2 hit(Snoopy vs. The Red Baron) and
inspired by an actual event during WW-I: The Christmas truce of 1914.

background ...

:>---

SALT

As I tend to say on here, in my neighborhood, This Christmas by Howard University's Donny Hathaway is always a hit!

Someday at Christmas by Stevie Wonder

And anything off the Temptations Christmas album

As I tend to say on here, in my neighborhood, This Christmas by Howard University's Donny Hathaway is always a hit!
Was very surprised to find out he released this in 1970. I think I first heard it in the early 1980's on a local station we didn't play "in my neighborhood", lol, but it pushed all the presents-and-pumpkin-pie buttons for me right away. It's the only modern-era Christmas song I have in my upper pantheon.

No covers, please - it's Hathaway or the highway.

Last edited:
SNL Christmas carols. From the very first season with the quirky "Winter Wonder Land" I was hooked on their Christmas songs. The one with Jimmy Fallon is strangely addictive. I don't know what it is about it but I cannot help but watch it. The Tonto, Frankenstein and and Tarzan and the" Christmas for the Jews" are so politically incorrect that they are hilarious.